Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when another site is stealing your content.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vbresults
    replied
    If they know what they are doing, you can do nothing to stop them from copying your content. Something they cannot copy is your context, and you may want to try improving that.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by DrewryMedia View Post
    How does one check to see if any sites out there are stealing thier content?
    Make some tipyng errors in one of your publykli visible replys.
    In a few days time search the Net for tipyng/publykli .
    Where did you find them?

Edit: No one is stealing the contents of this thread.
    Last edited by beishe8; Sun 26 Jun '11, 11:07am.

Leave a comment:

• DrewryMedia
    replied
    How does one check to see if any sites out there are stealing thier content?

Leave a comment:

• Sir Nick
    replied
    Contact the owner and tell them to stop stealing

Leave a comment:

• Budget101
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    If they are using your rss feed, then limit the feed entries to just 100 characters, or just a short intro text .. so those users are forced to come to your site for the full data. vB supports these settings.
    Um Really?? Where?? if you're talking about an external_query as noted here that doesn't work on Blog Posts at all. It only works on forum feeds.

I do believe that the issue is that Entire Blog posts are being stolen and vb is not offering any solution to this grievous error.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    DMCA action is the ticket, but must be done properly and in carefully staged sequences to maximize effect. PM me for details on how to do this right.

Another option is to just let them do whatever, and at least embed backlinks in your material.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    Yeah, and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it either in that country

Leave a comment:

• Kaith Rustaz
    replied
    I found a copy of one of my forums running off a server in China. Content was only a few months old, text only. I don't think they care about the copyright.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Paul's code works great. Many thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    Well to try and limit this, every image I upload for each web page I create contains my "site signature" in the image. Yes, they can grab the content from every page. But they also need the images as well to make any real proper use of it. So as a deterrent, I add a site URL signature to images so there useless to them for using. And I make sure the signature can not be removed and they can still be left with the image itself without it (ie, placing the signature outside the image on the borders).

Not a perfect solution I know, but a good one for my type of fish profile site. As they really need the images and text.

As a side note, I've already seen "grabbers" on my site in cPanel stats, one being named as an "adobe" product. But I think that being used by: http://whois.domaintools.com/
    Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 26 Aug '08, 10:16am.

Leave a comment:

• NeutralizeR
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    I found this link. I haven't tried it though - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...91&postcount=8
    Yes, i've been using it for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkoP View Post
    I haven't found these settings either. Can someone please explain how to limit the RSS from giving the entire content of posts to other web sites?

This is a serious flaw with VB it seems...there should be a way to limit how much from a post is taken.
    I found this link. I haven't tried it though - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...91&postcount=8

Leave a comment:

• MarkoP
    replied
    Originally posted by NeutralizeR View Post
    I can't see these settings in the admin CP?

I haven't found these settings either. Can someone please explain how to limit the RSS from giving the entire content of posts to other web sites?

This is a serious flaw with VB it seems...there should be a way to limit how much from a post is taken.

Leave a comment:

• NeutralizeR
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    If they are using your rss feed, then limit the feed entries to just 100 characters, or just a short intro text .. so those users are forced to come to your site for the full data. vB supports these settings. If you offer full content rss feed encoded, and others use rss-feed import -post-as-new-thread- which vB also supports, then it will just show up as that full rss feed. I do this myself with some sites to help syndicate data they create. But I think it is at least require to make sure you post the author name, the post date and the source (which is also a link back to the source site).
    I can't see these settings in the admin CP?

Leave a comment:

• DoE
    replied
    Not all sites that copy content is "bad". Some are done for archiving purposes; when a site closes then the content is not lost for those who have a need for the info. Site archiving (read as automatic Internet Content Archiving) has been around for nearly a decade now.

Leave a comment: