Moving to a 64bit CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    But I still think it has stability issues myself. I've yet to talk to one person who I personally know, who has not had issues with Vista and regretted buying a PC with Vista installed, and would sooner go back to XP.
    I won't go back to XP myself. I really like Vista. However its a brand new PC with all Vista certified hardware. I wouldn't install Vista on anything but a new PC with at least 2 GB of RAM. Of course, I have always recommended that you upgrade Windows with new hardware and not upgrade an existing machine.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      I won't go back to XP myself. I really like Vista. However its a brand new PC with all Vista certified hardware. I wouldn't install Vista on anything but a new PC with at least 2 GB of RAM. Of course, I have always recommended that you upgrade Windows with new hardware and not upgrade an existing machine.
      Yeah, machines built for Vista is fine. And I do agree about the 2gig memory also. Don't get me wrong, I do like Vista, it just doesn't like me!

Comment

The only problem I have, and it's a problem with the PC maker selling me something it wan't, is that I bought a "Vista ready" machine in December pre-loaded with XP x64 with the full intent of upgrading to Vista when it was released. Upon arrival of my Vista upgrade discs from the mfg., I come to find there is no "upgrade" path from XP x64 to Vista...you have to flatten the drive and install Vista standalone...really pisses me off that I have a machine I have been using for 6 months with all my data and software and a set of Vista upgrade discs that are of no use to me...I will never, ever buy another Dell machine again as long as I live. All they were willing to do for me was a $200 credit
        RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

Yeah, I bought a HP Laptop (against my better judgement).

Anyway, this has a Vista Ready sticker on it. So a few weeks ago I decided to visit HP site for Vista drivers, first thing I see is it needs a Bois update to run it correctly according to there site. That was done first, then I downloaded there vista drivers for my exact model.

But on installing some of the drivers, there picked up by Vista as not installing correctly each time I install them. I've done this many times now from a clean re-format and tried many different ways also. The on-screen volume display when you press keys does not work under vista after you install the software driver for it, thats a sucker as you don't know what your volume is set too etc.

Basicly it's been a nightmare from start to finish. There have been days when I could have thrown this laptop out the window and said good riddens, or sold it for a song. Like you, I would never ever buy another HP machine again. And to top it off, even though the laptop comes with XP Media Centre installed via there boot disks. If you use an original MS Media Center disk, it will not pickup the hardisk to do a clean install of Media Center. Your forced to use there boot disks that install a ton of 3rd party crap. The only way it will pickup the HD which I found out the hardway, is to go into the bois and disable SATA for the HD disk. That slows it down, but it lets the MS Media Centre disk detect the HD to do a clean install, but once installed, if you try to re-enable the SATA. The laptop just won't boot to windows.

Now how crazy is that, when it came with Media Center installed using there boot disks with sata enabled.

Also, you have the option to delete the backup recovery partition to claim that space back. But even after you do that, on the bootup it still displays the F11 key, that you click to restore a backup from that partition that is not there anymore if you remove it. Basicly HP Laptops might look the buisness, but there more trouble than there worth.
          Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 17 Jul '07, 5:46pm.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
            Isn't OSX already 64bit? I know the PPC version of Tiger is true 64bit and all 32bit software runs in emulation.
            Did they have to change to x86/64 when they went with Intel?
            Tiger only had 64-bit support at the Unix level, Leopard brings it all the way up to the Carbon/Cocoa APIs.
            Forums

Comment

Got the CPU and Motherboard yesterday and installed normal XP Pro on it and it's working like a charm Now to find a video card...

Comment

what CPU did you buy Danny and how much. I have an Athlon X2 3600 you could have bought of me if you live in the UK for £50, I upgraded to the FX a few weeks ago.

Comment

It's Dan not Danny (Very picky about this as not to be confused with Danny) I got an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ and a Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 with a fan for $123.07 (USD) including shipping and rush order.

Comment

oh well then, thats cheap enough. The X2 I have then must has a certain name for the chip, as when I bought it, there were a few different names for the chipset on them. I got the most expensive one. The chip cost me £400 about 9 months ago.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice your chip above posted is not actually an X2 chip, thought it seemed cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
                      Isn't OSX already 64bit? I know the PPC version of Tiger is true 64bit and all 32bit software runs in emulation.
                      Did they have to change to x86/64 when they went with Intel?
                      Nope. The Unix core of 10.4 is 64bit but all the eye candy (GUI elements etc) are 32bit. When Leopard is released everything will be 64bit.

Edit : Gah, I should read the whole thread before replying.

Comment

10.5 is 64bit native, build from the ground up

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X