This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    Yeah, we'll just wait for IB to wake up and make a statement like you say.
    It's the weekend and it has been just a few days since this was announced. Like some others, I'm getting annoyed coming here to see updates only to see every other post by you. I'm sure there will be more info forthcoming when the powers that be see fit...maybe you should give it a rest?
    RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

• why do you, your never offline

Comment

• Please refrain from personally attacking other users. Despite the acquisition of IB our forum rules haven't changed

Comment

• Re:

Okay so everyone keeps asking the same questions over and over and over and over..... Etc...

Asking for answers here is useless. You need to be asking the owners which is no longer Jelsoft. No offense guys, but there is no way even you can know for sure what the future brings. You no longer own it and no longer have much of a say. Sure, VB might stay the same for some time and then change. What normal company would make quick changes? Changes are definite for the future. Obviously. Who would buy a company just to leave it the same? The PR here is great but unreliable. You all need to wait and see what IB says and does.

I keep reading in so many places that now IB owns the very software that their competitors use. As said before in this thread, it seems like a microsoft deal.

This is not for Jelsoft but for the people at IB... If you decide to encrypt the software/code, you will have a ton of customers drop you the same day and many more to follow. Not all hosts allow self executing scripts (encryption scripts) which makes for useless software on a large scale. Some have stated that it is not planned but that does not mean it will not happen. If your relying on mods and hacks as the reason it will not be encrypted, go check out vb.org. A lot of the coders are ready to leave as it is.

We do not mind paying the extra $30.00 a year for the members area even though we are supposed to have owned software which should be a one time fee. Upgrades should not be extra for many reasons. Even microsoft provides free upgrades! Most of us did not mind paying this fee simply because we support not only this software but also those who develop and maintain it. If that price goes up, goodbye VB!

Most of us want definite answers as to the direction your going to take. Why? Simply because those who have large boards cannot just simply move to different software and newer customers I think want to know if there going to have future headaches and wasted money. I would think that IB should have an official notice or release as we are now their customers. No news is not always good news!

As the VB team keeps saying that things are staying the same.. I question for how long. I wouldnt count on it being long term. At least until IB tells us something directly.

Just my thoughts, take them or leave them. I agree with everyone else, just wait for IB to release something.

Edit: Just a quick note, I love the answers on privacy and third parties. IB is not a third party. Go look up the laws.
          Last edited by dkon26; Sat 7 Jul '07, 6:15pm.

Comment

• I predict that one change will be adding an "Enterprise" license for $1,000.00 or more. When a company is looking for a forum solution for their web site they will see the high price tag and may assume that the Enterprise license will offer a better service compared to the inexpensive licenses.
            Last edited by harmor; Sat 7 Jul '07, 6:30pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Floris View Post
              Please refrain from personally attacking other users. Despite the acquisition of IB our forum rules haven't changed
              He edit his thread Floris, I wasn't attacking him. That was a reply to something he posted, and then thought better of it and completely edited it out.

Comment

• Re:

I have no problem with bigger companies paying a little extra. They can afford it since they rip us off daily. I just really hope things do stay the same for us normal paying customers.

I read about the outsourcing in this thread and how some think its racist for us not to agree with it. How many of you have lost your jobs because of it or know someone who has? Lets start a poll... My cousin works for a big time internet company who has "laid off" many workers for cheaper labor. Im all for equality but lets get real. Once the masses in your country lose their jobs, have no way to pay bills or get stuck in a crappy little job with degrees, come back and tell me you do not agree.

Comment

• Why are some people threatening to leave vBulletin if they raise the price? I doubt anyone will "drop vBulletin like a rock" as some of you have out it. Take some products you buy for example. When soda was raised to $1.29 for a 20 oz. how many of you went to Faygo or another cheaper brand? When candy bars went up from 50 cents to 75 cents how many of you bought the off-brand instead?

Comment

• LOL ! Very true harmor. Raise the price or not, I wouldn't move to another forum script. vB is the best there is, and now with more resources and $ at their disposal, it'll only get better.

