Am I being too secure with my forum setup?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin825
    • Jul 2007

Am I being too secure with my forum setup?

I require that users register before they can even browse our forum. I had a problem with trolls and spam before. I have no problem with trolls and spam now.

I am happy with the setup, however, I do get frequent emails from visitors who dislike the fact that I require registration.

Does anyone else setup their forum this way? Is the way I am doing it unheard of?

I know the industry standard is to require people to register before you can post, but allow browsing. I honestly want to keep the setup just like I have it, but I wanted to get some feedback from other forum owners.
  • Ati2
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by admin825
    I require that users register before they can even browse our forum. I had a problem with trolls and spam before. I have no problem with trolls and spam now.

I am happy with the setup, however, I do get frequent emails from visitors who dislike the fact that I require registration.

Does anyone else setup their forum this way? Is the way I am doing it unheard of?

I know the industry standard is to require people to register before you can post, but allow browsing. I honestly want to keep the setup just like I have it, but I wanted to get some feedback from other forum owners.
    What harm do they do if they just browse the forum?
    Queosia - Hódító - Hódító fórum - Spirituális fórum - Spirituális oldal

Comment

• RedTyger
      • Dec 2006
      • 3.8.x

Change it.

Comment

• admin825
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ati2
        What harm do they do if they just browse the forum?
        They are able to see user names and then they use that information to try and contact individuals. These are pretty intense trolls. If you give them any information at all, they will use it for malicious purposes.

Even though the user names are just first names and sometimes a last initial, they (the trolls) can usually use that information and then build on it until they figure out who that user is. I had an open forum before and they still remember many of the users just by user name.

The complaints are not from our approved users, they are from trolls who send complaints in with aliases and nicknames using free hotmail or gmail accounts, etc..

Comment

• Ati2
          • Jan 2006
          • 3.8.x

They are able to see user names and then they use that information to try and contact individuals. These are pretty intense trolls. If you give them any information at all, they will use it for malicious purposes.

Even though the user names are just first names and sometimes a last initial, they (the trolls) can usually use that information and then build on it until they figure out who that user is. I had an open forum before and they still remember many of the users just by user name.

The complaints are not from our approved users, they are from trolls who send complaints in with aliases and nicknames using free hotmail or gmail accounts, etc..
          So how do you make sure these "trolls" cannot register?

You seem to have a unique problem, I've never heard of anything like this with other people.

Why is it good for them to gather info on your users?

If the complaints from these "trolls" annoy you, you could do this: set up an e-mail filter on the contact e-mail address, that only lets through mails from addresses in your forum database.

This is a tricky, and probably stupid solution, but it should immediately stop the "complaining", but your legitimate users can still get through to you.

Comment

• Dean C
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.x

I never register on a forum that requires registration to browse. Ever. Not only is it a put-off for the users, but the content in your forum is the key factor for why people may want to register in the first place. Your content will have no place in the search engines, and that narrows down high volumes of traffic.
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Ati2
              • Jan 2006
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dean C
              I never register on a forum that requires registration to browse. Ever. Not only is it a put-off for the users, but the content in your forum is the key factor for why people may want to register in the first place. Your content will have no place in the search engines, and that narrows down high volumes of traffic.
              There could be cases where this is not a factor.

For example, my forum can be browsed by anyone, but it's not a general-purpose forum, so I never imagine anyone will register because they found the forum in a search engine.

A closed forum, with a closed community, can have its purpose.

And I guess we are talking about a closed community here if outsiders are gathering information about the users, and making lists about who is who, what their names are and even where they might live. I just can't imagine this with thousands of users.

Comment

• admin825
                • Jul 2007

Right now, I have peace on my forum. If I open it up, then I am almost guaranteed to bring back all the problems I resolved by having a closed forum. I mean, I do understand how frustrating it can be, but I don't want my forum to be overrun with trolls again.

Comment

• Ati2
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 3.8.x

Right now, I have peace on my forum. If I open it up, then I am almost guaranteed to bring back all the problems I resolved by having a closed forum. I mean, I do understand how frustrating it can be, but I don't want my forum to be overrun with trolls again.
                  If this is what you want, and this works for you, then I see no reason to change anthing.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ati2
                    If this is what you want, and this works for you, then I see no reason to change anthing.
                    Exactly. If your forum is popular and heading the right direction, then keep it the way it is. If a troll really wanted to contact someone, they will just register so I don't see how its fixing anything.

What you could do is disable profile viewing and user online viewing for guests to decrease the chances of these trolls contacting lots of your members instead of not allowing them to browse at all. You can also hide their user name from posts (for guests) etc (ask in the "How do I" forum).
                    Last edited by ---MAD---; Thu 16 Aug '07, 7:18am.

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

I typically do not bother with boards that do not at least let me see the content, but if you have a valid reason for doing so, then go for it. Some people, however, simply close off their board just because they can, and that is very annoying.
                      Forums

Comment

• pank
                        • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Dean C
                        Agree 100%... If I can't see what I am registering for why would I register?
                        Bob- (pank)
                        pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

Don't let trolls dictate and force you into closing your site to guests, because your not doing yourself any favours really. By forcing guests to register to see your forums, your also stopping search engines from indexing content also.

Which is not a good thing to do.

Comment

• admin825
                            • Jul 2007

Actually my site is being indexed by search engines and I am currently having people find my site via search engines. I realize I would increase my visibility in search engines by having my forum open to visitors, however, having it closed does not mean it is not being indexed.

Comment

• RedTyger
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 3.8.x

True, but it will vastly shrink your listings to very little.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