vB suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB suicide

I'm sure other vb's have been through this.

An active dear member in my forum took their own life a while back.

Me and mods are unsure about what to do with that member's posts and profile. If the meber should be deleted and they will appear as guest, or leave their posts as is, but implement a "hiding" mechanism in the members list for dead members.

To do such a hack is quite easy. I'm just interested in fellow vb op's opinions on how they handle such matters in their forums?

My own view is to leave things as is, death is a fact of life, why hide memories of loved ones (or anyone), just because they died! But not many share my view.

What do you think?
    vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Actually I did not even considered this happening...but why not acknowledege their life...I would leave it up there if it was like at this board...because we would like to do research about others you know

Comment

Why not create a new user group called "Deceased" and have all posting rights cancelled (for obvious reasons) while still making their posts visible. You can probably put in a user status like "Deceased" or "Departed this life" in purple or other coloring to mark that the member is no longer in the world of the living.

Dunno if this post will appear insensitive or not, but I'm just giving a suggestion
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

If you're not getting any complaints, I think the most sensitive thing would be to leave everything as is.

If you are getting complaints, I would leave it up to your regulars to come to a conscensous to the proper course of action as I am sure that anyone with interest will make their views known.

Comment

There was a forum member of mine who died of a heart attack (at age 31!), and I just left everything as is. I mean, what else can you do?

-jim

Comment

One of my moderators died this spring also, he was only 16. I too left all his posts up. I left his user text as moderator.
            Bike Forums.net

Comment

If you want to quickly hide all posts by a particular member, you can use this query:
              Code:
              UPDATE post SET visible=0 WHERE userid=[i]XXX[/i]
              (where XXX is the userid of the member in question)

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
                If you want to quickly hide all posts by a particular member, you can use this query:
                Code:
                UPDATE post SET visible=0 WHERE userid=[i]XXX[/i]
                (where XXX is the userid of the member in question)
                Hmmm, undocumented vB!

Thanks for sharing everyone. No one was really complaining, they were mostly hurt, and not so sure what they really want.

I'm wondering if it's due to suicide per se, and not just the common discomfort of dealing with death.

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
                  Why not create a new user group called "Deceased" and have all posting rights cancelled (for obvious reasons) while still making their posts visible. You can probably put in a user status like "Deceased" or "Departed this life" in purple or other coloring to mark that the member is no longer in the world of the living.

Dunno if this post will appear insensitive or not, but I'm just giving a suggestion
                  Tolitz, not insensitive at all. I never considered this option, but it may help.

Comment

Something like this happened early on in our forum's life, before we had the ability to easily create custom titles for users () I would have changed this user's title to "Gone But Not Forgotten" or something to that effect...
                    Steve

F150online Forums - 92,000 users strong and growing!
                    Ownersite.com - comprehensive preventive maintenance reminder & expense tracking system for the conscientious vehicle owner.

Comment

After reading the main post, the ideas I was having were addressed by Tolitz, interesting. I have never really thought of this either, but it is something that happens, and us admin's/mod's cannot stop it.

It is said news to hear someone dying of whatever causes or reasons, and it kind of a tough call of what to do...

Comment

Gosh,

I haden't thought of this issue and have no first hand experience. Even after 3 years. It's up to you but if it were me, well I'm just not sure but perhaps think about this.

You need to do what your "heart" tells you. Put a black border around the Avatar. If you need help just PM me. Leave all the posts up and the member title the same as it was prior to death.

You start a thread and speak from your heart. Let the Community continue to "bond" in the thread and let it run forever. Sticky for perhaps 30 days. It's a given that you would (Im sure you would) exspress your "loss" and send your best wishes and condolences to family and friends.

Thanks for raising the issue.
                        Have a great day :)
                        http://www.StopScum.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X