X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use both

Comment

Originally posted by djpassion View Post
      cant stand vista. xp pro/home all the way for me.
      What is it that you can't stand about it?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

You posted a reply to the internet, accept or deny?

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
          You posted a reply to the internet, accept or deny?
          Huh? this makes no sense with the conversation.

Wayne Luke

Comment

You missed an option off the poll - 'Neither because I use the Apple Mac'

Actually, I have Vista installed on a Sony Vaio laptop with 1GB ram, and find it crashes every few days which is very annoying. Also noticeable is the fact that the Windows software updates most evenings!

As far as I'm aware, the most annoying problem users are encountering with Vista is the driver problem with using older hardware as in scanners, printers, etc not recognised.

My other Windows based PC seems pretty rock solid, rarely crashing, in fact, I can't actually remember when it actually did crash!

Longer term, Vista will be sorted out by Microsoft and the third party software and hardware vendors, in the meantime everyone else will have to put up with the unstable environment

Bearing in mind the complexities of modern day software it's no wonder that problems take time to be resolved with any new releases - just look at vBulletin software upgrades.

It's easy to complain when something doesn't work properly, but it's only when you appreciate what is going on in the background to make it all work efficiently, that you realise what huge investments in manpower and resources are required - I'm just pleased I'm not on the cutting edge of writing software technology!

Comment

I made the switch months ago, in order to gain familiarity with the O/S due to the work I do. All I can say is AAARRGGH. After 7+ months, I still can't stand Vista. Doesn't network well at all (home network, with XP clients, Win2K3 & Linux Servers). Very frustrating, not too mention the bloated needs of the O/S to both run it and use the Aero interface. Unreal. It has been stable since I brought most of the hardware components up to snuff, and brought memory to 4 GB. Time will tell, but in my history, coming up from the varying versions since the beginning, XP was a move forward (combining the kernels) as was 95. Everything else has been nothing but marketing bloat, meant to drive us further into M$ dependence. Long Live Linux.

As for the things I can't stand.

#1 Bloat.
              #2 Constant Re-Authorization (when turned off, other issues are induced)
              #3 mail compatibility is horrible (Vista mail and Outlook Express not compatible)
              #4 Windows Update is dummified
              #5 did I mention compatibility?
              #6 the list goes on, but I am tired.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                Huh? this makes no sense with the conversation.
                Err.. You asked what somebody can't stand about it. Floris gave an example.

(In case you don't understand he's exaggerating the horror that is User Account Control)

It was a VERY funny exaggeration, may I add. I ROFLed.

-----------------

Thinking about it, I've actually had that experience with IE7!! I clicked on a link and it wanted me to confirm that I was changing domains!!!!! IE FTL.

(OK fine, what it actually was was an inconsistency in my links on a local test server. I was loading something with AJAX from "localhost" and my current domain was 127.0.0.1.. but I was still baffled as to why the hell IE7 kept prompting me. Stupid software. (BTW, I understand the implementation there, and the security concerns.... I still thought it was funny. )

Comment

Oh.... I stopped seeing User Access Control about three hours after I started using Vista. Its still enabled, just trained and permissions set on individual items so that I don't see it anymore.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by PossumX View Post

As for the things I can't stand.

#1 Bloat.
                    #2 Constant Re-Authorization (when turned off, other issues are induced)
                    #3 mail compatibility is horrible (Vista mail and Outlook Express not compatible)
                    #4 Windows Update is dummified
                    #5 did I mention compatibility?
                    #6 the list goes on, but I am tired.

#1: Change the 'theme' to classic, and it get rid of the 'bloat.
                    #2: Not sure what you are referring to here, maybe UAC. If so, simply turn it of.

#3: Outlook Express email, contacts, etc can easily be imported to Windows Mail, the process takes only a few minutes depending on how large the OE files are.

#4: Windows update is Windows update. It still looks for software & hardware updates.

#5: Compatibly? You (and so many others) are blaming the wrong person. Hardware and software companies has plenty of time to work with Vista prior to its release in order to make the drivers for their products compatible with Vista. It's not Microsoft's fault that these companies waited until the last minute to release compatible hardware/software.

#6: The list goes on and on for many people, but as is the case ~90% of the time, it comes down to user error.

Like any other OS, it's far from perfect, but the majority of the so called 'issues' are nonexistent and simply come down to the user.
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by jw0ollard View Post
                      (OK fine, what it actually was was an inconsistency in my links on a local test server. I was loading something with AJAX from "localhost" and my current domain was 127.0.0.1.. but I was still baffled as to why the hell IE7 kept prompting me. Stupid software. (BTW, I understand the implementation there, and the security concerns.... I still thought it was funny. )
                      From your description you were switching from a trusted zone (intranet - localhost) to an untrusted zone (internet - 127.0.0.1). It would have asked you if you wanted to open the untrusted content in a new window (and process) to keep the process in the trusted zone secure. I personally consider this a benefit and not a hassle.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X