This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tolitz
    Hmmm, here's something to think about - since Ikonboard is commonly used by people who are on free webhosts (which rarely have PHP/MySQL support), would it be a good move for Ikonboard to move totally to a PHP/MySQL architecture? Perl is still the most prevalent programming environment, which is why Ikonboard got to be so popular, not only because it's free, but because almost ALL webhosts support Perl, but not all of them support PHP.

With Ikonboard's goal to satisfy as much users as possible, I think they may consider a conversion tool, or maybe even two different versions (Perl or PHP) like WWWThreads has, but I doubt they're gonna move totally to PHP/MySQL coz of their target users.

Just a thought
    Umm Ikonboard isnt being converted to PHP, and the MySQL is an option, not a mandatory requirement. The gold version will offer a choice of DBM or MySQL databases on installation, but it will still be written in Perl.

Comment

Correct, Ikonboard will offer 3 different database options...
      MySQL is just my pref....

Just saying it is a very good board... for the money (FREE)

Comment

Originally posted by Ping Production
        When Ikonboard does Release the GOLD version, with PHP/MySQL
        Driven.... Im sure it will really hurt vBulletin....
        Hehehe, sorry, was referring to the above statement, which turned out to be incorrect, after all...

Yeah, MySQL would make IKB faster, for sure...
        Last edited by Tolitz; Mon 6 Aug '01, 11:52am.
        OPEN TECH SUPPORT
        "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Typo

Sorry.. was a typo...

Was supposed to say "with MySQL support.."
          Driven fell into my head while typing -=(

Comment

I'm thinking about using iB for a smaller site of mine -- I would go for vB on this site - except I don't have $85 right now... So I'm using iB3.

I already own 3 vB licenses... 2 in use and one that is semi in use (project put on hold at the moment).

Comment

I wonder, Will the "mysql" support that is coming in IB be just an absraction layer or will it by "native" support?

Comment

Wert, my iB hating friend.

SQL is a language, no other programming language can claim to be native to it.

PHP and Perl both have to jump through the same hoops to access a mySQL database.

Ikonboard will be using a module, just like vBulletin does. This allows us to use other database types rather than hardcoding the whole thing in the scripts.

Perl modules are compiled at run time, so it's no different from coding it directly into the script.

I don't know what you mean by "native" support - logically that's impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                  Wert, my iB hating friend.
                  Good info, but for the record, I do not "hate" IB. I rather like it in fact. Very nice looking board, great features..

But in the past, installation has always been a pain in the ass for me. I've heard this from many other users. Hopefully the newer versions will address this and some other issues I've seen *slow searching and loading of pages on really busy boards* Perhaps the new "corporate owned hosted IB" thing will help out users a little more than the current setup does....

Once the mysql version is ready *months? years?* I'll be glad to reevaluate it and give it another shot...

[b]
                  Ikonboard will be using a module, just like vBulletin does. This allows us to use other database types rather than hardcoding the whole thing in the scripts/B]
                  Since when does VB support other databases? I thought it was php/mySQL only. For now at least.

Comment

While vB only supports MySQL at the moment, we still use a database module ($DB_site in teh code) rather than using standard mysql_query statements to allow for future support of different databases.

Comment

vBulletin is the best forum I have yet to see, without a doubt. I can honestly say that some sites which run Ikonboard, are very slow loading times compared to vB. vB has set the standard for forums, I look at everything else as a copy cat of it for people who don't want to pay the money to own one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogface
                        vBulletin is the best forum I have yet to see, without a doubt. I can honestly say that some sites which run Ikonboard, are very slow loading times compared to vB. vB has set the standard for forums, I look at everything else as a copy cat of it for people who don't want to pay the money to own one.
                        why on Earth have you relplied to such an old topic?!?!

Matt doesn't even code IB anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by megahard
                          why on Earth have you relplied to such an old topic?!?!

Matt doesn't even code IB anymore.
                          I know, since then matt has moved on to Invison Power Board http://www.invisionboard.com

and this topic is two years old. You may want to change whether or not you are viewing "ascending" or "descending"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X