I'm here to stay
                    Peggy
                    ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                      He edit his thread Floris, I wasn't attacking him. That was a reply to something he posted, and then thought better of it and completely edited it out.
                      yeah, I'm sorry MRGTB, you have as much right as anyone to express your concerns without getting a hard time for it...long day and I apologize
                      RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

• Originally posted by harmor View Post
                        Why are some people threatening to leave vBulletin if they raise the price? I doubt anyone will "drop vBulletin like a rock" as some of you have out it. Take some products you buy for example. When soda was raised to $1.29 for a 20 oz. how many of you went to Faygo or another cheaper brand? When candy bars went up from 50 cents to 75 cents how many of you bought the off-brand instead?
                        I dont mind the owned license fee going up a little but not the members access fee. I can understand some people if lets say the price now is 160 and it goes up to 300.. Then I can understand why people would be annoyed. The members access fee is just profit.

Prices go up, thats just common sense, but within reasonable amounts and in reasonable areas. I stick to what I said before, lets just wait and see. This could be a great thing or a disaster.

Comment

• I posted this to my blog here at vBulletin the other day...

But I think it warrents posting here as well. I would love to hear your thoughts.

I loged onto vBulletin.org last night and saw the news that vBulletin has been sold to another company.

In reading the news I could not tell you if the new was good or not.

To me vBulletin is kind of at a stand still at the moment, sure they got the problem tracker software and now this blog software, but honestly who cares, there have been FREE mods on vBulletin.org that does all of this stuff and these add ons have been available for a long time now.

I am not sure if these new products were worth stopping the devolopment of vBulletin for. I know a few vBulletin guys will say that they have been working on vbulletin... (yeah to put hooks in so these new products work with vBulletin!)

What happened to the cutting edge features? vBulletin was always two steps ahead of other forum platforms, but not in looking at other software packages it appears to me that vBulletin has fallen behind the times.

My first gut reaction to when I read the news that vBulletin has been sold was "this is the end of vBulletin"

What vBulletin needs to do now is tell us their plans for the future. What if anything is planned for vbulletin? What new features are they working on?

Dont get me wrong I love vBulletin, but I also feel that its losing some of the aura it once had as being the best forum software anywhere.

Lets hope with the sale the once again focus on the important product... vbulletin itself.
                          Yup I run a BIG Board.

Comment

• Re: Scott

Hey Scott, Nice to see someone else from CT on here. I agree with you in terms of what VB has but I would still say its the best forum software. Why else would we be here? =)

You sorta amplified my point about the yearly members fee though. We are paying yearly and still seeing other forum platforms with more options and then some with the same options for free. No names given...

VB is still the best in terms of support, hacks and mods. They have that part beaten. Not to mention security and security updates when a flaw is discovered. Maybe they have fallen short in terms of super loading with tons of useless options for the general user but you can usually find what your looking for at vb.org.

I dont think its going to be the end. I hope this is the new beginning. I think after reading all of the posts in here, they might consider keeping all of us happy! I feel im posting to much here so ill be quiet for a bit and just keep reading posts.
                            Last edited by dkon26; Sat 7 Jul '07, 7:27pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by bboarddotcom View Post
                              The members access fee is just profit.

Not true. Extra staff have to be on hand to handle support for the members. Making an annual payment simply helps defer that cost. Im sure part of it is profit, but not all of it.

Why all this discussion about price increases. I am amazed by some of the posts that are speculating large price increases. Who said there was going to be a price increase? Who said if they do increase the price that it would be an uncomfortable amount? What if they only raised $10? would that be ok with you? What about if they just eliminated the leased license? Would it be all THAT bad?

First - you have nothing to complain about yet, because nothing has happened, been announced or even been aluded to. You all just guessing. Seems most of the posts here talk about all the terrible things. How about some of the possible good things, like fresh capitol and additional programming staff so newer, faster, more feature loaded versions of vB can be released quicker. Maybe that additional staff could be dedicated to developing add ons like the blog or a photo gallery or a CMS package or whatever.

Many of you seem to be speculating, and only speculating about the negative. Some are outrageous as well, like the 'enterprise' license selling for $1000 -- please. I have a hard time beliving we're all gonna get stuck here.

Give them a chance. Dont worry until there is something to actually worry about.
                              vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                              vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
                              Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

• I agree its all speculation but its good that people get their concerns out in the open. If everyone was silent, how would that go? At least they know that we are watching closely and maybe with all the speculation, IB will soon release some kind of notice.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X