Microsoft Moves Coders to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Moves Coders to Canada

Vancouver, British Columbia office will house international workers caught in immigration tangle.

Microsoft Corp. will open a software development office in Vancouver, Canada, later this year, in part as a way to retain talented workers who can't stay in the U.S. because of immigration laws.

Software developers from around the world will staff the center, which will allow Microsoft to keep skilled workers who are affected by U.S. immigration issues, the company said in a statement Thursday.

Microsoft, along with other high-tech companies, has been a vocal supporter of legislation that would increase the number of foreign workers allowed to stay in the U.S. Proposed amendments to the current foreign worker regulations were part of a larger controversial immigration bill that stalled in the U.S. Congress last week.

Without new regulations, companies across the country are competing for 65,000 H-1B visas issued each year.

"This is especially a problem for Microsoft because they're so big and doing so much hiring," said Susannah Malarkey, executive director of the Washington Technology Alliance, an association of companies promoting education and an entrepreneurial environment in the state. "If you can't use visas to bring people in, you have to take the jobs to where the people are," she noted.

Companies like Microsoft can "either create a worksite in the country of origin of these people or lose out on them altogether," she said.

Read More
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

I would of thought if Microsoft needs all these skilled techies, why not create an incentive package for colleges & universities i.e. 'If you work for us, we will pay for all finacial job related school dept' or build a school within one of thier locations.

Comment

I also wonder if it's to reduce health care costs to the company.
      Doesn't Microsoft already have offices all around the world?
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
        Doesn't Microsoft already have offices all around the world?
        Yes. I once applied for a programming position in their games development department but couldn't move to Montreal.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          Yes. I once applied for a programming position in their games development department but couldn't move to Montreal.
          Only been to canada twice but I think it would have been worth the move!

Comment

Canada is a very nice place although gets very cold :P.

Comment

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
              Depends where you go. The west coast gets a very light winter.

Comment

Originally posted by bboarddotcom View Post
                Only been to canada twice but I think it would have been worth the move!

Considering I hate snow, I doubt it. The best snow and ice is on the mountains where I can see it but don't have to deal with it or touch it. Though there were other reasons for not being able to move as well. Family being a big part of it.

Vancouver would be different than Montreal though. I have thought about moving to the Seattle area before so this wouldn't be any different. Though I would need a visa to work in Canada.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I have no current plans on relocating to Vancouver myself, but this jump does help me out alot...
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    Considering I hate snow, I doubt it. The best snow and ice is on the mountains where I can see it but don't have to deal with it or touch it.
                    I'll second that; but I'm already here :P

It's interesting to see Micorsoft coming over; I wonder if they'll be coming to my university to dig for fresh new meat to join their team :P
                    Best Regards,
                    Andy Huang

Comment

Cool news

Comment

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                        Some bits of it do, Vancouver is an amazing place to be, I golf all year round here for example.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          Some bits of it do, Vancouver is an amazing place to be, I golf all year round here for example.
                          With a rain jacket .

I never actually once went to Vancouver and the closest I got was Washington, Mt Vernon.. Odd thou, cause I went to almost every center city in each of the Provinces and Territories in Canada. I was suppose to work on the constructing Olyimpic grounds, but the rent prices was outrageous high, except the shanty town district.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
                            With a rain jacket .
                            Born in Ireland and spent most of my life in England, I'm used to that
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
                              I'll second that; but I'm already here :P

It's interesting to see Micorsoft coming over; I wonder if they'll be coming to my university to dig for fresh new meat to join their team :P
                              Nice stuff.. Might be good news for me too. I'm in Van too, and jobs would be great.. well for me in 2 yrs..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X