Newbie Here for some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here for some questions.

I'm interested in buying vBulletin, but there are few things that I am worried about.

I am planning to purchase, vBSeo after I purchase vBulletin, but the concern of mines is the following, and please try to answer and do your best to help me out here.

- I am planning to have 50,000+ members as my forum grows, so can I have shared hosting, or will I need VPS or wat?

- I am new to vBulletin and don't have expereince with PHP and all those things, and my friend told me, once you get so many members there will be many who will be trying to hack or get into the loop holes.. , .. I thought vBulletin was secure, I have no idea about PHP, and so on... so will it be hard for me to keep the forum protected?

Also 1 more thing.

Can I keep making backups of forum every once a week or something, incase i do get hacked or something? Will it be easy to make back up with vbseo .?

Thanks a lot guys!
    The Webmaster Community Forum

Originally posted by Garala View Post
    I'm interested in buying vBulletin, but there are few things that I am worried about.

I am planning to purchase, vBSeo after I purchase vBulletin, but the concern of mines is the following, and please try to answer and do your best to help me out here.

- I am planning to have 50,000+ members as my forum grows, so can I have shared hosting, or will I need VPS or wat?

- I am new to vBulletin and don't have expereince with PHP and all those things, and my friend told me, once you get so many members there will be many who will be trying to hack or get into the loop holes.. , .. I thought vBulletin was secure, I have no idea about PHP, and so on... so will it be hard for me to keep the forum protected?

Also 1 more thing.

Can I keep making backups of forum every once a week or something, incase i do get hacked or something? Will it be easy to make back up with vbseo .?

Thanks a lot guys!

Welcome dude, Thats alot of users in your goal . And i dont have a vB but vB is secure its just up the the Web-Master/Administrator to keep it safe.

Heres some security measures:

Examine users-See what they do see how they post watch their moves.

Extra Admin-I would suggest creating an Extra Administrator but not on the list so if worst comes the worst you have it planned.

ALAWAYS KEEP BACK UP'S- As you staed your planning on 50,000 users + So its very important that you have one.

Choose Wisely- If you have that many users im sure you will have staff, Choose carefully and watch very closely.

Well, Im sure there's lots more just from expierence you can find some wise tip's.

Good Luck
    -Josh

Comment

1. That depends on how many users you expect to have on the forums at one time and hen you expect to reach that goal. Personally I would start with shared hosting since new forums rarely grow rapidly enough to immediately need VSP or dedicated unless you are a major corporation or organization.

2. We take security very seriously and do the best we can to ensure that vBulletin has no security holes. As part of this effort to ensure the security of vBulletin, our developers work diligently to make sure that incoming data is sanitized and from approved sources. This is their number one concern.

Some of the tools we include are:
      - Using to protect data is to use a double MD5 hashed password with a randomly generated salt to prevent dictionary or rainbow table attacks on a database.
      - A login strike's system that disables an IP addresses for a period of time after 5 wrong guesses.
      - Password expiration and History to force users to change their passwords regularly
      - Not transmitting plaintext passwords during login (requires javascript to be enabled in the user's browser)
      - The ability to log invalid attempts to log into the Admin Control Center.
      - Incoming data can be restricted to specific domains.
      - Data sanitization to specific variable types as needed
      - And more...

If a vulnerability is discovered, it is forwarded to the developers and they investigate it as the highest priority. If it is a valid issue, then a fix is released as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours of discovery.

Unfortunately security issues are a fact of life with online software. While we work hard to avoid and eliminate security issues, we cannot guarantee that our software is completely free from bugs or security issues.

However as our record shows, we aggressively track and fix any security issues as soon as they become known to us.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Balthasorus View Post
        Welcome dude, Thats alot of users in your goal . And i dont have a vB but vB is secure its just up the the Web-Master/Administrator to keep it safe.

Heres some security measures:

Examine users-See what they do see how they post watch their moves.

Extra Admin-I would suggest creating an Extra Administrator but not on the list so if worst comes the worst you have it planned.

ALAWAYS KEEP BACK UP'S- As you staed your planning on 50,000 users + So its very important that you have one.

Choose Wisely- If you have that many users im sure you will have staff, Choose carefully and watch very closely.

Well, Im sure there's lots more just from expierence you can find some wise tip's.

Good Luck
        -Josh
        Thanks for your time and response! Helped me a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          1. That depends on how many users you expect to have on the forums at one time and hen you expect to reach that goal. Personally I would start with shared hosting since new forums rarely grow rapidly enough to immediately need VSP or dedicated unless you are a major corporation or organization.

2. We take security very seriously and do the best we can to ensure that vBulletin has no security holes. As part of this effort to ensure the security of vBulletin, our developers work diligently to make sure that incoming data is sanitized and from approved sources. This is their number one concern.

Some of the tools we include are:
          - Using to protect data is to use a double MD5 hashed password with a randomly generated salt to prevent dictionary or rainbow table attacks on a database.
          - A login strike's system that disables an IP addresses for a period of time after 5 wrong guesses.
          - Password expiration and History to force users to change their passwords regularly
          - Not transmitting plaintext passwords during login (requires javascript to be enabled in the user's browser)
          - The ability to log invalid attempts to log into the Admin Control Center.
          - Incoming data can be restricted to specific domains.
          - Data sanitization to specific variable types as needed
          - And more...

If a vulnerability is discovered, it is forwarded to the developers and they investigate it as the highest priority. If it is a valid issue, then a fix is released as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours of discovery.

Unfortunately security issues are a fact of life with online software. While we work hard to avoid and eliminate security issues, we cannot guarantee that our software is completely free from bugs or security issues.

However as our record shows, we aggressively track and fix any security issues as soon as they become known to us.
          Thank You for your time and answer!

I just want to know, so I won't have to worry too much about security right?

I am 16 and just getting started with vBulletin, and don't have knowledge in PHP.. and other things.

Comment

You should always worry about security - whether it is a web application or your home PC.

Please see this thread on recommendations for making vBulletin more secure:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172234
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X