Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vbulletin vs drupal vs vbdrupal

Hello,

i know vbdrupal was made for vbulletin, but isn't drupal safer ??? ie for hacking against ??

what do you guys advise to use?

drupal & bridge

or vbdrupal?

any vbdrupal users here?

grtz

vBdrupal is a fork of drupal - that basically means if Drupal updates you have to wait for the vbDrupal guys to come out with a new fork, ie version of vBdrupal.

If you used Drupal and a bridge you would just be waiting on the bridge to come out - so will be able to upgrade without having to wait (but may have to do without integration for that time).

What do you need drupal for anyway? Articles? news? Have you looked at GARS and vBa Dynamics?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257396
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by drgonzo120 View Post
      i know vbdrupal was made for vbulletin, but isn't drupal safer ??? ie for hacking against ??
      Neither is "safer" than the other. Both drupal and vbulletin have input sanitation, bt there's still a chance for a security bug here and there.
      You won't get any extra security by using vbdrupal.

Originally posted by drgonzo120 View Post
      what do you guys advise to use?

drupal & bridge

or vbdrupal?

any vbdrupal users here?
      What bridge? vbDrupal is, afaik, the only fully working integration of Drupal with vBulletin. The other two sollutions (drupalvb and drupaltin) are either very outdated, or only provide a partial solution.

And as Razasharp said, vbDrupal is a port. So you'll have to wait for the devs to apply the changes from a new version of Drupal. For minor Drupal updates (e.g. 5.x yo 5.y) this only takes a couple of minutes time. And so far vbDrupal has been updated within 48 hours time after the new Drupal release (I would have said 24 hours, but the last release was badly timed, didn't have any time the 24 hours after the Drupal release).
      Magicball Network - Little Big Adventure Community [admin]
      the Unreal Admin Page - Unreal Tournament Server Administration Community [admin]
      vbDrupal - Drupal integration with vBulletin [core developer]

Comment

El_Muerte - can I ask how much of Drupal is changed before it becomes vBDrupal?

Cheers!

Comment

this much (i.e. 8 file edits, 20 code changes in total, although the 3 edits to the blog.module are not really required)
          the Unreal Admin Page - Unreal Tournament Server Administration Community [admin]

Comment

That's not as much as I first thought El_M.

I think I asked you this before, but can you take two seperate installs, ie one for vB and one of Drupal and then merge them into a vbDrupal install?

Also, if you start out with vB Drupal and decide to seperate them back into seperate installs, ie the drupal side back into drupal and the vb side back into vB - is that possible?

Comment

there is a conversion script to convert a Drupal install to vBulletin, but it requires a clean vBulletin installation. Merging an existing Drupal and vBulletin into vbDrupal+vBulletin is not possible (it's a serious conversion hell with renumbering userids). But you might be able to do the trick using the conversion script and ImpEx (to import the previous vBulletin install into the clean vBulleitn install).

separating vbDrupal to become a standalone vBulletina nd Drupal is easy. All you need to do is move/copy the tables (or overwrite vbDrupal with Drupal and uninstall the product in vBulletin).

Comment

Thanks for the info El_Muerte.

It's good to hear that you can revert to seperate installs if you decide to - and that makes me more inclined to give it include it in my shortlist (for my current project).

Do you think you will have a Drupal 6 version soon?

Is usergroup info shared between drupal and vB? (eg is_member_of usergroup)

Is it also possible to access vB profile info in Drupal (or vice versa if you use a Drupal profile page) on pages such as drupal articles/news pages (or vb forum pages if using Drupals profile)?

Finally, can we still choose the option of comments of Drupal articles to either be in Drupal or vB (I vaguely remember this was an option?). And what are the advantages disadvantages of either?

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by El_Muerte View Post
                  ...The other two sollutions (drupalvb and drupaltin) are either very outdated, or only provide a partial solution..
                  As much as I appreciate the hard work (I really do!), it seems to me that vbDrupal is outdated as well at this moment. I am facing a decision as to what CMS I am going to deploy for a new portal.

The lack of any comment on when a version of vbDrupal 6.x is bound to see the light of day makes me question if vbDrupal keeps beeing updated.
                  Wat You See Is What I Could Have Meant
                  D-DIG.NL -
                  Hèt trefpunt voor alles over digitale fotografie op internet... En meer!

Comment

I heard some good reviews from solutions using Joomla! 1.5.x + JFusion + vBulletin

Comment

Originally posted by Deriel View Post
                      I heard some good reviews from solutions using Joomla! 1.5.x + JFusion + vBulletin
                      Joomla? Yikes! Drupal FTW.
                      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Originally posted by simsim View Post
                        Joomla? Yikes! Drupal FTW.
                        I agree with you. But the forums in Drupal are the worst part of the it and the integration with vB isn't that good. The vbDrupal is a possibility, but we need vbDrupal with Drupal 6.

vBulletin is the core of my solution. I need something that integrates nicely with vB and Joomla! have this solution (more than one, in fact), Drupal do not - yet.

Comment

I noticed this thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255264

And I would love to hear from el_muerte if this has anything to do with anything.

Is it your intention to let others create a vbDrupal fork? Do you need / want assistance? I can imagene that all these calls for help seem egocentric, you've got a point there. But I'd say: make a statement, here and on vbDrupal, that would help a lot. I myself am definately willing to assist wherever I can.
                          D-DIG.NL -

Comment

Or not...

See, that's the problem. No offence.
                            D-DIG.NL -

Comment

Yes, it's a pity. I'm very tempted to use vbDrupal but it's quickly falling behind the main Drupal development line.
                              - TomJames

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X