Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should smoking be banned altogether?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
    So, let me guess, you go to a bar to work out, eat vegetables and be healthy, do you? Thought not.

    It IS selfish for a non-smoker to tell smokers where they can or cannot smoke. Non-smokers can simply avoid smokers. They don't HAVE to mix with them. They can avoid them in the same way smokers avoid places with "No Smoking" signs, or areas with lots of young children -- it's very simple, see?

    Non-smokers need to get off their high horse.
    Nick, you seem very angry. I'm guessing that you're a smoker. When I used to go to bars and clubs before the ban came into place I used to suffer breathing difficulties as smoke triggers my asthma. You are saying that I shouldn't have a social life because of a choice that others have made? There's not one bar or club in my city that is non-smoking. Remember smokers are a minority, why should you have the say over the majority?

    And please don't reply with sarcastic, aggressive posts as you'll only turn what could be an interesting discussion into a heated arguement which will get closed.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
      So, let me guess, you go to a bar to work out, eat vegetables and be healthy, do you? Thought not.

      It IS selfish for a non-smoker to tell smokers where they can or cannot smoke. Non-smokers can simply avoid smokers. They don't HAVE to mix with them. They can avoid them in the same way smokers avoid places with "No Smoking" signs, or areas with lots of young children -- it's very simple, see?

      Non-smokers need to get off their high horse.
      Your first paragraph is incorrect. For one, I'm 14, so no I do not go to bars, and I don't plan to.

      Regardless, even at a resteraunt my brain cells aren't being destroyed by someone at my next table drinking, but if they were smoking then they would post a health hazard to everyone else in the resteraunt, which is simply unfair. It could also harm someone with immediate effects such as asthma.

      As the person above me stated, why should smokers gain a benefit over the majority. I, and I'm guessing many in this thread, agree that someone should have the right to personal pleasure if it's not harming anyone else.

      Comment


      • #18
        I can't always help but get angry when it comes to issues like this, if I feel strongly about them.

        It may come as a surprise, but I really wouldn't class myself as a smoker at all. I smoke VERY occasionally, in social situations only.

        The reason the whole anti-smoking 'ideal' gets my back up is because I don't agree with people telling others how they should live their own life.

        As I said earlier, (and I'm a strong believer in this), "live and let live" - I simply don't like it when people try to physically impose their ideas onto other people.

        It's like certain Christians who have a go at homosexuals, just as a random example. Live and let live.

        I just feel things are getting more ridiculous as time goes on -- we truly do live in a "nanny-state".

        If I am getting heated with anyone, I apologise, but I've always had strong views on certain subjects, and this is one of them.
        "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm not trying to be rude, but this is a debate, so I hope you don't mind if I give my opinion.

          I agree that others should not tell others how to live their lives in certain occasions, and I agree with your example about homosexuals.

          There's a difference though. Smokers pose a health risk to those who wish to preserve their health, and homosexuals don't impose health risk or any other risk for that matter to those who aren't interested in their ideals.

          If I choose not to smoke, it's no longer my free will if you're allowing someone else to pose the same health risk on me even though I've chosen not to; thus it is unfair.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by chaselafon View Post
            Your first paragraph is incorrect. For one, I'm 14, so no I do not go to bars, and I don't plan to.

            Regardless, even at a resteraunt my brain cells aren't being destroyed by someone at my next table drinking, but if they were smoking then they would post a health hazard to everyone else in the resteraunt, which is simply unfair. It could also harm someone with immediate effects such as asthma.

            As the person above me stated, why should smokers gain a benefit over the majority. I, and I'm guessing many in this thread, agree that someone should have the right to personal pleasure if it's not harming anyone else.
            Just because the "majority" of people seem to be opposed to smoking, doesn't mean that those who enjoy a cigarette should suffer.

            A smoker has just as much of a right to smoke as a non-smoker has to choose not to smoke.
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

            Comment


            • #21
              You're not even reading my post.

              So you're saying that smokers have the right to smoke and harm other individuals and even children's health just to smoke a cigarette?

              My argument is that they should not smoke in public, not that they can't do it in their own homes.

              I'm sorry, but you have a very selfish opinion.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by chaselafon View Post
                I'm not trying to be rude, but this is a debate, so I hope you don't mind if I give my opinion.

                I agree that others should not tell others how to live their lives in certain occasions, and I agree with your example about homosexuals.

                There's a difference though. Smokers pose a health risk to those who wish to preserve their health, and homosexuals don't impose health risk or any other risk for that matter to those who aren't interested in their ideals.

                If I choose not to smoke, it's no longer my free will if you're allowing someone else to pose the same health risk on me even though I've chosen not to; thus it is unfair.
                I see where you're coming from, but what stops you from just avoiding being around people who smoke?

