Rate this PC Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate this PC Case

I'm looking for a really good case to replace my Silverstone case. Been looking at this one. Anybody have one of these. Would like some feedback if you do.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=614549

Don't really like it to be honest.

The nicest gamer case i think around right now is the Antec Nine Hundred, (PSU Not Included)..

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

To be honest, it wasn't the look of the case that I went for. But the fact it has two 92mm front intake fans and a 120mm exhaust fan at the rear. Plus it has the width to fit the zalaman areoflow cpu fans. The new larger versions out now that require a very wide case to fit them.

Thing is. I already have a very expensive Silverstone case. that has one front intake fan situated behind a closing front door panel. And I've noticed if I convert a film for example. The CPU temp rises to about 62 degrees. But if I open the front door panel so the front fan can take in more cold air without being hampered by the front door being closed. My CPU drops to about 39-41 degrees. Thats what I liked about this case, It has two front intake fans that are not hidden behind a front door panel. So you get maximum air flow all the time without having to open a door panel there hidden behind. Which I currently have to do now to achieve this on the silverstone case. Even though I have one top extrator fan. Two rear 92mm fans. Two 92mm side panel fans (custom fitted). And one front intake 92mm fan. Plus a Zalaman Areo CPU cooler. It seems it the front intake fan makes the most difference because of the flow from front to back. But as I said its hidden behind a front door panel on my Silverstone case which has to be opened to get the cooling from it.
      Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 8 Nov '07, 5:13pm.

Comment

Your case is way over proced.

http://www.coolermaster.com/products...te=168&id=2870

Im using the 831 and did not get the bundled. However has 9 120mm fans. Can fit the biggest of CPU coolers. Runs about $300 us.

Comment

I've looked very closley at the Cooler Master 830 Stacker. It was the other choice. But it has no front intake fans though. Which makes the most difference in my eyes for better cooling, when combined with a cpu fan like a Zalaman that pushes air to the back of the case so you have a continues front to back air flow. That was the only let down for me with that case.

Otherwise it would have been my first choice

EDIT
          MMmmm, seems I was wrong. It does have a 120mm front intake fan

Comment

Take back what I said. I just looked at a review of the CM Stacker 830. It suffers from the same problem. Yes, it has a front intake fan. But again it is hidden behind a front door panel. And to make matters worse. It's situated below the mesh also to make it even less efficient at drawing air in. So again that 120mm fan will not work that well unless you leave your front door panel open for better air intake.

Unlike the Zalaman which has no front door panels to impede air floor on the two 92mm front fans.

Honestly, anybody who has a case with a front intake fan hidden behind a door panel. Try opening the door and watch your CPU temp drop drastically and you'll know what I mean. Especially if you have your PC setup with a CPU fan like an Zalaman AREO that pushes air to the back of the case to be extracted by the rear fans.
            Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 8 Nov '07, 6:15pm.

Comment

Bigger fan, lower rpm, less noise, <3 120

I like the looks of the case in the first post, the one in the second post is too industrial for me.

Comment

The first case is not something that I would buy but it looks okay. I have been going for slimline and mini cases lately just because they look better and provide what I need. As long as they have room for 1 PCI-e card and 1 PCI card, I am happy. I don't need a lot of extras in the individual computer as the drives are on the file server. So a video card, sound connection, 300-400 GB hard drive and network connection are all the extra internals that I need.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                  Take back what I said. I just looked at a review of the CM Stacker 830. It suffers from the same problem. Yes, it has a front intake fan. But again it is hidden behind a front door panel. And to make matters worse. It's situated below the mesh also to make it even less efficient at drawing air in. So again that 120mm fan will not work that well unless you leave your front door panel open for better air intake.

Unlike the Zalaman which has no front door panels to impede air floor on the two 92mm front fans.

