• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Chat Opera 9.50 BETA 9 Released

Opera 9.50 Beta 9 Build 9721 for Windows

Opera 9.50 Beta 9 Build 4594 for Mac

Opera 9.50 Beta 9 Build 1737 for Unix/Linux

Welcome to 2008! I hope you all had an excellent celebration, and that you're rested and ready for some more testing. Here's a new Kestrel build for you. Happy new year!

Also, check out this little gem: Ctrl(Cmd)+Alt+Click and drag a page. woot!

WARNING: These are development snapshots: they contain the latest changes, but they also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, they may not work at all.

Known issues
    • [Bug 304257] Sorting mail by date is still broken on Windows.
    • opera:historysearch is currently disabled - work in progress
    • Sparc Solaris builds still crash when you try to use mail
    • Sometimes, the address bar dropdown stays open after submitting

Bugs fixed
    • Fixed getClientRects and getBoundingClientRect
    • [Bug 299224] Fixed broken account settings when adding a new IRC/Chat account
    • [Bug 303604] Fixed Link icon in the toolbar not showing
    • [Bug 304214] Fixed crasher on emptying trash
    • [Bug 303586] Fixed spatial navigation
    • Sync'ing new bookmarks in folders works again.
    • Importing *.mbs files now works again. Recursively importing is still work in progress.

Mac-specific
    • Help window no longer opens behind Preferences dialog

UNIX-specific
    • We now search also for Acrobat Reader 8.
    • 32-bit plugins (like Flash) and 64-bit plugins now work out-of-the-box in 64-bit Linux builds.

Download: Opera 9.50 Beta 9 Build 9721 for Windows
    Download: Opera 9.50 Beta 9 Build 4594 for Mac
    Download: Opera 9.50 Beta 9 Build 1737 for Unix
    Source: Opera Desktop Team
    Will
    Bulletin Board Resources © 2007
    Chairman & Chief Software Architect

Opera is kind of meh. Yes, it's a lot nicer than IE, but I think Firefox is so much better. It has all of the modifications you need, and my biggest pet peeve about Opera is that the find feature is a pop-up, which is so more annoying than the display on the bottom toolbar on Firefox.

Comment

Oh cool. I use Opera on my laptop since Firefox can sometimes be a resource hog. I have some troubles with it since my laptop is running Fedora and I can't type without switching windows then coming back to Opera.

There are still certain plugins I can't be without, so Firefox will always be installed on any computer I own.

Comment

Opera is quite fast, granted, but it has display isses as compared to IE and FF. I use Opera, but only to test my forums templates along side IE and FF.

Comment

I have never had any display issues specific to Opera. The only time I have is when I've been using a beta version of it and the bug has always been fixed in the stable release.
          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Ah, thanks for that... I've been looking for an excuse to switch back to Opera, I had it for a while and it suddenly started crashing. Hopefully when 9.5 gets out of beta it will work correctly for me again.

Comment

Opera is the BEST browser out there!

What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

That's cos it is

Mouse jestures, wand, tabs, proper full screen, folders in a bar, quick start page, best looking skins (see pic above).. there's just too much to mention. Only gripe is it's not as standards compliant as FF.

Nice to see you back btw, if you behave I might add you to my friends list
                What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                  That's cos it is

Mouse jestures, wand, tabs, proper full screen, folders in a bar, quick start page, best looking skins (see pic above).. there's just too much to mention. Only gripe is it's not as standards compliant as FF.

Nice to see you back btw, if you behave I might add you to my friends list
                  That's not true. It passed the ACID2 test long before FF did.

Comment

been using Opera since version 3. it's always been superior to IE and has been getting better and better with every release. you'll never catch me using trash like Firefox instead of Opera. sure, Firefox fanboys may argue that it has tons of plugins and other bling, but thats the beauty of Opera - you don't need any third-party addons for it to actually do what you need. it's blazing fast, too, and unlike Firefox, doesn't eat up half a gigabyte of ram (or more) with only a handful of open tabs.

Comment

Sounds interesting though we only use Opera on our cellphones, Nintendo DS units and the Nintendo Wii... All are specialized. I have a version installed on my PC but never really use it.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

You're one of a lucky few then JakeS. I regularly consume at least 200mb of RAM in FF on a regular basis. I hear FF3 is vastly improved in regards to memory usage though

Comment

My RAM usage on FF2/FF3 is low, with addons, tabs, etc. no prolem here either.

Comment

I'm currently running Firefox (2.0.0.11) with 13 tabs.
                            I have 20 extensions and 1 additional theme.

Mem Usage: 181, 604K

I think the memory goes up as you open your download viewer. I've noticed it sometimes jumps up a bit. Although I don't feel any lag as I have 2 gigs of RAM. I'm awaiting Fx3 and hope they trim this down.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                              My RAM usage on FF2/FF3 is low, with addons, tabs, etc. no prolem here either.
                              There is an acknowledged bug on Firefox and Windows where it starts gobbling ram for no reason. You actually have to close the browser every few hours to work around this. The browser will be working fine then all of a sudden is starts each memory in 3.68K chunks until all physical RAM is exhausted and you have to shut down the browser. It doesn't matter how many tabs you have open. I have had Firefox using 0.987 Gigabytes of RAM with 1 tab, no extensions and no themes. The tab was www.google.com. Thought I think the actual problem is how it interacts with Adobe products. I have had this issue happen once in a beta of Internet Explorer 7 as well. It started suddenly grabbing chunks of 3.68K of memory. Shortly thereafter there was a release of Acrobat Reader and Internet Explorer in quick succession. After that there was a Flash upgrade as well that cited issues with Internet Explorer 7.

In Windows 98, this can require a manual restart of the system. XP recovers a little better once you take the few minutes to get Task Manager open. I only open Firefox for a few minutes at a time in Vista so don't know if it has the same problem. In the notes for early Firefox 3, it says that they think they have fixed the issue once and for all.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X