Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenni
    replied
    Bots can't. Humans can. This is all about stopping bots. Not humans. It isn't possible to stop humans to create spam accounts.

Leave a comment:

• ---MAD---
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Or anything you want, even "What is the middle name of the third president of the United States?"
    Yeah exactly. Do you think they can figure out ones like "whats this website called?"?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Or anything you want, even "What is the middle name of the third president of the United States?"

Leave a comment:

• Lenni
    replied
    Originally posted by RedTyger View Post
    There are already bots that can read mathematical questions for that kind of registration and personally I think its a very misguided idea. It may be readable across languages, but it is a question that comes easily to computers to say the least. All they'd have to do is learn to look for it the sum, they wouldn't have to work at solving it at all.

Not that I have an ingenious alternative, unfortunately.
    Oh, well you don't have to use mathematical questions. Just like in Steve's link, you can ask for spelling or simple YES, NO answers.

Leave a comment:

• Lenni
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    This is already built into vB. Just create a new custom Profile Field and make it required. See this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205214
    Cool. Thanks Steve!

Leave a comment:

• RedTyger
    replied
    Originally posted by rin View Post
    I currently run a phpBB with an additional Spam Protection since I was getting flooded with Spam. Now there's a system in place that will ask simple questions. For example: 4 + 3 is? ... Yeah! 7.
    There are already bots that can read mathematical questions for that kind of registration and personally I think its a very misguided idea. It may be readable across languages, but it is a question that comes easily to computers to say the least. All they'd have to do is learn to look for it the sum, they wouldn't have to work at solving it at all.

Not that I have an ingenious alternative, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    This is already built into vB. Just create a new custom Profile Field and make it required. See this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205214

Leave a comment:

• Lenni
    replied
    I currently run a phpBB with an additional Spam Protection since I was getting flooded with Spam. Now there's a system in place that will ask simple questions. For example: 4 + 3 is? ... Yeah! 7. Since you can add your very own custom questions and answers, this successfully keeps spam bots from registering. I would like to see something like this built into vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• Freesteyelz
    replied
    I've been quite happy with the Prevent Spam Post mod. So far it has captured every spam posting attempt without any false positives.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    That system requires them to download the image and manipulate it to store the result. They are basically building a rainbow table for captcha. If you're site uses a custom font list and custom background images then it would be like salting your MD5 hashes to break rainbow tables. With vBulletin you could easily change the fonts and backgrounds used on a regular basis as well. Just build several sets and switch them out every month or so. The humans won't notice the difference but it would take ages for a machine to get a captcha that has been decoded and recognizes.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    http://www.captchakiller.com/

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by Kurisu View Post
    There are already bots which can verify the e-mail adress and bypass CAPTCHA.
    I've never seen any proof of that.

Leave a comment:

• Kurisu
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    None of which are nessary with the proper options set for the vBulletin capcha.
    There are already bots which can verify the e-mail adress and bypass CAPTCHA.

Leave a comment:

• class101
    replied
    I dunno if you can call the phpBB2 a CAPTCHA dude, at least the on in the BB3 stops bot, the one in BB2 stops nothing at all, the one in vB is far much advanced and hardly breakable + NoSpam plugin found on vbulletin.org, it just stops all.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLM2001
    replied
    Just keep in mind that no registration verification can stop a human from filling out the form, then releasing the bots afterwards. Like with any security, if the bad guys want in, they will get in. And that's the limitations of technology and being public with it -- so no matter who or what it is, spam will exist as long as humans want to spam it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X