                For example, if there were a bunch of drinkers at a bar, who were getting physically aggressive due to too much alcohol, I would choose to stay away from them in order to avoid a possible physical confrontation.

                Why can't a non-smoker just say "Oh, there's some smokers over there. Since I don't smoke, I'll simply stay away from them. That way I can avoid any potential illness."

                ?
                "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
                  Just because the "majority" of people seem to be opposed to smoking, doesn't mean that those who enjoy a cigarette should suffer.

                  A smoker has just as much of a right to smoke as a non-smoker has to choose not to smoke.
                  Your arguement is not against peoples right to smoke so far as far as I can tell, it's against peoples right to smoke where they want. Quite frankly I think the question of this thread is ridiculous too as if people want to put their health at risk that is their decision, but I have yet to see an arguement from anyone as to why the smoking ban in public places should be lifted. To those who say that passive smoking poses no health risk, that's fine. But it does pose a risk to those with respiratory problems such as myself. There are millions of asthma sufferers in the UK and that number is increasing every year by large amounts.
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
                    I see where you're coming from, but what stops you from just avoiding being around people who smoke?

                    For example, if there were a bunch of drinkers at a bar, who were getting physically aggressive due to too much alcohol, I would choose to stay away from them in order to avoid a possible physical confrontation.

                    Why can't a non-smoker just say "Oh, there's some smokers over there. Since I don't smoke, I'll simply stay away from them. That way I can avoid any potential illness."

                    ?
                    Smoke fills a large area. It only takes 3-4 people in a bar to fill up the place with smoke.
                    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by chaselafon View Post
                      You're not even reading my post.

                      So you're saying that smokers have the right to smoke and harm other individuals and even children's health just to smoke a cigarette?

                      My argument is that they should not smoke in public, not that they can't do it in their own homes.

                      I'm sorry, but you have a very selfish opinion.
                      You're obviously not reading my posts either, because I said earlier that smokers should do their best to avoid children and non smokers whereever possible.

                      How can my opinion possibly be selfish when my view is that everyone should choose to live their own life as they see fit?
                      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                        Smoke fills a large area. It only takes 3-4 people in a bar to fill up the place with smoke.
                        Open a window?

                        Seriously recently all laws are trying to stop one thing or the other if it ain't smoking its Christmas if it ain't Christmas its drinking if it ain't drinking its eating, if it ain't eating its your too fat loose weight now!

                        It's all stupid if you ask me, just let people get on with their life, let people have the freedom of choice. I don't smoke, but all of my friends do and yes because of the new law I now have to stand over in the smoking area with my friends and because smoking areas are mostly outside I have to freeze my arse off because of it, what more do you people want?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                          Seriously recently all laws are trying to stop one thing or the other if it ain't smoking its Christmas if it ain't Christmas its drinking if it ain't drinking its eating, if it ain't eating its your too fat loose weight now!

                          It's all stupid if you ask me, just let people get on with their life, let people have the freedom of choice.
                          100% agree.
                          "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                            Open a window?

                            Seriously recently all laws are trying to stop one thing or the other if it ain't smoking its Christmas if it ain't Christmas its drinking if it ain't drinking its eating, if it ain't eating its your too fat loose weight now!

                            It's all stupid if you ask me, just let people get on with their life, let people have the freedom of choice. I don't smoke, but all of my friends do and yes because of the new law I now have to stand over in the smoking area with my friends and because smoking areas are mostly outside I have to freeze my arse off because of it, what more do you people want?
                            There are no windows in the clubs I go to If people smoke in their own home it's fine by me. But I'm glad it's banned in public, and long may it continue (not to affect my breathing).
                            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Creeper, stop carrying on like an arrogant prat.

                              People are entitled to their opinions. My opinion is that it should be banned in public. I don't want to be breathing your second hand toxic smoke, and I shouldn't have to. I don't know about anywhere else, but in Australia, it is an offense to blow smoke in someone's face. There is a reason for that. Because it is harmful to your health.

                              If you want to do something that can harm people's health, do it in your own home, where people can choose not to breathe it.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Dilly View Post
                                Creeper, stop carrying on like an arrogant prat.

                                People are entitled to their opinions. My opinion is that it should be banned in public. I don't want to be breathing your second hand toxic smoke, and I shouldn't have to. I don't know about anywhere else, but in Australia, it is an offense to blow smoke in someone's face. There is a reason for that. Because it is harmful to your health.

                                If you want to do something that can harm people's health, do it in your own home, where people can choose not to breathe it.
                                Whoa whoa whoa, if you think smokers go around deliberately blowing smoke in people's faces to upset them, then you are an ignorant prat.
                                "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X