Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strengthening your community

Hey,

I run a gaming website that runs entirely off of a vbulletin platform. The entire CMS is based off of vbulletin and it really makes managing and updating the website very easy. I've been in the process of continuously updating and improving my website since I opened it earlier this year. I've added lots of open source scripts, and commercial scripts like vBSEO etc. to the backend, and I'm finally looking at a vBulletin community that seems near complete to me. The website is just a hobby to me, I approach it at a professional level but really it's just a hobby I make no money off of it and I just do it because I enjoy it.

I'm a bit dissapointed though, as my website has been open for some time now and I have yet to be able to attract any attention to it. My forums are completely dead, and I am the only one really putting content up for the website. I look around the net at other vBulletins and I get jealous seeing the member count and all the discussions going on. I've tried a couple of things here and there to improve the overall registration rate and activeness of my forums but I can't seem to get a hold on what I can do to really boost numbers and bring in new active members.

Are there any tricks that other vBulletin owners use to bring new members to their community, or to keep members active and forming new discussions? I could use some tips from veteran vBulletin community managers who have worked with large vBulletin communities and databases. I hate seeing my forums completely dead and I want to break that 1,000 member mark and really start getting some sort of activity at my website. I don't have money for advertising, and I don't have much help in terms of staff to spread the word and bring in visitors. Anyone have any good tips?

Here's my shameless plug:
    http://www.ready-up.com
    Visit my vBulletin - http://www.rdyup.com - Online Gamer Community

Hold a referal contest... Winner gets some elite title on your site such as "King of the Ogres" or something. Heck, even a 10 dollar gift certificate to Amazon.com would get them motivated.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Hold a referal contest... Winner gets some elite title on your site such as "King of the Ogres" or something. Heck, even a 10 dollar gift certificate to Amazon.com would get them motivated.
      Great idea! But how do you manage this Wayne from with vBulletin? See here.
      How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

Has nothing to do with promotions. To run a referral contest you run a query to get a snapshot of everyone's referals before the contest. Then you run the same query after the contest. The person with the largest increase wins the prize.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Has nothing to do with promotions. To run a referral contest you run a query to get a snapshot of everyone's referals before the contest. Then you run the same query after the contest. The person with the largest increase wins the prize.
          Ah, yes ofcourse a query. I think that will do untill the time comes that vBulletin is capable of handling group-promotions based on the referrals, including searching so we do not need any query anymore.

Comment

I don't see how a promotion will help run a contest where the winner is declared by having the most referrals over a time period. They are completely separate issues from what I can see.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I don't see how a promotion will help run a contest where the winner is declared by having the most referrals over a time period. They are completely separate issues from what I can see.
              Uhh... well yes those are separate issues indeed. I was just wondering how you've managed such a contest without vB offering any referral-functionality inside the software (apart from searching on it in a timeframe). Having said that, promotions could be used in a contest however if they would support referrals. Only not the way you are conducting it, because promotions don't use timeframes. I was just thinking about the way promotions based on referrals could help my site in the future.
              Last edited by Grover; Sat 15th Dec '07, 8:52am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X