Computer keeps crashing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help guys.

It's on my laptop, on which I never play games. No blue screen of death or anything. It just turns off. Just like that. No warning, no nothing.

It does seem quite hot a lot of the time and is fairly noisy, but then again it always has been and I never used to get the problem.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Creepshow View Post

It's on my laptop, on which I never play games. No blue screen of death or anything. It just turns off. Just like that. No warning, no nothing.

It does seem quite hot a lot of the time and is fairly noisy, but then again it always has been and I never used to get the problem.
      Not to ask a stupid question but does this happen when its plugged in or just while its on the battery? Could be a fan problem. How old is it and what brand and model?

Comment

It sounds a little like a problem I was having before when I decided like a fool, to ask this PC shop near me to build me a custom PC to my specs.

The bottom line was, they didn't put a powerful enough PSU in the tower to cope. And the PC would just trip out and shut down. But this was happening the most when playing games. We thought it was the graphics cards at first getting over heated (not enough ventilation in the tower, then we thought it was the CPU overheating. But in the end it was the PSU that was tripping out. Becuase it didn't have enough watts to cope with the Sli graphics and 4 hardrives in the case. It was overheating and just shutting down without a blue screen or anything.

And it was an Alienware one too, but it was only 550 watt. And it needed about 750 watt PSU, and a decent one at that. Thats fixed the problem.
        Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 8 Jul '07, 6:06am.

Comment

Originally posted by Creepshow View Post

Unless you are running it off of AC "battery only", i would say it is definately heat related.
          PSU or GPU....
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Everyone, thanks a lot for the help. It seems it WAS in fact heat-related as most of you suggested.

I've moved the laptop to a cooler area and haven't had the problem since. In fact it's a whole 25 degrees cooler now.

So it seems to all be sorted out.

Thanks!
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

maybe you should consider looking on-line for instructions on taking the laptop apart, it may need a really good clean. The heat-sink and fan might need a good cleaning out from rubbish gathered. That might be why its started to happen now, and it will just get worse (even in the shade) if left without attention.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                maybe you should consider looking on-line for instructions on taking the laptop apart, it may need a really good clean. The heat-sink and fan might need a good cleaning out from rubbish gathered. That might be why its started to happen now, and it will just get worse (even in the shade) if left without attention.
                Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly consider it.

Comment

They have "Chiller Pads" available as well. These are pads you set your laptop on with external fans to cool the bottom of your computer.

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=AWE01US
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

yeah, why do most laptops, including two I've owned always have the fans blowing air out from the underneath. When most of the time you have the laptop situated on your legs typing, which means your blocking the flow of air. Seems a bad design really to put the fan there.

Comment

Don't know... My laptop has the fan on the side.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X