X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin vs. Ikonboard

I know you guys might be a little biased with this question, but:

What would be the advantages of vBulletin over Ikonboard v3, or vice versa?

Please only give serious advantages/disadvantages. Don't go all out in favor of one or the other, as this will be a big investment on my part. Thanks!

Ikonboard uses DBM module at the moment, or runs flatfile, so it is a much greater burden on the host's resources than vB. The vBulletin software runs on a MySQL database, so it is not only a lesser burden on the host, but it runs/loads/executes much, much faster.
    I'll leave it up to the rest to give you a step-by-step technological comparison.

Comment

Bad news, Alien...

Matt (Ikonboard creator) is working on a module to allow the administrator to switch from flat file to SQL with the click of a button, so to speak.

I am an iB (Ikonboard) user. vB has lots of great stuff, and is probably a better script than iB.

However, in my very humble opinion, it's not $160 better.

Comment

I prefer IB... but what can I say, I am biased

Comment

Originally posted by heartcall
          I prefer IB... but what can I say, I am biased

Well, as I said over in the 'old country', I would have a hard time choosing if not for the monetary issues.

Comment

Well,as for speed,and how hard on the server, ikonboard running under mod_perl(it CAN be run under it) is no worse,if not better than vBulletin.They both have basically the same GREAT feature set,vBulletins is a little bit better however...a few more features,and a tiny bit more powerful.But that may not be true for long as iB3 is still in Beta,and the skins and languages pack features are not quite done yet.As for support,here you are paying for support,email,and phone,should have great support...but not sure.Ikonboard is free...doesnt have email or phone support,just a GREAT(I know) community.It basically comes down to how much money you have.

Comment

I don't really see why Ikonboard and vBulletin or indeed any other board have to be compared.

Lets face it, they both do the same things - they allow discussion.

The way I see it is that every single board author adds something to the genre. UBB(tm) may have been the first flat view board, but we've all taken that concept and added new features to it.

If you are truly serious about starting a community on your website, and you just want to run it from the box, with the knowledge that if you encounter any problems, you can phone up, send an email or complete a support ticket to get help - then $180 (about £100) is a very small price to pay.
              If you want to get involved with the Ikonboard community and help us all create a bug free board - then thats great too, you'll just have to wait a little longer for support until the 'gold' version is ready and put up with a few known bugs.

Either way - I don't really see the fascination with taking apart each board to see which one is "best".

I started Ikonboard about a year ago now. I didn't write it to try and become the 'best', I didn't write it to try and take custom away from Jelsoft (I had never heard of vBulletin during the time I was developing Ikonboard v1 back in July of last year). I'm just doing my bit to help out the guys that don't have a budget to buy web software.

Just my 0.02 Euro's.
              Last edited by [email protected]; Thu 2nd Aug '01, 6:32am.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                I don't really see why Ikonboard and vBulletin or indeed any other board have to be compared.

I don't really see the fascination with taking apart each board to see which one is "best".
                I can't disagree with most of what you said, Matt, but I do think that comparison certainly has a place. People need to choose between one or the other (in most cases). This means either another customer for Jelsoft or a slightly larger community for Ikonboard--which is what many iBers feel is special about iB.

I do not think that bashing other boards is good, but I don't see the problem with comparing them.

Comment

My first post
                  wow this is my first time using vB, but for some reason, it looks similar to iB, so i can use it properly
                  Well I don't notice many differences in features between iB and vB,
                  So i think they are just about the same,
                  but people want diferent forums, if people like PHP and MySQL over Perl and Flat-file then they would go with vB, if they like it the other way around, they will go with iB,
                  just a matter of requirements.

Comment

Just my 0.02 Euro's.

/nick wacks matt with a £ sign

Comment

wow Matt is also here!!

I see it in the same way as Matt! OK the VBB is a big an really goo bb but it is very expoensive! And the IB is free available, thats what the IB makes it very popular!

Greetz

KK

Comment

Sure, they allow people to talk. But vB looks good while it does it. Anyways, I've only been to a few Ikonboards, didn't really like how they looked and such. So I can't really say anything else about them. w00. oo;

Comment

Originally posted by Folken

Sure, they allow people to talk. But vB looks good while it does it. Anyways, I've only been to a few Ikonboards, didn't really like how they looked and such. So I can't really say anything else about them. w00. oo;
                          Well, the default colors aren't that great, but with a little time you can make your iB look as good as you want. It all depends on the webmaster. I'm using 2.1.8 right now, take a look at it: http://www.gtplanet.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

Comment

Ikonboard

When Ikonboard does Release the GOLD version, with MySQL
                            support.... Im sure it will really hurt vBulletin....
                            The only reason I like vBulletin and I would imagine other do it for
                            its speed and the fact its run off MySQL and PHP.. But when
                            Ikonboard has these same features but for Free, I can not see anyone spending the $90/year for vBulletin...

I feel its really sad that vBulletin and UBB for that matter charge
                            so much for this, It makes me happy to know that Ikonboard and others can see how much some people really need to stay
                            in touch but can not afford a board that cost so much..

So When Ikonboard Gold is out, I am sure I will be going to
                            Ikonboard
                            Last edited by Ping Production; Mon 6th Aug '01, 11:56am.

Comment

Hmmm, here's something to think about - since Ikonboard is commonly used by people who are on free webhosts (which rarely have PHP/MySQL support), would it be a good move for Ikonboard to move totally to a PHP/MySQL architecture? Perl is still the most prevalent programming environment, which is why Ikonboard got to be so popular, not only because it's free, but because almost ALL webhosts support Perl, but not all of them support PHP.

With Ikonboard's goal to satisfy as much users as possible, I think they may consider a conversion tool, or maybe even two different versions (Perl or PHP) like WWWThreads has, but I doubt they're gonna move totally to PHP/MySQL coz of their target users.

Just a thought
                              OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                              "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X