Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Big-Boards Alternative

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Big-Boards Alternative

    Alright, so I'm sure you've read the thread about the busiest vBulletin powered forum. I'm sure you have then noticed how it went off topic about how Big-Boards is now unreliable.

    Well, unfortunately, it's true. www.Big-Boards.com is a site that I, and I'm sure many others, used to find very useful. It is a shame it rarely gets updated anymore.

    Surprisingly, however, there doesn't seem to be any other sites with the sole purpose of listing the biggest communities on the internet.

    I think that this would be a great project to start; creating a Big-Boards alternative, that would be, of course, free, reliable, fast, detailed, and up-to-date.

    What do you think? Would anyone be interested in building it with me? It could have a nice, glossy Web 2.0 theme, be very organized and categorized in many ways, and just mainly be a very useful tool for the administrator community as a whole.

  • #2
    I think that would be an smart idea. It's to bad that site is not updated. It has great potential. If you put the effort in it and keep it updated. Im sure you could someday beat big-boards.com And what is funny i
    that no one has ever(that i know of) tried to make a big boards alternative. I say go for it. I can help you but i only no basic html
    Last edited by serverguy84; Wed 30 Jan '08, 4:57pm.

    Comment


    • #3
      What makes you think you wont run into the exact same problem them they're having? I mean, that's a pretty big project.

      Comment


      • #4
        I would be a load of work to begin with. There'd be so many forums to get up. However, once you're done with that, how often does a forum hit over 500,000 posts? Compared to what I would go through trying to list every forum possible that meets that (or another) requirement, adding new forums would be nothing.

        I also have the dedication to do it. I would really love being the owner of one of the most useful tools in the forum world. I mean, Big-Boards was great, but, it was.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, Big Boards isn't just a list... they also have some pretty good tracking technology that regularly updates (and stores) the stats of all kinds of different message board software used on the sites it lists. If you just wanted to make a list of sites above 500k posts, it'd be a hell of a lot easier.
          Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

          Comment


          • #6
            I'd be willing to help you out with a German translation (if desired).
            That's the end of that!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gladius View Post
              Well, Big Boards isn't just a list... they also have some pretty good tracking technology that regularly updates (and stores) the stats of all kinds of different message board software used on the sites it lists. If you just wanted to make a list of sites above 500k posts, it'd be a hell of a lot easier.
              big-boards is rubbish,just check this -
              http://rankings.big-boards.com/?filt...letin,all&p=62
              there is a forum with 390 members listed as a big board.

              I can setup RSS posting and get 500000+ posts within a week,
              will that make my forums a big board ? hell NO
              UNP - Auto Forum India - Playway

              Comment


              • #8
                There would need to be some kind of balance between the automation of the update of the information, and the verification of it's accuracy.

                I've written a spider to watch a few boards to monitor their use and size/growth etc. Though if it's known it can be augmented.
                I wrote ImpEx.

                Blog | Me

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by unitedpunjab View Post
                  big-boards is rubbish,just check this -
                  http://rankings.big-boards.com/?filt...letin,all&p=62
                  there is a forum with 390 members listed as a big board.

                  I can setup RSS posting and get 500000+ posts within a week,
                  will that make my forums a big board ? hell NO
                  Heh, I'm sure they paid the fee to get listed. Apparently, anything goes if you pay. But seriously, the chances of a board having over 500k posts with less than 5k members are very slim. Minimum 5k members should be a requirement for listing.

                  Oddly enough though, that forum appears to have legit 500k posts... most of the posts are in the spam forum, and there doesn't seem to be any RSS leeching... just plain old user post spamming. But how under 400 people could manage to do that is beyond me... posts per user would need to be ridiculously high... over 1000 posts per user on average. Uh...?
                  Last edited by Gladius; Thu 31 Jan '08, 4:10pm.
                  Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would definitely make the listing rules clear. I wouldn't want to have any weird exceptions or anything.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gladius View Post
                      the chances of a board having over 500k posts with less than 5k members are very slim.
                      Not true. One of my forums has more than one million posts and currently about 1000 users
                      And I know a few more such forums...
                      More than 10 years experience in building communities!
                      Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LGNetw0rk View Post
                        I would definitely make the listing rules clear. I wouldn't want to have any weird exceptions or anything.
                        You didn't comment on my proposal so I guess you are not interested?
                        That's the end of that!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I didn't know if you were serious or not. But no, other languages are not something I am interested in, not only for this project, but for anything.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            LOL. What?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by walter View Post
                              Not true. One of my forums has more than one million posts and currently about 1000 users
                              And I know a few more such forums...
                              Please let us know on what topic your board is based on ! if you wish you can post domain name so that we can have a look over it.
                              Thanks

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X