X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Micro Acquires MySQL for $1 Billion

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html

*sigh* MySQL acquired...ARRRGHH
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Don't know why you say "ARRRGHH". MySQL AB has been trying to expand for quite some time and already offers both commercial and GPL license versions of their software. Being acquired by Sun will allow them to better compete against Microsoft and Oracle as well as provide Sun with better tools in their arsenal for their own OS and Server lines. All around this should result in more competition in the Commercial and Corporate arenas where Sun already has a foothold with their server lines and provide more diversity into the marketplace.

The people who should be going "AAARRGHH" should be those over at Postgres. Arguably, their system is better than MySQL but is still relegated to the niche corners of the database marketplace. With this acquisition, their position will most likely be further eroded in the marketplace.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

This is very good news.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS
        I hope the free version still stays the same, well obviously with updates and stuff, you know what I mean.
        They are going to charge $999 per download now JakeS.

Comment

I hope the free version still stays the same, well obviously with updates and stuff, you know what I mean.
          Sun is actually a very large supporter of open source software. They are the company behind Open Office.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I think it's a good move too.

I use Open Office on my PC Would be cool if they brought out an Open OS
            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Interesting, who is it aimed at?
              What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

I know, I use open office on my linux
                Like i had to upgrade from Fedora 6 (Using FC8 now).
                For the record, it hasn't been FC since 6. They dropped the name to just Fedora with the release of Fedora 7 (Moonshine).

I use gedit and AbiWord, but I have OOo for the occasional doc as well.

In regard to the actual topic, this is going to be a bit interesting to see where MySQL will go, now. I wonder who will benefit the most out of this, and what changes we'll see in the future.
                Last edited by Chousho; Wed 16 Jan '08, 4:12pm.

Comment

I have a lot of respect for Sun, I think this will be a good thing.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I doubt they will change MySQL open source to a closed source commercial solution. Surely they will create solutions like mysql.com is currently moving towards too, but I really think this is great news.

Comment

Even Sun's Java is available under GPL now. So I guess there's indeed no reason to be worried about MySQL's open source future
                      Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and vB3Forever.org!

Comment

I''ve worked with Sun Microsystem's enterprise products for nearly 10 years now, and they are a top notch organization. I think this will possibly bring MySQL to a whole new level of enterprise capabilities, while retaining the OpenSource versions. Time will tell, but I think it's a good move, and should allow some nice horsepower for the MySQL team.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                          They are going to charge $999 per download now JakeS.
                          Oh that must their discounted price.
                          www.christianforumsite.com
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                            Interesting, who is it aimed at?
                            Solaris is a real enterprise Unix. It is great for development as well. Personally I think it beats the pants off Linux.

Comment

Well after testing it out, I found my self wondering.. how can they charge for this? It's not that much different than any other basic build of unix or linux, its just a different themed *nix that needs registration.
                              Umm, Linux is only the kernel. The GNU OS is not the same thing as Unix. What you're most likely judging the two is by the DE. Even though GNU/Linux and Unix based systems may use the same interface only belies the fact that the underlying code is separate in its own right.

As well, GNU/Linux is more modular than Unix and BSD derivatives. You can plug and play in a sense.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X