• Show
Clear All

• nuno
    replied
    work

Leave a comment:

• kyle
    replied
    JenniferS hit the nail deed center when you seed "archiving knowledge on the web" That's exactly how more people should look at this. VB forums are more then just a message board their a tool if used right.

Leave a comment:

• JenniferS
    replied
    i love vBulletin

i paid for my license out of pocket, with no intention of ever doing advertising on my site. i wanted a long-term solution for archiving knowledge on the web. the community aspects are equally important. I want the knowledge to be extensible. A living book.

Leave a comment:

• Susan
    replied
    If you paid the $160 license, you can run a vb on your site as long as you want. Yearly fees are required (~$30 a year at this time) for accessing the members area for updates. If you paid for the $85 license, you can only run the software for one year and have access to the members area for that year. After that time, you either need to remove and destroy your copy of VB or pay for another license.

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    I think its $160 for an owned license, which means you can run it forever. If you got a year license, then I presume you should remove vB from your server... and I am guessing, delete all local copies as well

Leave a comment:

• TheComputerGuy
    replied
    Quick question if your license runs out in a year, then does that mean you go to take the board down?

so it will be 160 every year?

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    I paid by downloading a warez version. No no... actually I paid with counterfeit money. John couldn't tell the dough was fake because I passed it to him in the darkness of that strip club down by the beach.

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    I pay the running fees (hosting) myself with funding from sponsors or advertisements. I managed to get a good deal with KDA webservice, got their "Birthday Special" which is £20 per month for 200mb space, 5 mySQL db's and 10GB transfer.

However, I've also wondering how I am going to fund this if the site starts getting lots of concurrent people online and I have to move to a dedicated server. We'll see how it goes

Leave a comment:

• The_Sisko
    replied
    I paid out of my own pocket, we spend ~$250 on my site a month, and have advertising revenue, which nearly ~$250. So we a by plus - minus - zero.

Leave a comment:

• JamesUS
    replied
    My site makes around $50/month from advertising, so it is funded primarily from that.
    It's actually running off a dedicated server (not because it needs one!) because some other sites I run need one and my forums seemed ideal to put on to test the server (PIII 750, 256Mb RAM)

Leave a comment:

• mjames
    replied
    Well, my vB hasn't required its own server yet, so I still use it on my main site account which is only $10/month from HostRocket. I have acquired the domain for when it does need my own separate server for it.

Leave a comment:

• Tolitz
    replied
    From my own pocket, too ... I have just gotten to the end of my UBB license last May and I thought "should I pay $125 to renew my UBB license or should I just splurge on VB2 for $160?"

Since I usually spent around $100-$200 a month on games and movies, I decided to just purchase something that will last much longer ... and something I can actually keep using day-after-day ...

I spend around $200 a month on all the sites I create and maintain ... I thought it would only be proper to give one of them something worth maintaining

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    i started off from savings from working to start my sites in 1999 then in 2000 started using advertising revenues to cover costs and buy vBulletin and all the other goodies i.e. imagefolio, anaconda amazon search deluxe etc

now it's down to partial advertising revenues, donations by members and a small hosting biz i just started targetting my sites' visitors/members mainly

Leave a comment:

• Joe
    replied
    I paid out of my own pocket, my spend ~$200 on my site a month, and have no advertising revenue at this time, hopefully that will soon change!

You can always lease vB for a year, only $.24 a day!

Leave a comment:

• LanciaStratos
    replied
    I'm serious. Did you raise money through advertising, just pay out of your own pocket, or ask your members for donations?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X