Another iMac Convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pank View Post
    On a side note: Do you have any issues with the Glossy screen on the new iMac either color value wise or glare wise?
    I don't have any issues with mine at all. The colors are very vibrant and sharp. I have no glare on my screen though it's also not in direct sunlight and the room lighting doesn't affect the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Radon3k View Post
      I don't have any issues with mine at all. The colors are very vibrant and sharp. I have no glare on my screen though it's also not in direct sunlight and the room lighting doesn't affect the screen.
      Thanks. The ones I've seen all looked really good to me as well. I had just read that for graphic design it made quite a difference after people had calibrated the monitors. This was early on so they may have updated the color profile used??
      Bob- (pank)
      pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

Thanks. The ones I've seen all looked really good to me as well. I had just read that for graphic design it made quite a difference after people had calibrated the monitors. This was early on so they may have updated the color profile used??
        I'm not much into graphical design so I couldn't tell you about that. For what I do everything looks simply amazing.

Comment

Welcome to the club
          I'm really debating the iMac. I have a PPC dual 2 ghz now and this is my year to upgrade. I've been waiting for the new Mac Pro's to come out but the iMacs look real yummy.

For FTP I prefer transmit and really good free text editor is textwrangler
          http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

It's the free (somewhat stripped down) version of BBedit. BBedit is really good but I'd say give textwrangler a good run through to see if is has all you need. The great thing I love is the file compare utility. Copy and old template and a new template into separate windows, click one button and it finds every change between the files Great for digging up changes between files!

Also a great little utility is Quicksilver
          http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22549

Spotlight is really nice but for quick launching app's not much is faster.

If you have done done so yet I'd also suggest getting an external HD for backups. I've found the best way for backing up is to make a daily bootable clone using software like carbon copy cloner or (my favorite although not fully leopard ready) super duper. That way if by chance your iMac's HD does ever go down you have a full cloned backup. From then it's just a matter of getting your new HD up and running then using your clone to migrate back all your software and user settings.

On a side note: Do you have any issues with the Glossy screen on the new iMac either color value wise or glare wise?
          I had a license to BBedit, and used textwrangler too, I moved over to TextMate and never looked back. It's way more professional, awesome team of support people, and the things you can do with it is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
            I had a license to BBedit, and used textwrangler too, I moved over to TextMate and never looked back. It's way more professional, awesome team of support people, and the things you can do with it is amazing.
            Looks like I'll have to download the trial and check it out
            Bob- (pank)

Comment

Hardware differs from software and vice versa. If running a Mac why not run Parallels?

Comment

Originally posted by Freesteyelz View Post
                Hardware differs from software and vice versa. If running a Mac why not run Parallels?
                See the above video, it's Parallels

Comment

Ahh. I should have read past the first page.

Comment

What do people use for email on ther iMac? The built-in mail program has trouble remembering the password even though I keep checking the appropriate box.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                      ...Since getting it home I have been trying to make it crash by doing many of the things that cause problems in Windows, such as opening and editing graphics files. Whereas Winddows XP and Vista almost always requires a reboot after several hours of that kind of activty, I can't make the iMac crash or even slow down. After about a week it's as fast as the day I set it up, wwhereas Windows gets slower and slower each day until I am forced to reboot (which is about every 3 days on average.) I won't be going back to a Windows PC any time soon...
                      Glad to see you are enjoying your new Mac. I use a Macbook Pro at work, and I do like it, and may consider getting one for personal use.

I'm certainly not going to turn this into yet another Mac vs. PC thread, but I do need to point out that the above is most definitely not true for me.
                      I am one of those people that keeps my PC on 24/7, and often I have kept some systems going without a single restart for 12+ months. (XP SP2) Whether it's using something like Photoshop, playing games, audio/video editing, etc I have not been forced to restart every few days like you mentioned above, and the system certainly does not get slower and slow. Obviously if updates are installed, the system will need a restart, but not due to 'slowness' as mentioned above.
                      The majority of times, the only reasons the systems get slower and slower is because people keep installing software, and don't remove it from the startup entry, so they bog up the memory & startup, and thus, goes back to user error.

Anyway, just throwing in my two cents.

Good luck & have fun with the eye candy
                      Webmaster / Administrator
                      www.MegaGames.com
                      www.MGForums.com

Comment

My computer usage is probably far from typical since in the course of this job and managing my own sites I am actively working and online 8-10 hours a day seven days a week. And with this job I have to visit all sorts of sites, including many that cause problems with my browsers.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I would only buy Mac Pro if I have been turned off like Steve M. has been with trying to get older peripherals to work on the newer OS.

I do know that Hewlett-Packard, Compaq(same Comp.) Dell and some other systems are configuring their systems unable to upgrade to next version OS. It would mean that you can not upgrade from a computer that can run Vista to a newer one 5years later and they do not want to added updates to make older peripherals work on newer operating systems. I do not know why Microsoft even lets this happens, as getting customers angry cause of these companies rather you pay though the nose to buy newer systems then letting be able to update certain areas of your computer to be able to run new OS from Microsoft.

I do not like any other Mac systems except the Pro, as that is the only one I think you can update the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                            What do people use for email on ther iMac? The built-in mail program has trouble remembering the password even though I keep checking the appropriate box.
                            Personally I love Entourage. When I came from windows I was really used to using Outlook and this is the next best thing (actually better in my opinion).

You may want to hold off until Office '08 comes out though.

Entourage has a ton of features and is set up nicely with rules and categories. I use a lot of color coding for categories to make certain types of emails jump right out so I can file them.

Apple mail is a really nice program but in my opinion you cannot even compare it with the power of Entourage.

Regarding your password issue. It sounds simple but have you run all of the software updates? If you are all up to date you may want to try manually deleting the entry in your keychain (found in applications/utilities/Keychain Access.app). There are also some repair/rebuild types of utilities you can run from your keychain app as well.

If you are ever looking for some good Mac/Apple sites to frequent here are a few...

http://forums.macrumors.com/ (the main site is a great visit and the forum is extremely busy and is a great source if you ever have a question or need help).

http://www.tuaw.com/ (One of the best apple Blogs around)

http://www.macworld.com/ (Nice site but I get the magazine and it's always a good read).

http://www.maclife.com/ (Same as above. Great site and I get the magazine as well)
                            Last edited by pank; Fri 4 Jan '08, 7:44pm.
                            Bob- (pank)

Comment

Steve,

Congratulation man for this good move, I hope you enjoying with Mac family

Actually one of the big challenges I have experienced is the web compatibility issues with Mac machines

Good luck.

Comment

I can't sugest any sw because I am using jst about everything common listed here. I can 2nd Parallels though I have not used it much because I have just about completely got rid of all of my Windows SW. I bought the iMac 24" as well and love it too, I did upgrade my ram to 4gb when I got it home, cost less that $100.00

If you like running multiple applications at one time like I do, I use spaces right often. I will have Photoshop in one Dreamweaver in another, I just simply love it.

I did find one program that helps me manage my passwords better than the Keychain it's called Dataguardian

I have been a hole week now and not a PC even turned on. I do recommend macrumors they were very helpful in trying to learn some of the MAC vs Windows transitions.

I thought what you said about Windows crashing all the time and you trying to make the MAc do it was funny, the manual that comes with the Mac even tells you to not shut it down.

I hope you enjoy your new iMac as much as I have so far, cheers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X