Another iMac Convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sensimilla View Post
    Im a mac G4 and macbook user and also IBM PC and laptop user.
    You cant avoid Winblows in my opinion, Mac is good and well designed but some things just run better on Winblows.
    I have a company that uses about 100 macs. We've been on MAC since the beginning about 30 years ago. About ten to fifteen years ago, during the Mac slump. you're right, Windows was inevitable if you ran a business. Many business apps were Windows only; Mac was poor then. This is no longer the case. The platform is robust, scalable and offers anything a business needs.

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    So VMWare allows you to switch from OS X to Windows without rebooting?
    We use Parallels to open Windows only client files and it works great. No reboot.

Originally posted by Radon3k View Post
    I don't have any issues with mine at all. The colors are very vibrant and sharp. I have no glare on my screen though it's also not in direct sunlight and the room lighting doesn't affect the screen.
    The HD screen is to die for. Bright, sharp and the glare is really a non issue. As you'll discover, your eyes end up focussing on the screen, not any minor reflections that are, de facto, far away; just like in real life. You focus on one thing and disregard the other.

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    What do people use for email on ther iMac? The built-in mail program has trouble remembering the password even though I keep checking the appropriate box.
    Tried several options but ulitmately went back to Mac's mail programme. I think you have maybe not yet figured out how to use the Keychain properly. That should cure all your password issues.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the family.
    Cause change

Comment

Originally posted by pank View Post
      Personally I love Entourage. When I came from windows I was really used to using Outlook and this is the next best thing (actually better in my opinion).

You may want to hold off until Office '08 comes out though.
      Thanks for the info on Entourage. I may give that a try since I have Office for Mac 2004.

And thanks for the other info. I'll take a look at that too.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, please consider weaning yourself off Word/Excel/Entourage & co. The openoffice combo with the standard Apple mail/addressbook/etc. apps works fine. And ideally, you get iWork for 90% of your needs and openoffice for the rest (when you absolutely have to open a Word doc and keep all the formatting). I finally took the plunge about two months ago when I installed Leopard. I did not reinstall MS Office onto the new portable and I'm really not suffering
        Cause change

Comment

I'm a novice Mac user, myself, and I'd like to know what y'all use for word processing? I was considering Office 2004, but iWork looks very impressive.

I have a friend who uses iWork, and it looks very efficient and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by chaselafon View Post
            I'm a novice Mac user, myself, and I'd like to know what y'all use for word processing? I was considering Office 2004, but iWork looks very impressive.

I have a friend who uses iWork, and it looks very efficient and clean.
            Office is still more powerful BUT 90% of Word users use less than 10% of its functions. If you need an app to produce your own documents, whether they be reports, studies, letters, etc. you'll love Pages. If you work with lots of people who use Word docs that have to go back and forth, you'll either need MS Office or look into OpenOffice which is what we use to complement Pages.
            Cause change

Comment

Congratulations Steve!
              That's the end of that!

Comment

OpenOffice is too old now, it looks like blah on the mac, I'd pick office 2008 over OOo for the osx any day.

That said, I don't use either really, though they're installed.

I use the iWorks programs such as Pages, etc.

Comment

Why is it you simply can't highlight a set of pdfs on a mac in the file explorer and print them all in one go, instead of it trying to open each individual one
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                    Why is it you simply can't highlight a set of pdfs on a mac in the file explorer and print them all in one go, instead of it trying to open each individual one
                    I'm not 100% sure what you mean. The quickest way I can think of to print multiple .pdf's without truly opening them is to highlight them all, click the space bar to launch quick view (you must have leopard for this), then you should be able to print all the files from there??
                    Bob- (pank)
                    pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

We're running OSX at work I'm afraid Bob.

Comment

You've been spending too much time with Floris, Steve
                        Totally agree haha.

I think you should have waited until Vista SP1 was released before making that move.

Comment

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                          Totally agree haha.

I think you should have waited until Vista SP1 was released before making that move.
                          With all due resspect I have been waiting almost 20 years for Microsoft to produce a solid OS. Vista SP1 may or may not provide some slight improvemtnts but it will not be the major transformation - particularly in memory usage - that is needed.

Apple made a smart move several years ago when they made the hard decision to abandon their original OS and go with a Unix style OS based on Job's Next operating system.

The problem for MS is that they have such a large installed base that they cannot make such a dramatic move without causing compatibility issues with legacy applications. They are between a rock and hard place.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

We're running OSX at work I'm afraid Bob.
                            Leopard is still os x. It's just the latest version/release.

You would have to see if you are running the latest. Leopard would show up as os x 10.5.x and panther would be something like 10.4.x
                            Bob- (pank)
                            pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

I am certain we're not using Leopard. I think it's either tiger or panther

Comment

Question, how much space should I have Boot Camp set up for Vista?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X