A Big-Boards Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LGNetw0rk View Post
    I didn't know if you were serious or not. But no, other languages are not something I am interested in, not only for this project, but for anything.
    Sad to hear.
    That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by walter View Post
      Not true. One of my forums has more than one million posts and currently about 1000 users
      And I know a few more such forums...
      As I said, very slim chances, but not unheard of, obviously. IMO, any forum with less than 5000 registered members doesn't qualify as a big board anyway. Most boards with 1k users and a million posts would be just spam or RSS breeding grounds. Since the advent of RSS and people's using it to artificially inflate their posts into hundreds of thousands in a matter of weeks, registered users certainly carry much more weight than posts now, so the requirement should be dual.
      Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

I do know for a fact that member count doesn't matter that much. There is even a hack at vbulletin.org that will create members for you. Many big board owners prune inactive members before they prune posts.
        Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
          I do know for a fact that member count doesn't matter that much. There is even a hack at vbulletin.org that will create members for you. Many big board owners prune inactive members before they prune posts.
          Couldn't agree more Not only that but there's RSS feed bots now that can spam BBC news posts in your forums every day.
          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Yea well, the less reputable admins inflate their post counts before their members usually. At least that was the common impression I got from seeing quite a few. You can fake a member count, but you can't fake activity. Not in the long run, anyway.

As for pruning members, those with 0 posts, sure, but I don't know of any board that would prune users just because of inactivity. Certainly no board that isn't so gigantic that deleting a few thousand members wouldn't even make a dent in the member count. And for such boards this discussion is irrelevant, because they'd have way more than 5k members and 500k posts anyway.

Originally posted by Dilly
            Narrow viewpoint much?
            Not really, no. But you're always free to show some exceptions to the rule.
            Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

Originally posted by Gladius View Post
              Yea well, the less reputable admins inflate their post counts before their members usually. At least that was the common impression I got from seeing quite a few. You can fake a member count, but you can't fake activity. Not in the long run, anyway.

As for pruning members, those with 0 posts, sure, but I don't know of any board that would prune users just because of inactivity. Certainly no board that isn't so gigantic that deleting a few thousand members wouldn't even make a dent in the member count. And for such boards this discussion is irrelevant, because they'd have way more than 5k members and 500k posts anyway.

Not really, no. But you're always free to show some exceptions to the rule.
              One of my private community has 5+Mill posts. It has 3800 members, give or take a couple. Would you consider a board like that to have inflated post counts?

When a person is invited by another member they agree to the terms of service and one section deals with member inactivity. If you don't post within a week of your account being approved the account is deleted. If you don't post for 60 days your account is deleted.

All of the members are active. I get roughly 1500 new posts every day.

It is very easy for very few members to create a large number of posts. My newest forum has 61 members, all are active, and has 31K+ posts in 3 months. It does have one usenet forum that accounts for 8K posts, but, my members made roughly half of them.

Member count can be very deceiving.
              Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

One of my private community has 5+Mill posts. It has 3800 members, give or take a couple. Would you consider a board like that to have inflated post counts?
                I do believe I've made it a point to note that exceptions exist. Though when no one is willing to post them, or when they're all "private", it makes it rather hard to check them out.

When a person is invited by another member they agree to the terms of service and one section deals with member inactivity. If you don't post within a week of your account being approved the account is deleted. If you don't post for 60 days your account is deleted.
                If that works for you, great. But obviously restrictions of this kind that actually work are extremely rare.

Congrats. One can't help but wonder what kind of private community that could be. Drop me a link in PM unless it's so secret that no one can see it.

It is very easy for very few members to create a large number of posts. My newest forum has 61 members, all are active, and has 31K+ posts in 3 months. It does have one usenet forum that accounts for 8K posts, but, my members made roughly half of them.

I'll argue the "very easy" bit with the plainly obvious fact that by and large, it is not "very easy" for boards with few members to create a large number of legit posts. Take a random 100 message boards and see how many will have a small number of members and 1+ mil legit posts. Really few, if any.

But, as I've made it clear enough, exceptions always exist. I just find it silly when people try to make exceptions into rules, which just doesn't reflect reality.

Comment

As I said, very slim chances, but not unheard of, obviously. IMO, any forum with less than 5000 registered members doesn't qualify as a big board anyway. Most boards with 1k users and a million posts would be just spam or RSS breeding grounds. Since the advent of RSS and people's using it to artificially inflate their posts into hundreds of thousands in a matter of weeks, registered users certainly carry much more weight than posts now, so the requirement should be dual.
                  Not true really. I only have 200+ members and over 143,000 posts in 5 months.
                  I can account for every post ever made by every member.

Your rationing is very flawed.

Also if you want to list your forum on a list (both big boards and small boards) you can always list them on www.thebiggestboards.com.
                  EuphoricArythmia | URLJet Hosting

Comment

What about the quality of posts? I found that if you invoke members to post, this would increase the number of "thank you" and "LOL" posts, in addition to the copied & pasted content from the internet.

Regards
                    Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldilocks View Post
                      Not true really. I only have 200+ members and over 143,000 posts in 5 months.
                      I can account for every post ever made by every member.

Also if you want to list your forum on a list (both big boards and small boards) you can always list them on www.thebiggestboards.com.
                      Every post?? all 143,000 posts?? WOW! I am pretty good on all of my forums, but admit that I probably miss a few, and my forums are no where near that busy, lol

Comment

You guys are very interesting. Keep the lovely argument.
                        Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

Argumentative and off-topic posts removed. I suggest people stay out of this thread if their only content is insulting others. Infractions will be given.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

But seriously, the chances of a board having over 500k posts with less than 5k members are very slim. Minimum 5k members should be a requirement for listing.
                            Completely untrue, one of my sites has 665 members and has 500,000 posts and would have almost 3/4 of a million of it's not pruned.

I do think though that a big-boards competitor needs to be developed, my users tend to use it as a bragging measure but it's useless trying to tell them that it's not that great of a thing to be high up on the list anymore on that site.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X