Why I hate 3d Studio Max R4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I hate 3d Studio Max R4

Damn, I honestly cant remember the last time I had to work with a program so buggy and unstable. I installed it yesterday on my W2K box at work, a box that can MORE than handle Max (R3.1 runs like a charm).

I immediatly downloaded the 4.2 update from Discreet's site, installed it. I got a bunch of authorization errors thanks to the ever crappy Cdilla software. After resolving that, the program crashed constantly. It totally messed up my Pixar RenderMan server, making it crash like crazy requiring reboot. It made Maya (a much much better program, much more stable too) slow and unstable, and photoshop would hang.

After uninstalling R4 immediatly, the problems still persisted. So I had to manually snuff out R4's .dlls, registry keys etc. R4 installs so much useless junk like Idrop and all this other .msi crap that I didnt need, but cant intall R4 without.

So after cleaning R4 out, I reverted back to R3.1 (which I had to reinstall cuz it was also affected), and I had to restore Maya, Softimage|XSI, RenderMan. But man I have such a nasty taste in my mouth after using R4. Not that I need it, but there are some scripts and plugins which require it, but I can live without em.

But man, R4 you can tell was a rushed effort. Im so totally dissappointed. But I use Maya anyway, a far superior program so Im not all saddened . Its just that I grew up on Max, and want to use the latest version, but R4 just REFUSES to work properly. Grr.
    forums: pcfx.cc
    gallery: here

I think it's definitel the crappy new protection that's causing a lot of the problems. With 3.1, there was the "dongle" which didn't require as much software trickery as that c-dilla nonsense...

Comment

If you have problems with 3DSMax call tech support or visit http://support.autodesk.com/
      If you don't have a license, don't use it or at least don't bother to make that public or moreover at last don't wine about it.
      $0.05,
      -Tom
      www.MCSEboard.de
      German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

If you don't have a license, don't use it or at least don't bother to make that public or moreover at last don't wine about it.
        Um, we do have a license, if I didnt we wouldnt be able to download the damn update from Discreets site. We did call tech support but we didnt get any results different than what we already tried.

How about you try not to assume next time when you dont have the facts mmmk?

jeez, a month old post you had to dig up?
        Last edited by Mr. X; Sat 8 Sep '01, 1:00pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. X
          Um, we do have a license, if I didnt we wouldnt be able to download the damn update from Discreets site. We did call tech support but we didnt get any results different than what we already tried.
          I could only state that our company has only made the best experiences with Autodesk's support - that's all I wanted to say. Sorry, just stumbled over the post...
          -Tom
          www.MCSEboard.de
          German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

ok np. I dont know whats up, 3.0, 3.1 works excellent, but R4 had some serious probs for us. We suspect its something with Cdilla. I really wish they used a hardware dongle instead of a software lock, or went with FlexLM like Softimage and Maya do.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X