Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But it won't last - I've never seen Jelsoft as visionary or having good product management skills, they were just lucky to be early in the right market and did a decent but conservative job of expanding the current product; they never took any risks or reinvested significantly to grow and take the company to the next level. They were happy with their status quo - never a good thing in the software industry.
    While the rest of the post is pure speculation you have to admit this statement is pretty much right on.
    I was in on both ends of a buyout, company I worked for was sold and me and my partners acquired a company. One of 2 things will happen. Everything will remain the same with the exception of new products being developed faster to catch up to the rest of the market and probably a few more devs being hired to make this happen.
    Or, IB cleans house bringing in their own team after a short time of observing the way things happen behind thet scene. IB, like any company, wants to make money and wants their companies to grow. If they feel the development cycle is slow, which will effect the bottom line, they will speed it up by replacing staff. I would imagine they already have a set of goals and roadmap laid out for Jelsoft with specific timeframes to meet those goals. If they aren't met you would see wholesale change.
    IMO, this is the best thing that could have happened for us as customers. Lets face it, Jelsoft has lacked direction for a while. It can only get better. The names and faces might change, but, in the end this is what needed to happen.
    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• I have to agree that Jelsoft is run by a group a good technicians, however, they never have a visionary leader to lead the company to expand. Take a look at IPB, they don't have good technicians as Jelsoft, but they know how to do business. They even provide forum hosting service.

EDIT: If it were Google, not IB that brought vB, we will all be happy, even It turns out to be a google commerical software, not a free one.
      Last edited by logicola; Sat 7 Jul '07, 6:28am.

Comment

• Originally posted by logicola View Post
        I have to agree that Jelsoft is run by a group a good technicians, however, they never have a visionary leader to lead the company to expand. Take a look at IPB, they don't have good technicians as Jelsoft, but they know how to do business. They even provide forum hosting service.

EDIT: If it were Google, not IB that brought vB, we will all be happy, even It turns out to be a google commerical software, not a free one.
        It be nice if google could assist the developers with making an internal search engine for vBulletin.

Comment

• Originally posted by AWS View Post
          While the rest of the post is pure speculation you have to admit this statement is pretty much right on.
          I was in on both ends of a buyout, company I worked for was sold and me and my partners acquired a company. One of 2 things will happen. Everything will remain the same with the exception of new products being developed faster to catch up to the rest of the market and probably a few more devs being hired to make this happen.
          Or, IB cleans house bringing in their own team after a short time of observing the way things happen behind thet scene. IB, like any company, wants to make money and wants their companies to grow. If they feel the development cycle is slow, which will effect the bottom line, they will speed it up by replacing staff. I would imagine they already have a set of goals and roadmap laid out for Jelsoft with specific timeframes to meet those goals. If they aren't met you would see wholesale change.
          IMO, this is the best thing that could have happened for us as customers. Lets face it, Jelsoft has lacked direction for a while. It can only get better. The names and faces might change, but, in the end this is what needed to happen.
          I agree a lot with what your saying, I also think vBulletin have sat on there "forum only project" for way too long now without any vision for expanding the product in years gone by. Which like you say is not a good idea in the forum software market, especially with all the decent Free forums boards on offer now ready to take a chunk out of vBulletins future sales.

And it's not as though vBulletin has not been bringing in the sales over the years to expand either. I totally agree also when you said they will sit, watch and read and then make a decision what to do here. I think there are going to be some shocks myself in the next few months.

Comment

• I like to think optimistically and hope that the vBulletin team now has more finanical resources. I am looking forward to vB version 4 and hope that it surpasses IPB 2.3; two thinks I really like about IPB is their AdminCP and their User profile / My Controls setting, it's much more integrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by logicola View Post
              I have to agree that Jelsoft is run by a group a good technicians, however, they never have a visionary leader to lead the company to expand. Take a look at IPB, they don't have good technicians as Jelsoft, but they know how to do business.
              That's wrong. Matt is an excellent programmer

Comment

• Originally posted by transverse View Post
                I consider Programmers to be a kind of technicians. vB is good at the tech part. No one would deny it. I won't say IPB is bad.. just in general not good as vB. Howver, Jelfsoft is not good at doing business. I think the staff would secretly admit it.

Bill Gate, Steve job are good technicians too , on the hard and soft side of computers. But not all technicians like them have evolved to successful business leaders.
                Last edited by logicola; Sat 7 Jul '07, 2:10pm.

Comment

• Looking forward for great new products

Comment

• I am so shocked about what some of the IPB staff said on their forum about this. How unprofessional - specially aimed at Jason H.

Comment

• Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                      I am so shocked about what some of the IPB staff said on their forum about this. How unprofessional - specially aimed at Jason H.
                      same here - I was very surprised.
                      Peggy
                      ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart View Post
                        same here - I was very surprised.
                        Its really shocking. I thought they hired professionals to do support or w/e his job is but it seems hes just a fool ready to take down vBulletin whenever he can. He should at least make another account to do that...ridiculous and embarrassing for a professional company like IPB!

Comment

I am so shocked about what some of the IPB staff said on their forum about this. How unprofessional - specially aimed at Jason H.
                          Yeah, I was a bit surprised also at that "Jason H" comments as well and thought it was very un-professional of him also. when your staff on a site it's different than being just a member, you have an image to project across, and he should have known really to bite his lip, no matter what he thought about the vB buy out.

But that's IPB for ya!
                          Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 7 Jul '07, 1:57pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by transverse View Post
                            Except he has changed his pricing policies more times then some change their underwear. At least Jelsoft hasn't done that....
                            Last edited by Wheels; Sun 8 Jul '07, 12:03pm. Reason: Fixed typo.

Comment

Its really shocking. I thought they hired professionals to do support or w/e his job is but it seems hes just a fool ready to take down vBulletin whenever he can. He should at least make another account to do that...ridiculous and embarrassing for a professional company like IPB!
                              I'm also a bit shocked at the comments of a couple of vB customers on their forum as well. Talk about adding fuel to their fire.....
                              Peggy
                              ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart View Post
                                I'm also a bit shocked at the comments of a couple of vB customers on their forum as well. Talk about adding fuel to their fire.....
                                Yeah, but we didn't start the bad mouthing first though, they did! We just retaliated back...

Anyway, normally they don't allow any dicussion over there about vBulletin, seems they've made an exception to that rule now.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X