How did you pay for vBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you pay for vBulletin?

I'm curious...I have a hard time simply covering my hosting charges (1GB/day of traffic). How did so many of you raise the money to pay for the vB license?

put it on a credit card
    Bike Forums.net

Comment

I saved 5 grand from working part time at McDonalds for just over a year while I was in high school. haha!

Comment

Wait, vBulletin isn't freeware?

-jim

Comment

Come on Jim..
          Of course its freeware, thought I saw the gpl.txt in the zip

Hey, just email Paul Iracy at [email protected], he's cool, he'll hook ya up with the latest version :P

Comment

I'm serious. Did you raise money through advertising, just pay out of your own pocket, or ask your members for donations?

Comment

I paid out of my own pocket, my spend ~$200 on my site a month, and have no advertising revenue at this time, hopefully that will soon change!

You can always lease vB for a year, only $.24 a day!
              Bike Forums.net

Comment

i started off from savings from working to start my sites in 1999 then in 2000 started using advertising revenues to cover costs and buy vBulletin and all the other goodies i.e. imagefolio, anaconda amazon search deluxe etc

now it's down to partial advertising revenues, donations by members and a small hosting biz i just started targetting my sites' visitors/members mainly
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

From my own pocket, too ... I have just gotten to the end of my UBB license last May and I thought "should I pay $125 to renew my UBB license or should I just splurge on VB2 for $160?"

Since I usually spent around $100-$200 a month on games and movies, I decided to just purchase something that will last much longer ... and something I can actually keep using day-after-day ...

I spend around $200 a month on all the sites I create and maintain ... I thought it would only be proper to give one of them something worth maintaining
                  OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                  "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Well, my vB hasn't required its own server yet, so I still use it on my main site account which is only $10/month from HostRocket. I have acquired the domain for when it does need my own separate server for it.
                    Marc James
                    Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                    Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

My site makes around $50/month from advertising, so it is funded primarily from that.
                      It's actually running off a dedicated server (not because it needs one!) because some other sites I run need one and my forums seemed ideal to put on to test the server (PIII 750, 256Mb RAM)

Comment

I paid out of my own pocket, we spend ~$250 on my site a month, and have advertising revenue, which nearly ~$250. So we a by plus - minus - zero.
                        The Sisko
                        SciFi-Forum.de

Comment

I pay the running fees (hosting) myself with funding from sponsors or advertisements. I managed to get a good deal with KDA webservice, got their "Birthday Special" which is £20 per month for 200mb space, 5 mySQL db's and 10GB transfer.

However, I've also wondering how I am going to fund this if the site starts getting lots of concurrent people online and I have to move to a dedicated server. We'll see how it goes
                          HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                          -
                          Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

I paid by downloading a warez version. No no... actually I paid with counterfeit money. John couldn't tell the dough was fake because I passed it to him in the darkness of that strip club down by the beach.
                            Well, there it is.
                            - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Quick question if your license runs out in a year, then does that mean you go to take the board down?

so it will be 160 every year?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X