Why VB not UBB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why VB not UBB?

money is no object, and I was wondering why I should get VB instead of UBB. I am split between the two.

Here's how to decide.

Step 1) Get a stopwatch.

Step 2) Search for 'UBB' in all forums here, as soon as you submit the form start the stopwatch.

Step 3) Search for 'vBulletin' in all forums at the support boards on Infopop.com, as soon as you submit the form start the stopwatch.

Step 4) Compare the times

Step 5) Read the threads returned.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
      Here's how to decide.

Step 1) Get a stopwatch.

Step 2) Search for 'UBB' in all forums here, as soon as you submit the form start the stopwatch.

Step 3) Search for 'vBulletin' in all forums at the support boards on Infopop.com, as soon as you submit the form start the stopwatch.

Step 4) Compare the times

Step 5) Read the threads returned.
      LOL!!!VERY FUNNY!!!
      No,theres a simple reason:
      VBulletin is the best board avaible.ANd many free boards are better than UBB:
      BurningBoard,iKOnboard,Yabb...

Comment

vB is fast, way faster.
        vB has many more features, which come in the box. with ubb you gotta find hacks to install, and hacking UBB is a pain.
        vB offers much more administrative control than vB
        vB has nicer developers and moderators than InfoPop. Trust me I know, I've dealt with em first hand.
        vB looks cooler.
        vb IS COOLER!

Last edited by Kier; Wed 25 Jul '01, 7:31pm.
        forums: pcfx.cc
        gallery: here

Comment

I've had to make the same decision a while ago.
          I'm glad I chose vB
          In addition to everything that has already been said,
          I doubt UBB could handle 900+ forums.
          And imagine how long it would take UBB to search 900+ forums...... couple of days?
          Webmaster
          http://www.AutomotiveForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowX
            ANd many free boards are better than UBB:
            BurningBoard,iKOnboard,Yabb...
            UBB deserves SOME credit. It is a DECENT board for some people, and while there is no doubt it is inferior to vB, those free ones aren't nearly as good as UBB.

(And secondly, why do you people continue to make vB vs. UBB threads? Sheesh!)
            Marc James
            Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
            Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

Personally I think Ikonboard is better than UBB.

Anyway yeah, this has been covered literally dozens of times.

Comment

950,000+ posts and still going strong on my board -- need I say more?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                  Actually, that won't work coz of "UBB" just being a three-letter word ... I think VB's search feature requires at least four-letter words
                  OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                  "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

It doesn't, but this particular board only indexes words with over 3 characters for space and performance. It can be changed.

But yeah you'd have to search for Ultimate or something.

Comment

Please make sure this thread doesn't deteriorate into yet another Infopop-bashing session. This is not the place for that. I've already edited one post that could have resulted in legal action from Infopop against the poster and the administrators of this board.

Comment

Actualy, thats an admin option
                        Bike Forums.net

Comment

Originally posted by mjames

UBB deserves SOME credit. It is a DECENT board for some people, and while there is no doubt it is inferior to vB, those free ones aren't nearly as good as UBB.

(And secondly, why do you people continue to make vB vs. UBB threads? Sheesh!)
                          WHAT?!DOWNLOAD THE BURNINGBOARD(the url is down,maybe jelsoft have take some action )AND YOU'LL SEE:
                          It is NEARLY(wait for the final and it is better)as good as vbulletin!!!And it is free.I love vbulletin,but why buy when I can get it LEGALLY free?It is much better than UBB!!!Look at it:
                          UBB is and Oldie!

Comment

What is the burning Board? is it a illegal copy of the board? is there a link?

Comment

ZoQ

I don't have enough info yet. New Board? Huge BB using another script? Your technical expertise? Dedicated or virtual? Growth plans?

Both products have their respective strenghts and weeknesses just like any script. To think otherwise is frankly myopic and somewhat unfair to your question. This is your thread so you deserve a responce. Each product has a somewhat different webmaster profile and board if you looked at the typical owner.

The typical vB Board is medium to huge with above average technical expertise to make things hum. UBB is the Board for all seasons Typically small to medium. My grandmother could run it because it does not have nearly as many features as vB. However, features in a script don't build Community. They both have their place in the marketplace.

Both products are capabable of building thriving Communities and their are plenty of them around.

I chose to migrate from UBB to vB because the Perl version no longer suited my needs for speed and a UI which a member could tweak to suit their needs plus some security controls that UBB did not have. OpenTopic was to exspensive for me. I looked a few years out and saw what I needed and what my budget could offord. I'm glad I did move to vB. Not so much for what I think or "you" may think. Thats really a non event. Because my Members love my new vB. Thats what matters most.

My choice may not be what you should do Good luck.
                              Have a great day :)
                              http://www.StopScum.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X