Simpsons !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simpsons !!

I am new to this board and vbulletin but i was just wondering something.

Why do so many people on this board have a Simpson character as ther Avatar.

Is there something i am missing. Did Matt Groening develop vbulletin on the side - lol !!

Sorry for the typos - need a new keyboard.
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

All (well, most) of the Moderators here have a Simpsons avatar - we decided to use the simpsons as a theme which may change in the future. The old theme was the Charlie Brown cartoons.

Comment

but aren't the Simpsons characters copyrighted? I seriously doubt they are public domain.
      and if they aren't the original drawings, only made to look similar, then wouldn't you be breaking trademark laws.

This seems very fishy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anscoop
        but aren't the Simpsons characters copyrighted? I seriously doubt they are public domain.
        and if they aren't the original drawings, only made to look similar, then wouldn't you be breaking trademark laws.

This seems very fishy to me.
        Hmmm...

Okay, if 20th Century Fox has a problem with us using their characters for fun, please have them contact us.

-jim

Comment

Hmmm...

Okay, if 20th Century Fox has a problem with us using their characters for fun, please have them contact us.
          scuze me for stepping on your toes, I simply thought that a company that professes to withold a professional image wouldn't stoop to breaking copyright laws.
          I don't know f you're trying to play this as a parody in using the words "fun" but (and I am no legal expert) this doesn't look very much like a parody.
          So, if one reads this thread and the thread titled:Legal? or Not? a common sense conclusion would be that the Jelsoft team are hypocritical.
          So to paraphrase one of your fellow moderators:
          They are an integral part of the 20th Century Fox image , and though I don't know the legalities of whether or not you can use it, morally I think it is unacceptable. If you are creating something for a yours and the publics enjoyment, create your own graphics - they can be similar(though similar might still be breaking trademarks), but not identical to the 20th Century Fox ones.
          My point is, you can't pretend to play like a big time company and then back out saying, oh we're breaking copyright laws, but it's just for "fun"! don't be so serious. The game called "real world" doesn't work like that.
          Last edited by Anscoop; Tue 7 Aug '01, 10:11am.

Comment

Comment

Actually when you guys first started the Simpsons theme... I was thinking about the copyright problems...

I would be careful...and maybe think of continueing...
              http://www.fox.com/corporate/terms.htm

I'm not sure if you wrote them or not for permission to use the charactors as temporary avatars... but it would be VERY wise to do some now if you haven't already...

I'd hate to have something happen because of this (you never know with a huge corp. like Fox).

Just my 2 1/2 cents

Tonya

Comment

Wow!

What started out as me making a little Joke has turned into a copyright arguement.

But dont worry guys i will keep my jokes to myself in future.

I do know a bit out the legal system though:

It only becomes illegal if/when you try to pass off the work as your own and/or make financial gain from it.

There is a lot of other jargon i can include but i dont think i will bother.

I wouldn't worry about it guys. (If anything u r actually advertising the Simpsons).

Bye for now
                Email: [email protected]
                Site: Under Construction

Comment

All this is done in fun. Anyone who sees the Simpsons icons as being wrong is being a bit touchy wouldn't you think? Now I don't know what Fox might think but I doubt they'll do anything about it.

Next we'll be talking about how the smiley faces are copyrighted too. And let's not forget "VB" either. M$ might be up Jelsoft's behind soon!

Take it easy guys is what I say.
                  Well, there it is.
                  - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

I'm sorry lady, but you are wrong. Jelsoft moderator's are allowed to use the avatars as long as they want, as long as they do not try and make a profit off it. Or try and use them for their own product.

They can use them in their messages, avatars, signatures, whatever they please. Copyright infringment doesn't take place until one party uses it for their own benefitial use (make money off it).

For example, goto any large company such as CNet or whatever. I'll bet you that they will have some sort of image there that isn't theres. They use it for public use, and don't use it for their product or make money off it.

You are an old uptight girl that needs to learn how to chill. Do you work for the Simpsons? No, so get a life. No one wants to hear about your "illegal simpson use" thread. That is rediculous, and Jelsoft Enterprises has better things to do than try and break laws.. lol. They are a real company, and know what they're doing. If you want to bash on a company that has no idea of what they're doing, then goto Infopop's website and do it there.

Comment

Fred,

Are you talking to me?? I would hope not... I'm just making an observation... And I'm not old...and I'm not uptight... And I went to business school and took business law... I know more about copyrights than you do...

Plus, I was just commenting... I wasn't saying, "You should take those off....because they're copyrighted... blah blah blah..."

I only added my comment because I know of several sites that had copyrighted material on their site - a personal site -- and got a letter from an attorney saying "you better take that done or we're going to sue..." And they had to...

I was just adding a comment... nothing more... nothing less...

So I think you should chill.... and take it easy...
                      Last edited by rockergrrl; Wed 8 Aug '01, 12:43pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                        They can use them in their messages, avatars, signatures, whatever they please. Copyright infringment doesn't take place until one party uses it for their own benefitial use (make money off it).
                        This is absolutely incorrect... and this is not the first time I've seen comments made about copyrights that are completely false. Please don't mislead people by stating something as fact when you are not sure. If you want to learn more about copyrights, I would suggest reading: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Fred, I also don't like the way you made personal attacks on Tonya in your last paragraph, and would appreciate you refraining from such in the future.

As far the Simpsons avatars, yes they are clearly copyrighted material... however, the entertainment industry is normally not upset (and in fact silently encourage) fans to use some of their images on other sites. However, I will send Fox an email just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                          I'm sorry lady, <snip>

You are an old uptight girl that needs to learn how to chill. Do you work for the Simpsons? No, so get a life. No one wants to hear about your "illegal simpson use" thread. That is rediculous, and Jelsoft Enterprises has better things to do than try and break laws.. lol. They are a real company, and know what they're doing. If you want to bash on a company that has no idea of what they're doing, then goto Infopop's website and do it there.

I dont think that was called for in any shape or form, do you?
                          I dont know you personally but from this attack you seem to have made it seems maturity levels are low. There was no need for it Fred. jeesh

Copyright laws are everything. if I came over to Truthugs.com and stole all your images for use on a personal site, you wouldnt be saying chill everything. You would be threatening me with making a complaint to upstream providers etc.
                          Last edited by Nicholas Brown; Wed 8 Aug '01, 1:04pm.

Comment

Rockergirl, that wasnt meant towards you .

The Simpsons are a worldwide known cartoon. People can use, no one would care at all. Simpsons are like the gods of the cartoon industry.

Comment

Perhaps we should let the issue rest for a while until we hear from Fox.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X