X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ---MAD---
    replied
    Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
    Heh, I just noticed something rather amusing.

The OP's poll options are:

Yes, it should be banned entirely
    No, it shouldn't be banned (State reasons)

...isn't it funny how those who agree that smoking should be banned don't have to give a reason, yet those free-thinkers who beleive smoking SHOULD NOT be banned (such as myself) have to give a reason.

I repeat:
    Thats because he has given the reasons to ban it already.

Also I agree, smoking should be banned.

Ah, but isn't it also selfish of non-smokers to tell those who do like to smoke that they can only do it in certain places?

Double-standards...
    You could say that about people wanting to do drugs as well. Doing drugs is illegal.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Heh, I just noticed something rather amusing.

The OP's poll options are:

...isn't it funny how those who agree that smoking should be banned don't have to give a reason, yet those free-thinkers who beleive smoking SHOULD NOT be banned (such as myself) have to give a reason.

I repeat:

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by chaselafon View Post
    Do I mind people smoking in their own homes? No. But that's not the case is it - they're filling public places such as restaurants and movie theatre lobbies with toxic smoke that could harm the lungs of a child or another person who had no intention to smoke.

Yes, these establishments have the ability to ban smoking, but what if they don't? Should people who do not smoke be subjected to this health hazard? I think not. I'm fine with allowing them to do it within their own homes, but doing it in public is selfish and harmful to other people.
    Ah, but isn't it also selfish of non-smokers to tell those who do like to smoke that they can only do it in certain places?

Double-standards...

Leave a comment:

• Chazel
    replied
    Do I mind people smoking in their own homes? No. But that's not the case is it - they're filling public places such as restaurants and movie theatre lobbies with toxic smoke that could harm the lungs of a child or another person who had no intention to smoke.

Yes, these establishments have the ability to ban smoking, but what if they don't? Should people who do not smoke be subjected to this health hazard? I think not. I'm fine with allowing them to do it within their own homes, but doing it in public is selfish and harmful to other people.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I voted yes, but with that I mean in public places, etc. If someone wants to smoke, that is fine with me. I just don't enjoy it when someone next to me let's me share their nasty habbit with me. Everybody can do in their own house etc what they want. I have no problem with it being totally banned from public places, etc.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    I think people should have the freedom of choice to do what the hell they want in their own house, if they want to smoke, let them.

To all the anti smoke people:

It's not your life that's getting affected by the smoke, its theirs, so shut up about it.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    I think pregnant women should be banned from smoking, but other than that I think people should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their own health There is about as much evidence saying that passive smoking kills as there is saying passive smoking has no side effects. I too have asthma, and my mother smokes when I visit her and she gets angry when I tell her not to smoke around me but that's her choice and it's her house. She can't smoke in bars or public places anymore, so the only times I get barraged with smoke is in other peoples houses.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    My opinion is that you are being a giant zealot.

Live and let live.

Of course smoking should not be banned altogether.

It's an utterly ridiculous suggestion, and I'm wondering if you're really being serious here.

Leave a comment:

• RichM
    started a poll Should smoking be banned altogether?

Should smoking be banned altogether?

54.55%
    45.45%
    Should smoking be banned altogether? (In the UK)

One thing that annoys me is smokers, especially the ones who light up when there are other people around them. (non-smokers) My parents both smoke, and my father is pretty much a chain smoker. I'm unable to say anything about it to him without him getting a bad temper. I suffer from Asthma, probably a result of my mother smoking whilst pregnant, and its effects are noticeable on a daily basis due to the fact that they smoke in areas which I need to go to. Of course, I try to avoid it, but obviously there are times when I need to access other areas of the house.

If people wish to cause harm to themselves, then that's entirely their problem in my opinion. But given that smoking is harmful and is not essential (unlike transport) I do not understand why it's still legal. Comments like "smoking will never be banned because the government make too much money in tax" are unjustified, because the government actually spend more money on the NHS for smoking related illnesses...

I personally think that smoking should be banned altogether. In my opinion, the government are just fueling an unnecessary addiction which causes illnesses, death and even non-smokers are harmed as a result of the actions from smokers. (Take a baby or a young child for example, whose parents both smoke. The health of this child is likely to be affected to some degree)

What are your opinions? If you're against the idea of banning smoking altogether, then I'd appreciate it if you could give GOOD reasons, other than "people should have the freedom to do whatever they want", as that reason has flaws as indicated in my paragraphs above. (i.e. harm caused to others)

- Rich
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X