Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking dilemma

Hey,

I am going crazy atm so bare with me. I have just spent 1 hour or even more trying to network my vista laptop to my xp PC. I would later on hope to network my other vista PC to them as well but thats not important at all at the moment.

Basically, I currently have a wireless Dlink ADSL2+ router. The PC (and xbox 360) are both connected via ethernet. The laptop (and the other xp pc which isnt important atm) is connected via wireless. With me so far? Great!

Now. I cannot seem to get a network set up. When I try to set up a home/office network on either machine they error and tell me. The vista pc tells me to set up the router setting or some crap like that.. I have looked at all the router settings and unless I have missed it, there is no obvious setting that will help me here.

I am really stuck here. I need to be able to share files and a printer (which is connect to the xp pc). I have looked around on msn but it hasn't helped atm.

Also, this might help - when I try to share a folder / drive or file it tells me the server isn't operational or something?

Vista I have runnin is premium.
    XP I have running is home.

Thanks a lot
    MAD

I wish I could help but I have the same problem with Vista. I finally gave up.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Using any symantec 2007 or earlier products??
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I got rid of all Norton products. Too bloated and too many problems.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          I got rid of all Norton products. Too bloated and too many problems.
          I have never had a problem with norton and I have been using them for years :S. What anti virus do you use now then?

Any help with the networking issue?

Comment

Well i mention Symantec as their firewall has many issues with Vista, even with Windows XP in certain situations..

Are you networking Vista with XP systems? If you are the Windows XP systems must have the LLTD protocol installed and running for discovery.

If your networking Vista systems alone, can the computer see itself on the network??

And of course, be sure to exclude file and printer sharing from any firewall applications..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I am using AVG and networking does not work with XP. And yes, I have installed the LLTD protocol on the XP machine and made all the obvious adjustments to the firewall settings.

In my view Vista is a tremendous step backwards and I would have been better off staying with XP. I don't have time to spend days on figuring out how to make networking work.

My next computer will be a Mac. I spend far too much time dealing with Windows problems.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

In AVG go into the Control Center.
                Select the Firewall.
                Click Properties.
                Click Configure and select the "System" tab.
                Scroll down to "Microsoft File and Printer Sharing".
                Left click on the red X and set it to Allow.
                Click OK all the way out.

Repeat for each machine. You should be able to see all Networked machines whether they are XP or Vista. If they don't make sure that Network Discovery is turned on as well.

This isn't really a Windows Vista problem. AVG disables peer-to-peer networking by default.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks Wayne. I'll give that a try even though I had the same problem with Norton and before I installed AVG.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I believe, most third party firewalls will block File and Printer Sharing. Technically it is a security risk if you don't know what you are doing and there isn't a routing device between you and the Internet. They should ask the user during install if they want it turned on but they don't. Windows Firewall turns it on based on the Network setup wizard and the role you choose.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Where can I set these settings in norton internet security 2007?

Thanks guys .

Comment

According to this page (albeit for NAV2003), it is considered a system wide rule.
                        http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...1?OpenDocument

Either alter or remove the four rules for incoming and outgoing file sharing.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
                          Well i mention Symantec as their firewall has many issues with Vista, even with Windows XP in certain situations..

Are you networking Vista with XP systems? If you are the Windows XP systems must have the LLTD protocol installed and running for discovery.

If your networking Vista systems alone, can the computer see itself on the network??

And of course, be sure to exclude file and printer sharing from any firewall applications..
                          Where do I get the LLTD protocol? I am trying to do a XP to vista network.
                          Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                          I am using AVG and networking does not work with XP. And yes, I have installed the LLTD protocol on the XP machine and made all the obvious adjustments to the firewall settings.

In my view Vista is a tremendous step backwards and I would have been better off staying with XP. I don't have time to spend days on figuring out how to make networking work.

My next computer will be a Mac. I spend far too much time dealing with Windows problems.
                          I don't think going to a Mac is a good idea. I mean windows has never caused me a problem other than this network thing which is probably because its me not knowing how to do it.
                          Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          According to this page (albeit for NAV2003), it is considered a system wide rule.
                          http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...1?OpenDocument

Either alter or remove the four rules for incoming and outgoing file sharing.
                          Ok, I will try that soon and let you know, thanks.

Comment

Tried allowing some stuff in norton that the page suggested that I thought should be allowed for this purpose but still no luck :S.

Comment

You have to remember in Norton, It's called TRUST.

You need to develop a trust of IP range or if you can set a dedicated ip address up that will be even more secure.

Also be sure the computers are on the same workgroup.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X