Forum Thieves - and Google profiteering from them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Thieves - and Google profiteering from them

Anyone else found their forum content has been stolen and put on other sites? What's worse is google is serving ads on them despite being told the sites have absolutely zero original content! (So they are making money of stolen goods so to speak )

Here's a few that have been brought to our attention:

----care--little---dot---com

---thank--health---dot---com

It's obvious the sites are only about stealing content - so why doesn't google ban the owners from their network?
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Because it is your job to protect your copyright. DMCA was created just for this purpose.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Help a noob out....what is DMCA?

Comment

Yeah, gotta love the proxie sites, eh?

We installed GEO IP and locked out many Countries that these type sites originate from. It stops a lot of spam too.

We also block many data centers too. Yeah, some folks that may want to get our RSS get locked out, but it's not like that is a huge loss compared to a completely duplicated site.

It affected us in the serps quite severely. Once we put the blocks in, it turned around very quickly.

Don't waste your time appealing to affiliates. They double talk in favor of their own revenue steam.

Good Luck.
        Computer Help Forum
        An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Google stipulates that no content - on sites displaying their ads - should infringe copyright... yet once they are told they just don't act :-/

Noob: Via google > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA

Noppid - perhaps you could write a little guide... it would come in real handy for the rest of us!

Comment

Do you make your forum content available to others via the external feed?

Comment

I have posted a new thread on the matter: What to do when another site is stealing your content.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                Noppid - perhaps you could write a little guide... it would come in real handy for the rest of us!
                I did. Help Stopping Content Harvesting and Spam

Good luck.
                Computer Help Forum
                An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Thanks both - will have a read when I get 5 mins

Birdie - I did for a short while then I stopped... but how do they get whole threads? I thought the rss feeds only sent out the first post in a thread? :-/

Comment

That link is inaccessible.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                      Anyone else found their forum content has been stolen and put on other sites? What's worse is google is serving ads on them despite being told the sites have absolutely zero original content! (So they are making money of stolen goods so to speak )

Here's a few that have been brought to our attention:

----care--little---dot---com

---thank--health---dot---com

It's obvious the sites are only about stealing content - so why doesn't google ban the owners from their network?
                      I'll not beat about the bush, your having a moan about this. But ask yourself this question. Why should "I" for example spend an hour writing one good original article (that will finish up getting copied sooner or later by many other sites, giving me duplicate content then). When I could copy and paste 20 articles from another Free Article site like Enzine for example in the same time scale to boost my adsense earnings much faster.

Comment

Er.. because the difference is you have rights to use those articles, but not ones that are copyrighted on other forums!!

Comment

Er, why - no offense but "who do you think is going to stop people from copying articles" from other sites?

Morally, yes! You could say a person is ripping off another persons work to quickly try and boost there site (unless of course they go to FREE Article sites like Enzine, iSnare or ArticleCity) as examples. Were you can freely use them as long as you include the Authors TAG intact out of courtesy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue that your wrong. I'm just seeing it from the point of view of a person who sets-up a new forum and needs some content. It's all well and fine adding original articles, but it takes forever to write long original articles and more often than not. After you've done a few. You either run out of ideas to write about - or simply realize it will take you like a year to write about 500 articles that you could copy in a week from other sites if you put your mind to it.

From that point of view, I know which option I would start off with first to get that quick site boost (and just throw a couple of extra words into them, or alter them a little so there not a direct duplicate). then start to add the odd original article in-between later on.

I do this with my site, I get Adsense articles from Enzine, and then just scan through the article making changes to it were I feel they are needed to make it sound better, and make a little more sense as well (as some articles are very badly written if truth be said). As well as spell checking them for errors. So it finish up being slightly different than the original article I copied. But I still include the authors TAG at the bottom.
                          Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 21 Dec '07, 7:24am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X