Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onimua
    replied
    I've been reading the additional information, and looking up the links and the story is definitely more intriguing than at first glance. Thanks for that. The Slusho site is also kind of nice.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    If the complete and full story was a huge book to read, I'd totally buy it

Leave a comment:

• Vile
    replied
    Yeah, this is pretty typical of JJ Abrams...One reason I love Lost, is because there are so many 'easter egg' types of things in the show that are very easy to miss, but make a lot of sense if you notice it.

As for Cloverfield, there is quite a bit to the story/history & background of the monster.

Lots of good info here:
    http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com...n-missing.html
    http://1-18-08.livejournal.com/

Someone else summed it up pretty well:

The generally accepted background is that the monster has been underwater all this time, in a deep sea crevice that we previously couldn't reach. JJ Abrams himself said: "[The Monster]’s a baby. He’s brand-new. He’s confused, disoriented and irritable. And he’s been down there in the water for thousands and thousands of years."

The longer story is that a Japanese mining company called Tagruato created brand new deep sea drilling technology and began opening mining stations around the world in 1991. In September 2007 they open one near New York, called the Chuai Station. The company is less than ethical and attracts the attention of militant Greenpeace-esque environmental activist groups, one of which is called TIDO who hack the Tagruato website and make nasty claims. On November 27th Tagruato launched its first satellite, named Hatsui. On December 18th something is detected on sonar and 9 days later the Chuai station mysteriously collapses. They put out a bunch of international news reports about it as part of the ARG, the English version you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarNwKx5mGY
    On January 3rd, Tagruato mention that they're going to use the Hatsui satellite to try to identify something which fell into the Atlantic, which they assume to be a piece dislodged from the Japanese government satellite ChimpanzIII. This, presumably, is what we see land in the ocean off Coney Island in the movie. How it relates to the rest of the story though is anyone's guess, because it seems almost totally unrelated.
    Either way, 15 days later, the Monster attacks New York. It seems likely that the Chuai station's deep seabed drilling somehow disturbed the Monster.

Parallel to all this, there's a connected but slightly ambiguous storyline involving Slusho, a popular soft drink in Asia. Slusho is introduced in 2005 and contains a secret ingredient which is later referred to as "seabed nectar". Slusho is also discovered to be a subsidiary company of Tagruato, establishing suspicious links between the two. Newspaper clippings and the like are found (or leaked by whistle blowers within the company) expressing concerns about the harmful side effects of drinking Slusho, while the company campaigns for FDA approval to sell the drink in America. On January 4th, Rob (the main guy in the movie) makes a post on his Myspace page saying he's offered a job marketing Slusho, which explains why he was going to be leaving for Japan. On January 10th Slusho is approved for sale in America, and on January 15th the Tagruato CEO flies to New York to discuss distribution deals, where he is assumed to have been caught up in the Monster attack. There are all kinds of theories that the "seabed nectar" in Slusho is the eggs of the Monster and so on, but so far it's pretty much impossible to work out the connection.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Yep

Leave a comment:

• Vile
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    I was invited to a private pre-screening in a cinema in Amsterdam today, as a birthday present. So I went. And I had a great time. It's an awesome movie up until the point where I went: Wait.. they build up stuff, then I feel like we're finally halfway and then it turned out to be the end. Oh ok.. disappointing. They show enough of the monster, don't tell enough of the monster....
    That's because there will most likely be a sequel. Did you miss the very end? The video that was recorded over, at Coney Island...The "thing" dropping in the water? Did you stay after the credits and listen to the recording?

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    I rather liked it, and for being a January movie, it was actually pretty good. I like the feel of the film (it's set to be like picked up the camcorder and played the last thing that was recorded on the tape) and I "got" what the movie was about and the kind of story it was trying to portray.

Yes, it has a first-person perspective view like Blair Witch, but to be honest I really didn't think of it like that when watching it. To be honest, actually watching the movie and thinking about it after, the way the movie was done made sense. If you are going to see it, I would say to see it at least once in movie theaters to get that epic feel; some of the shots really looked nice on the big screen (not to mention the monster was ugly too ).

If there's a sequel, I'd most likely see it.

Leave a comment:

• Mainer82
    replied
    So it is similar to the way Blairwitch was filmed? I'm not interested then.

Leave a comment:

• whitetigergrowl
    replied
    What else would you expect for a VeggieTale movie? O_o

Leave a comment:

• jasonlitka
    replied
    I considered going to see that yesterday but ended up seeing the VeggieTales movie instead. Parts were pretty funny but on the whole it was slow-moving and disappointing, especially at a matinée rate of $8.00...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475998/

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I was invited to a private pre-screening in a cinema in Amsterdam today, as a birthday present. So I went. And I had a great time. It's an awesome movie up until the point where I went: Wait.. they build up stuff, then I feel like we're finally halfway and then it turned out to be the end. Oh ok.. disappointing. They show enough of the monster, don't tell enough of the monster.

But regardless if I liked the movie or not, I think it was pretty cool to see how the directory and producer to 'modern age' phenomena such as recording everything with cameras to the limit and shoot a movie as such. And I think that was done well.

The unique approach to the trailer was more of a 'omg wow' factor then the actual movie. Which was what.. just over an hour long.

I have to say, I think it is good it didnt' last 2 hours.. but it constantly felt like a build up and not a progressing story.

I am glad I saw it in the cinema though, I think this would be more disappointing on a DVD.

I didn't mind watching it, I am glad I've seen it, and I am sure there will be a second movie.

Leave a comment:

• Karri
    replied
    bring ginger ale and Dramamine if you go see it.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I didn't think it was must see from the very first time that I saw the movie trailer. I ranked it as a DVD or HBO see at that time.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Well, it is just a monster movie

Leave a comment:

• Weapon-x
    started a topic Cloverfield

Cloverfield

Just to let you know this movie is a NOT must see. It's pretty much a spin off of another blairwitch project.

The movie was over anticipated.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X