X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creepshow
    replied
    Yeah, because smoking is equivelent to murdering someone.

"lol"

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
    See, you've lost the argument and have resorted to ridiculous comments like that.

Pathetic.
    lol. Right over your head. :roll:

Your arguement seems to be based on the fact that smoking should not be illegal because you have an authority complex and don't like being told what to do. If that's the case, why not make murder legal - i mean, why listen to the government?

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    In that case you're being extremely ignorant.

Who are you to say smoking is wrong?
    Your states health board and the voters who are in favour of complete ban of tabaco. Lack of education about the product and its effects on your health and others around you. If you do not like how things are, then moving to another country is your only option. Pick one without electrical grid...

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by Dilly View Post
    Murder should be legal.
    See, you've lost the argument and have resorted to ridiculous comments like that.

Pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    No. They're sensible because they believe in freedom of choice and don't think people need to be babysat by a namby-pamby nanny government.
    Murder should be legal.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNase View Post
    That's what I'm saying.
    In that case you're being extremely ignorant.

Who are you to say smoking is wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by Dilly View Post
    So they're only sensible when they agree with you? lol
    No. They're sensible because they believe in freedom of choice and don't think people need to be babysat by a namby-pamby nanny government.

Leave a comment:

• MrNase
    replied
    But smokers are doing something wrong? Is that what you're saying?
    That's what I'm saying.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Hooray, another sensible person!

Thank you, Techguy1!
    So they're only sensible when they agree with you? lol

Leave a comment:

• whitetigergrowl
    replied
    Originally posted by dodgeboard.com View Post
    Those people have chosen to go into those places right? Places that they know allow smoking.

If I walk out into the street and get hit by a car, it's my fault.
    This is a weird argument or debate. Arguing about having businesses be non-smoking, yet you are choosing to go into those same places that don't allow smoking. Be it by law or business preference. And arguing about that. Yet like the above comment stated, you made the decision to go into that place of business regardless.

I am a non-smoker, but grew up around them. Everyone in my family except me smokes.

However I agree businesses should not allow it. The argument I quoted is a double edged sword.

Think about it. Let's say you go into a business. While you are in there, the people behind you start to smell horrible because of body odor. Because of how busy it is, and lack of other tables to sit at, you leave.

So you go to the next establishment. You ask for a non-body odor section. Well lookee. They have a free spot. So you sit there. But the odor coming from the body odor section is still overpowering. It's maybe making you sick. Or is making your dinner rather unpleasant. Maybe you are alone. Maybe you are with friends or family. Either way, it just reeks. You start to ask yourself, how many establishments do I have to go into, that I have to keep hopping over to just to be able to have a normal dinner. Or to enjoy myself. Why should I put myself or family and friends at risk because a selfish few wish not to cleanse themselves because "it's their choice not too."?

I look at it this way. It's a personal choice to smoke. But when the cigarette becomes so powerful that you no longer care about other peoples health or well being and basically just tell them to go elsewhere or deal with it, the cigarette has entered a territory beyond personal choice. As it's something that IS affecting others. Smoking is a choice. It's not a necessity. Nor is it a requirement. Nor is it a right. It's a choice. And to some people its an outright addiction they would give their first born child for.

Some people are trying to make cigarette smoking out to be their god given right. When in reality its a privledge and choice you make every time you light up. Some of the people I see posting are trying to make it out to be more when its not. And the same rules they are trying to make for non-smokers, also actually apply to the smokers.

Such as those that say, "Well if you don't like the place that allows smokers, go elsewhere.". The same can be said for them. Go somewhere that still allows smoking. Oh, wait, its tough now and you want to complain? Well, it was no different for non-smokers and thats what you told them. Most bars allowed smoking. Making it extremely difficult for the non-smokers to go into them that may have had issues (health or otherwise) with the smoke. So what makes you more special?

So my verdict?

Smoking may be a personal choice. But if you go out into the public realm its a choice that can and usually does (at least indoors) affect others. Especially their health.

