Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

?? Well - I'm nosey - But who gets some money ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?? Well - I'm nosey - But who gets some money ??

Just wondering - Some really fantastic preview for 3.7 --- I'm so looking forward to it - but I can't help but ask.... (Generally cause I'm a nosey vB Lovin' Bytch) ---- Anyway - Did any of the coders who'd previously contributed brilliant modifications on vB.org get paid anything for their original ideas? 2 things come to mind: No Spam! AND vS-Interactive Profiles.... I'm just wondering how much money these fine coders get to take as part of the profit

Jacquii.

"Question my skill set perhaps, but never question my heart." -- JacquiiCooke.com

Most likely no one will get money. If they did not patent their ideas, there is no reason why Jelsoft should pay for it.
    selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

I doubt anyone was paid as the mods where free anyway.

MAD

Comment

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't get paid - I'm just being nosey - but wouldn't you think they'd at least get a small tip? :P

Jacquii.

ps - It's not the patent that concerns me - but the principle
        And then again - that doesn't concern me either - I'm just nosey

"Question my skill set perhaps, but never question my heart." -- JacquiiCooke.com

Comment

For your knowledge Interactive Profiles used to a paid modification and the coder sold licenses so he made money from that.

Jelsoft doesn't use released modifications codes so there is no reason for them to pay for anyone else.

Comment

A lot of the hacks are ideas from other websites anyway - i.e. myspace and facebook (who borrowed ideas from forums to begin with).

There are some hacks that are the coders own ideas (eg some of Logicians stuff and of course many others) and so personally I think some sort of system needs to be set up where coders at the org are rewarded finiancially.

Of course then there are hacks that the users request.

At the end of the day so long as us lot, the users, show our appreciation (with donations if possible) I think the hack community would be happy. I know many would like an official thank you - but I'm not sure that would be possible or a good idea from a legal standpoint. Maybe now Jelfsoft has a big parent company it can look into the legal side and see if their is leeway...
            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by MsJacquiiC View Post
              ......... but I can't help but ask.... (Generally cause I'm a nosey vB Lovin' Bytch).....
              Jacquii.
              rofl! Jacquii you are so funny
              Peggy
              ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Originally posted by MsJacquiiC View Post
                I'm not saying they should or shouldn't get paid - I'm just being nosey - but wouldn't you think they'd at least get a small tip? :P
                I'm sure they would appreciate a nice donation from you since you feel so strongly on this issue.

Comment

They do it for the love for vB!
                  Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

I'm pretty sure none of the modification coders will make any money off of it
                    Some of them had some good ideas, but ideas like social networking itself can't be under copyright.

I'd say a good portion of modifications are on .org for free. Most people code modifications as a hobby, or for practice, or they created something for their own community and don't mind releasing it for others to use. Generally they don't expect much financial compensation anyway.

For Jelsoft, I'm pretty sure it's far easier to code and implement ideas themselves. It's probably easier (and perhaps even cheaper) to write their own code and make it work the way they want to, instead of buying out others' code and trying to make it work in the existing software.

However, if there ever was a modification bought by Jelsoft, I doubt Jelsoft or the person who had the code bought would want to disclose details or figures. They might not even be allowed to depending on the terms of the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightPyro View Post
                      However, if there ever was a modification bought by Jelsoft, I doubt Jelsoft or the person who had the code bought would want to disclose details or figures. They might not even be allowed to depending on the terms of the contract.
                      Exactly, chances are both parties would want it to be done under NDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                        Exactly, chances are both parties would want it to be done under NDA.
                        Yeah very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard King View Post
                          For your knowledge Interactive Profiles used to a paid modification and the coder sold licenses so he made money from that.

Jelsoft doesn't use released modifications codes so there is no reason for them to pay for anyone else.
                          Um I do know about IP - but are you flaming me.
                          You've already called me a Jerk or some shyt.
                          Stop hating me....

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                          At the end of the day so long as us lot, the users, show our appreciation (with donations if possible) I think the hack community would be happy.
                          Yep - So true - and trust me - I've made my fair share of donations

Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart View Post
                          rofl! Jacquii you are so funny
                          LOL - well I do try to amuse the masses

Originally posted by stanswx View Post
                          I'm sure they would appreciate a nice donation from you since you feel so strongly on this issue.
                          Hmmmm - Yeah I'm sure "they" would - and when I'm in a financial position to dole out wonder contributions I will, as I just love spreading the wealth - but seriously - I just wonder if any of the vB.org contributors/coders were even thanked for having such a wonderful idea. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not saying anything negative whether yes or no - but just curious. And please noone tell me about curiosity and the cat.

Originally posted by xjuliox View Post
                          They do it for the love for vB!
                          Absolutely - and what a lovely love it is - I know 41 I am definitely a vBAddict lol - but yeah - just kinda curious is all... And one reason is because it was interesting to see PsionicVision shut his site down and make all of his modifications free to the vB.org public - I wonder if there was some kind of financial retribution to him...

Originally posted by MidnightPyro View Post
                          YES! You make a very valid point - That's why I'm waiting for one of the vB.com Admins to come breezing by and satisfy my curiosity LOL

JAcquii.

Comment

Avoiding the censors is just as bad as posting the real words.

Comment

I didn't think I WAS bypassing any censors - I didn't realize vB.com made use of the censor list - Perhaps I should read the rules afterall lol

Jacquii.

btw - Feel free to edit the post if you like - Doesn't really matter to me - but I'm not the PC type anyway - It's like saying the N-Word - what's in a word - A little crazy if you ask me, as we all seem to be adults here....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X