Moving to a 64bit CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to a 64bit CPU

I'm going to be moving to a 64 bit CPU (Athlon 64 3800+) should I stick with the 32bit Windows or move to 64bit? Ideas? Suggestions?

Why buy a 64 bit system to keep a 32 bit o/s?

Comment

I've heard of some real nasty issues with it that's why I'm asking

Comment

Ive seen a lot of reviews that are all negative. If it was me, id wait awhile. Id also wait on the hardware since by the time they improve the o/s you'll have better hardware options.

I just did a google search and came up with the same answer. Wait a bit on both!

Comment

Not happening because my computer died yesterday and I ordered new equipment =p

Comment

Please tell me you mean an X2 3800 and not a AMD 64 3800

Comment

If you where actually on on AIM I'd tell you more =p

Comment

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/

I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

But I can't go gentoo photoshop doesn't work too well nor does WoW

I do <3 Gentoo my older pc (a 400mhz system) runs it. Portage is 110% win.

Comment

I'd actually suggest staying with a 32 bit OS unless you are going to upgrade all your software as well. This is where most issues come in for people. I am using Windows Vista 32-bit on my 64-bit dual core processor with no problems. I have a lot of older software that works and I don't want to upgrade it as well.
                    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 16 Jul '07, 4:12pm. Reason: clarification of answer.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      I'd actually suggest staying with a 32 bit processor unless you are going to upgrade all your software as well. This is where most issues come in for people. I am using Windows Vista 32-bit on my 64-bit dual core processor with no problems. I have a lot of older software that works and I don't want to upgrade it as well.
                      Noob question: Whats the difference between 32 bit os and 64 bit os? and whats the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit for a processor?

Thanks

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                          Noob question: Whats the difference between 32 bit os and 64 bit os? and whats the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit for a processor?

Thanks

The main difference as pointed out in the Wiki entry is addressing and therefore memory allocation.

In a 32-bit processor, you are limited to 4 bytes of 8 bits each for memory allocation. Or 32-bits. Each bit can be on or off at any given time and that is how computers reference information, billions of little switches turning on and off in combinations. This gives you 2^32 addresses or 4,294,967,296 bit locations. This is where the 4 GB memory limitation comes in for Windows XP and other 32 bit operating systems. This is also applied to datastreams which are 4 bytes or 32-bits wide. It also affects how information is retrieved and stored. An integer in a 32-bit system takes up 4 bytes of space, again the 2^32 number can be stored there. It is however divided in half-1 for positive and negative numbers. The -1 is for 0 which is neither positive or negative but needs to be accounted for. There are some workarounds to this. Windows XP uses them in its drive addressing. Which is where you have a double-address location. Basically a 4-byte number that points to a 4-byte number to address large amounts of space.

In a 64-bit processors, you are limited to 8 bytes or 2^64 which is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bit locations. As you can see a much larger address space, memory and storage spaces.

The issues come into play when programs are compiled for a particular memory allocation and given something bigger. Overflows aren't accounted for properly, number ranges are too complex for the math modules to handle, etc...

Technically, in the best case scenario, you want your OS and software to be compiled for your processor. e.g. 64-bit software with a 64-bit processor. The problem is that we're in a transition stage here. A lot of processors available are not true 64-bit processors or are married to a 32-bit architecture. This is because we are still in a transition phase with the technology. So you have to take the lowest common demoninator into account and cater for it. If you have all 64-bit hardware and all 64-bit software then you want a true 64-bit processor. If you are using commonly available stuff and actually running a 64/32 bit hybrid machine then 32-bit software is probably the best for right now.

You can use a 64-bit OS on today's hardware but it will run your 32-bit software in an emulation mode which is slower and more prone to errors than native running. This is why people are having problems right now. The OS has too many throttles in place to run properly. We have seen this historically when we switched from 4-bit to 8-bit to 16-bit to 32-bit and now to 64-bit. In 5-10 years, we'll go through it again when we switch to 128-bit processing (already in place in mainstream graphics processors).
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Ah so you it's only good to use 64 bit system/software/processor when you have 4gb or more ram?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I'm going to be moving to a 64 bit CPU (Athlon 64 3800+) should I stick with the 32bit Windows or move to 64bit? Ideas? Suggestions?
                              Depends on what you will need for application support...
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X