Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening my board to the public

For the last year, my forums have been only open to members of Epinions.com

Today, we are changing that, and allowing non-Epinions members to join and particpate in the general forums. A membership at Epinions will still be required to enter the Epinions related forums.

Does anyone have advice on things I should know about running a public board? We have a very active debate forum, book and movie discussion forums, and more.

I welcome anyone who cares to join, and any suggestions that you might have for improving things.

http://www.epinionforums.com

Amy
    http://www.eaforums.com

Hi Amy,

Congrats and best wishes. My thoughts may not be suitable for all Communities. It depends on your focus and what kind of culture you want.

1) Ban all free emails addresses and free ISPs and free site POP accounts <wew>
    2) Require registration before they can post
    3) Develop procedures for abuse and communicate that to your members before they join. You will have abuse
    4) Get more Mods even before your trafic warrants it.

Good luck
    Have a great day :)
    http://www.StopScum.com

Comment

1) Ban all free emails addresses and free ISPs and free site POP accounts <wew>
      Steve,

I have 400+ members using hotmail accounts, if I ban the use of hotmail (free emailing address) will those people be effected?

Comment

He was making a suggestion. I personally haven't banned the free email providers. It would make my job easier but it isn't something that I have followed through with. Not everyone will have to ban these types of emails.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I personally wouldn't ban free e-mail accounts. A few of my friends even use free e-mail accounts, for various reasons.

Comment

I guess it would depend on the nature and size of your forum. I can't ban them on mine because, as a breastfeeding site, I have a lot of stay-at-home moms who use the free accounts to have their own address while their husbands get the account that comes with their ISP.

The other suggestions! Definitely! Require registration will protect you somewhat. More mods before needed will keep you sane (trust me, I know!)

And yes, there will be abuse. Definitely think ahead and make plans for what is allowed and not allowed and how you will deal with it. I didn't think ahead on that one and have ended up dealing with the extra problems caused when I tried to stop abuse because they "Didn't know" You'd think people could behave like adults to begin with, but you'd be surprised!
            Free World Leader of the Internationally Renowned Militant Breastfeeding Cult.
            Are you a Proud Member?
            http://www.MilitantBreastfeedingCult.com/

Comment

Is Epinions still around? I thought they went under (or was that Themestream?)

Comment

That was Themestream. Epinions still hangs in there.
                Free World Leader of the Internationally Renowned Militant Breastfeeding Cult.
                Are you a Proud Member?
                http://www.MilitantBreastfeedingCult.com/

Comment

Just my way/suggestion and their are at least 2 ways to do everything

1) In Admin > Change Options > Banning Options > set to YES Allow user to keep banned email and your current members who are using free email accounts and such are not effected by your new policy. I must have about 500 of these myself.

After 10 months and a few thousand "regisatrations" or attempted I can say without the least bit of hesitation and lots of "proof" that this feature has significantly reduced abuse for me and I'm very happy with my growth rate and quality.

Their are some grey areas in this policy and other details but for security reasons I would prefer not to discuss those in a public Forum. Let's just say that I have thousand of little pieces of imformation and spend time with this procedure The idea came from a member when I had to close my bussiest Forum down for 2 weeks to prove my point, let the Community settle down, and figure out the next logical step. This procedure also acts as a deterant for present members in good standing since they know that getting back in is going to require a real email address and other things will be checked. Although Iv'e never measured this, I have recieved email from others telling me either why they hate it or why they like it.

It certainly is not for everyone so please excuse me if my original post infered otherwise. Good luck to all.
                  Have a great day :)
                  http://www.StopScum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zorg

Steve,

I have 400+ members using hotmail accounts, if I ban the use of hotmail (free emailing address) will those people be effected?
                    you can choose whether existing members will be affected via the admin panel - edit options

i have around 470 free email providers listed in my ban box
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X