X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Sergio68 View Post
    Actually this can't be done, am I wrong ?
    Don't give them that access .. a moderator doesn't have to have access to the modcp/ or ftp or admincp, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Sergio68
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    For security reasons I strongly recommend to limit access to unknown people, so they can't walk away with your files and database.
    Actually this can't be done, am I wrong ?

Leave a comment:

• DoE
    replied
    Thanks for your concerns Floris and Ozscot, but (lol, there is always a but)...

I'm not concerned. I never said what rights I would give, nor when (and this isn't a paid service, just someone volunteering to be a part of something, so it shouldn't have crossed vB's line). I am also in charge of information security, network security, networking, software management, and numerous wide area networks for a very large government agency, so I think my site will be ok,

Edit: oops should have addressed this part:

So why give someone I do not know the chance to become a mod for my site? Well, he seems enthusiastic, and besides one of three things will happen:

- he will spam and try to hurt the forum at some point. I'll deal with that if the time comes;

- he will get bored as this is a new site and not support it, in which case I'll convert his account into a character from my books I am writing and add in some simple AI (I am also very good at writing php), and integrate his account into my site, for atmosphere; or

- he will develop into a very good writer, role player, and Mod.

I'm hoping for the latter, and so willing to chance it,
    Last edited by DoE; Thu 6 Dec '07, 4:05pm.

Leave a comment:

• Ozscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Doug View Post
    I'm a good mod, you can trust me, I sware.
    I don't think anyone is implying otherwise Doug. I know that I personally would never make someone a Mod whom I didn't trust implicitly and that trust can take years to build up on the internet. Given the responsibilities of Mods there's no way I would let anyone near the functions they can perform unless I was 110% in their abilities, more so as they can make or break a site. And I don't even mean in their 'trustworthiness' - I also mean in their ability to make good judgement calls and respond to people in a manner which minimises their impact. Like I say, that can take years to evaluate before I would confidently say to someone 'You're a Mod'.

Ozscot

Leave a comment:

• Doug
    replied
    I'm a good mod, you can trust me, I sware.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    For security reasons I strongly recommend to limit access to unknown people, so they can't walk away with your files and database. I am not saying Doug has bad intentions, but just want to give a general warning.

Also, our web site is not a marketplace, or a job board. This thread doesn't fit this web site. I also recommend to Doug to become a member on a community and if you like it and post well and can help others that their staff will notice you and consider you for staff. Personally I never take someone on the team who has never posted.

Leave a comment:

• Doug
    replied
    Ok I'll join.

Leave a comment:

• DoE
    replied
    My site is brand new and not even advertised yet. If you are in to writing/role playing (fantasy setting), I may have a job for you. It'll be boring until I get the site going though,

Leave a comment:

• Doug
    started a topic Anyone got a forum open for moderators?

Anyone got a forum open for moderators?

I've been a moderator at about every other type of forum but not a VBulletin. Anyone know of any VBulletins with mod jobs open?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X