You may not care about your health, but many care about theirs. As they are entitled to. Non-smokers have just as much right as smokers to enjoy the same businesses. And many times, having smoking only areas weren't all that effective. Smokers may not realize it, but non-smokers can smell the smoke quite a distance away. It sticks on the walls and clothes and everything else. Its smells horrible. Again. It's a choice thats affecting others in a negative way.

Remember that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. It's not a one way street. But the next time you light up publically, stand next to someone with a bad case of body odor until your cigarette is done. Hopefully you like it as much as non-smokers like your cigarette smoke.

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    Meh... I may not stick around in this thread, as it's clear some people tend to take things a bit too personal or just start putting out stupid arguments that I just don't want to deal with; I've read the posts but I'm just going to respond without making it go at any on-party in particular.

I don't think it should be illegal; after all, look how much money the companies make! Why mess with those jobs? If they want to have a company that sells products that kill people (as that's pretty much what they do), and as the government permits it, why not? It's their own slow method suicide their undertaking.

What I do have a problem with, however, is when someone smokes with other people around, most often without asking if it's okay. If you're on a smoke break out in back of the office of your building, fine, puff away. But don't be in front puffing away while people are walking in and out, some who might have allergies, and let it get into the building, or get on people's clothes. Just no thanks, especially when second-hand smoke is pretty much as bad. I don't want to get cancer because you decided to smoke without asking, and with I didn't see where you were (for those who forget: The wind does spread that around you know) or just otherwise was in a position that I couldn't get out of right away. I don't want to have an asthma attack because you decided to smoke. Why should I share what you decide to do to yourself?

What you want to do in your own home is fine. Smoke pot, do drugs, whatever. It's your house, you get caught or not, you deal with the consequences. It's with other people that you have to be mindful; if you asked if it was okay to smoke while we were at a bus stop, for example, I would most likely be okay with it providing there's a good breeze and I can move downwind. I'm sure someone might say "I don't care, it's my cigarette/cigar and I'll do what I want," and if it didn't have any effect on other people, sure that would be alright. What it comes down to is because it affects other people that (as I see it) where problems arise.

I'm glad I'm healthy, I don't have anything wrong with me, and I want to keep it that way as much as possible without having to put myself through situations where that status is challenged.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Same here. Hell, I was having tiny sips of wine at Christmas courtesy of my parents when I was 3!!
    I don't like wine, never have done... but we've all had sips of beer and stuff when young, but not a whole 2 pints like I did at 10, And for some reason 2 pints got me drunk .

Leave a comment:

• Weapon-x
    replied
    Exactly right.

And I would also like to point out that bans usually do more harm than good for precisely this reason.
    In other country's they don't have laws on drinking and smoking and there are LESS accidents because people learn from there mistakes. And in the US there are a lot of teens who just keep drinking and drinking and think they can drive. Because it's against the law to drink and they want to be the big boy and break the laws to impress there friends. We were all at that age and did the same thing.

And they say in the US I heard on the news they are "THINKING" about raising the limit from 21 to 25. Still at 25 people are going to get hammered because they can legally drink and just want to get drunk for no point. Even when people turn 21 they get drunk and they drive.

There is no way to stop an accident and there are idiots out there who are going to drink and drive. It will never be stopped. They should just do away with laws like this and let people learn from there mistakes.

Other country's are doing wonderful less accidents and everything. But smoking in a NON smoking area should be enforced by the police and users.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by JakeS View Post
    I drank beer before teen 10 to be exact.
    Same here. Hell, I was having tiny sips of wine at Christmas courtesy of my parents when I was 3!!

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Weapon-x View Post
    Well they CAN ban smoking in public area's but they can't ban smoking for everyone.

Because of the fact that "It's peoples choice to smoke" and if they banned it people are going to DO it. Just like teens and alcohol. Everyone here has drank beer before the age of 21! Because its so exciting to do something "illegal"

I think people who are in a NO smoking area shouldn't be smoking and hurting other peoples health.
    I drank beer before teen 10 to be exact.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X