phpBB3 Gold - 13th December 2007 - 17:00 GMT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hossie View Post
    Look at Gaia. vBulletin also can't offer what they are doing there. That is all custom stuff.
    This just proves my point!

I don't think phpBB itself is written as bad as you might think.
    You don't seem to read what you're quoting:
    Originally posted by simsim View Post
    No matter how do we think about phpBB, it's still one of the most popular software over the Internet, powering more than 42 million boards worldwide. Although many people think of it as a bad coded software, it's not at all. It does have a bad history of security vulnerabilities, but that IMO is only because there's not a fully dedicated team working on the project, which is one of the most devastating characteristics of open source software.
    Last edited by simsim; Mon 17 Dec '07, 3:51am.
    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Hossie's avatar has got to be a troll avatar

sorry not saying you are... if you were talking about unicorns I would have the same impression
      Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

its the largest site on the net, or so they say. But don't get confused into thinking they use phpBB. I once read an interview with the owners. And they have totally replaced the database system and just about everything else really that was phpBB. The have like multiple servers to run it on a huge scale.
        I forget now, but they posted stats of how many posts they get a day. It was an ridiculous amount, something like a couple of hundred thousand posts per day. And they are trimmed on a regular bases.

It was unreal reading about it, nothing out thee compares to it

Comment

And still, I wouldn't register there even if I could chat with the pope.

ok the pope maybe, but you get my point
          Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

I once joined for a laugh to see what all the fuss was about, but it soon became obvious it's a place where kids hang out who are into cartoons. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
              I once joined for a laugh to see what all the fuss was about, but it soon became obvious it's a place where kids hang out who are into cartoons. LOL

Agreed i was there just a week ago. I think alot are kids who just make a forum for the hell of it. Since of course its FREE. I got sick of adding mods. And i kept having problems with phpbb. Becuase phpbb staff told me there was something with my hosting provider, so i yelled at my hosting provider. And then i got mad cuz i wasnt sure what was going on so i tired vbulletin and i havnt had any "internal erros" like phpbb.

Gaia = kIds kids kids , useless posts

I shoulda've joined earlier!

phpbb is for poor people and kids.... and 5% other

Comment

Originally posted by wasku View Post
                Agreed i was there just a week ago. I think alot are kids who just make a forum for the hell of it. Since of course its FREE. I got sick of adding mods. And i kept having problems with phpbb. Becuase phpbb staff told me there was something with my hosting provider, so i yelled at my hosting provider. And then i got mad cuz i wasnt sure what was going on so i tired vbulletin and i havnt had any "internal erros" like phpbb.

Gaia = kIds kids kids , useless posts

I shoulda've joined earlier!

phpbb is for poor people and kids.... and 5% other
                I disagree that it is for poor people. A free open source solution is good enough for a lot of enterprise and corporate sites too.

I know a lot of people who run a network of phpbb sites. I've even helped set up quite a few. The sites that run the best usually get upgraded to vB though.

With 3.7 from vB out now, it's clear phpBB has to step it up again a notch to stay interesting. With their new features and new style, they've made good progress. I still wouldn't run it on a big web site.

Comment

You have to stop discrediting OSS. As from my experience, big companies always refuse to put even one windows server into the DMZ. So there you have your super company (one of ther largest IT companies in the world!) - and what about their reputation? Why is a linux powered system running in the DMZ? It's just "stupid", "unprofessional" OSS, isn't it?

5 month ago I decided to stop using windows at all. That so called operating-system is just a pain-in-the-ass. I have no windows at work, nor at home. And I'm super happy.

Even vbulletin.com is powered by "Unix" (whatever system that really is), but not your super cool "windows".

Code:
                  Server: Apache/2.2.4 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP/5.2.4-dev mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.5
                  So please, stop the attitude that OSS can't be good.

Btw, even PHP is OSS, and you all use it.

Btw @devs: You should really upgrade your servers, though, that OpenSSL is really old, and afaik there's a regexp-exploit in that Perl version.

Comment

Id like to point gaia online has probally rewritten at least 50% of the phpbb code to do what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by SSSlippy View Post
                      Id like to point gaia online has probally rewritten at least 50% of the phpbb code to do what they do.
                      I heard more than that. I recall reading somewhere they only keep the copyright for phpBB on there since it was derived from phpBB but in essence the system is totally unique and proprietary.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                        I heard more than that. I recall reading somewhere they only keep the copyright for phpBB on there since it was derived from phpBB but in essence the system is totally unique and proprietary.
                        I've read the same.

Comment

I have been with phpbb five years 2000-2005. Three times I have been hacked due to exploits ! Even though I find the admin area of vbulletin fairly complicated and also don't need 50% of its features I would never switch back to phpBB. Version phpbb3 looks great but the tremendouseness I experianced will never let me move out of vbulletin.

Comment

You have to stop discrediting OSS.
                            If you're going to be an OSS enthusiast, why not go all the way and show love for FOSS?

My opinion on phpbb: I had used it for a little while and found that it couldn't do what I wanted. At the time I wasn't nearly as close to the same programming level. As well, VBulletin has had a steady track record when it comes to stability and security. My friends have had their phpbb/ipb boards compromised a few times, and I did not want that happening to me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X