Honestly, anybody who has a case with a front intake fan hidden behind a door panel. Try opening the door and watch your CPU temp drop drastically and you'll know what I mean. Especially if you have your PC setup with a CPU fan like an Zalaman AREO that pushes air to the back of the case to be extracted by the rear fans.
                  The whole front door is a big grate, there is a mesh filter below. If you really need front intake fans you can have 3 on the front. Also the case can have 4 side intake fans if you need it.

Comment

At the moment, this is my favorite case

http://thermaltake.com/product/Chass.../va8003bws.asp
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Too few drivebays. With all of the addons that can be mounted in them now, only 4 isn't enough.

92mm fans aren't much of an improvement with airflow/pressure than 80mm (and the noise is only slightly less). If you want serious cooling, get 120mm fans, period.

Like the Thermaltake's Armor case (pre-modded even for water cooling), but the outtake 92mm fans are the bummer.

If all else fails because your CPU HSF is too large or unique (one of the concerns I have with the Scythe tower coolers, let alone the weight for a vertical mount), is to case mod. Find a fat case, get the Dremel out, and make a cooling solution yourself. With custom setups it's not much of a choice, as the newer HUGE HSFs block the case airflow.
                      "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                      is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Get your facts straight Chris. The Armor case I linked above has:

Intake:
                        1 x 250mm fan (side)
                        1 x 120mm fan (front)

Exhaust:
                        2 x 90mm fans (top/and upper rear)
                        and
                        1 x 120mm fan (below 90mm rear)

There's a 120 in the mix.
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                          Get your facts straight Chris. The Armor case I linked above has
                          Before getting ugly, understand there's at least 3 versions of the Armor case. The one you're showing is the latest version, with the huge side fan.

It still has the 92mm outtake fans.

Read carefully.

And yes, Josh, I mod cases; PSUs; HSF; and even sanded and polished the CPU to the copper core (even a DI would be proud of that shine). That's my true love of computing -- hardware.
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I think most of you are missing the point. Front intake fans enclosed behind a door panel don't work well enough. If you have a case that has a front intake fan situated behind a closed front panel and have software to monitor CPU temps. I'll prove my case!!!

Open you front door panel for 10 minutes and tell me how much your CPU temp drops. Then you'll know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                              Open you front door panel for 10 minutes and tell me how much your CPU temp drops. Then you'll know what I mean.
                              Yeah, don't have a door for the intake fans, either.

If all fails you can go ghetto, and do what some OCers have done: take off the case door, aim a floor fan into it, and cool it that way.

But, seriously, for good cooling the outtake airflow is equally important (because you can add an intake fan anywhere -- side/front/top). It's important to get cool air in, hot air out, and that both don't pool in the center.

Ideally, the intake will have an equal outtake with mininmal distance and resistance between them. Fan in front, with the front intake air flowing over the cpu/mem/videocard area, then the exhaust of the CPU/Videocard expelled from the exhaust fans (and now with the help of the PSU fan). A curved linear airflow.

Yet one of the airflow problems I've seen in the past few years is putting the intake fans in front of a HDD cage. It will cool the HDD, but the airflow in the case is blocked. The result is relying on side spot fans to take up the slack. Those side fans are great at spot cooling, but they blow at the side, not towards the rear. It's creates an aerodynamic mess.

Then add these new HUGE HSF assemblies to the equation (that leaves about 1" space to the door, blocking the exhaust fan(s) completely), it's no wonder why OCers are turning to watercooling/phase change more.

But for you, if you want the max air cooling, use 120mm fans, and make sure the intake fan(s) aren't blocked by the HDD cage. Your system needs cool air that's not impeded and more than taking off the front door can provide. If you have a RAID-5 (3+ HDD), think of a dedicated cooling for that rack, all together.

I'm still looking for a base case for a C2D system, but none of them has the space; all 120mm fans; and enough 5.25 bays (eyeballed Newegg like an eagle). May have to just get a 5U case and mod it for the job, instead (going horizontal, as the HSF towers are just plain too heavy -- 2lb chunks of copper and aluminum now).
                              ~~~
                              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X