Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPB (I'm a little annoyed really)

IPB (I'm a little annoyed really)

I just want to start by saying this is not me having a slanging match at there board, heck I use both IPB and vBulletin. But something as come to light while I've been hacking the IPB board I use which has made me realise there not daft (but I think it's wrong seeing as you pay to own the board).

Here is what started to catch my eye, I noticed in the IE browser at the very top were it shows your site name like this: "My Site - Invision - Microsoft Internet Explorer", that of course it showed "Invision" in the middle. So I search for this code in the templates to change it to something that linked to my site for SEO, and could not find it anywhere. Well eventually I find it hard coded into a php file. Not a problem there, it's now changed even though they went out there way to make it as hard as possible to find

Then suddenly I realise there is no option in the settings to add META TAGS, Mmmmmmmmm. Do they not want you spoiling there IPB and Invision tag or something, with site related keywords you might add. Again this was fixed, I installed a hack that lets you add META TAGS on all pages. Another job done.

Then I hover my mouse over my LOGO in the header to see it says "IPB" as an ALT message instead of my site title, Jesus, how much Invision site link back do they want from software you just bought. Well this has yet to be sorted out, but it will be sooner or later to say my site title instead of IPB, again for SEO.

My point after all this, is this. First of all they hard code the Invision title in the IE header. Then they use IPB alt for the logo you use, Then they make sure you don't add the META TAG's by not adding that option by default to do so. This all spells one thing. They are totally absolutely obsessed with self advertising and not giving you an easy way to alter it either.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 30 Jun '07, 3:03pm.

I think you're reading too much into things. For one alt/title tags on links don't really add that much weight to your links. Not only that but it's not of any SEO benefit to them as it's their keyword linking to another site
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Not sure I totally agree with you there, I've read articles about the alt tag on homepages being picked up by search engines and effecting your SEO, which is why they recommend you don't use alt tags on images on your homepage. well images like little post icons for example.

I'm only quoting what I've read. It might not be that good for SEO as a whole and have little effect, true yeah like you say, but it does have an effect from what I've read in the past, so it's not to be ruled out completely.

Comment

Why don't you move to vBulletin?

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
          IPB (I'm a little annoyed really)

I just want to start by saying this is not me having a slanging match at there board, heck I use both IPB and vBulletin. But something as come to light while I've been hacking the IPB board I use which has made me realise there not daft (but I think it's wrong seeing as you pay to own the board).

Here is what started to catch my eye, I noticed in the IE browser at the very top were it shows your site name like this: "My Site - Invision - Microsoft Internet Explorer", that of course it showed "Invision" in the middle. So I search for this code in the templates to change it to something that linked to my site for SEO, and could not find it anywhere. Well eventually I find it hard coded into a php file. Not a problem there, it's now changed even though they went out there way to make it as hard as possible to find

Then suddenly I realise there is no option in the settings to add META TAGS, Mmmmmmmmm. Do they not want you spoiling there IPB and Invision tag or something, with site related keywords you might add. Again this was fixed, I installed a hack that lets you add META TAGS on all pages. Another job done.

Then I hover my mouse over my LOGO in the header to see it says "IPB" as an ALT message instead of my site title, Jesus, how much Invision site link back do they want from software you just bought. Well this has yet to be sorted out, but it will be sooner or later to say my site title instead of IPB, again for SEO.

My point after all this, is this. First of all they hard code the Invision title in the IE header. Then they use IPB alt for the logo you use, Then they make sure you don't add the META TAG's by not adding that option by default to do so. This all spells one thing. They are totally absolutely obsessed with self advertising and not giving you an easy way to alter it either.
          Oh no! How dare IPS attach to their names to their products! I guess Microsoft is a horrible company for having the Microsoft name on their splash screen, on their movie making software, etc.

Honestly, if you're complaining that IPS has too much advertising within their products (which can be changed, perhaps not easily, but changed nonetheless), then maybe you shouldn't run a bulletin board at all. I don't see what makes vB any "better," per se, last I checked, there is a lot of self-promotion of Jelsoft within the ACP, as well.
          Forums

Comment

It's IPB, not IPS, IPS is the modding site.

Comment

It's IPB, not IPS, IPS is the modding site.
              No, IPS is the company that makes IPB and other products, IP.Beyond is their official modding community site.

But frankly, rereading your post, I fail to see any real evidence that IPS is more "obsessed" with "self-promotion" than Jelsoft, phpBB, etc. Let's look at vBulletin. A default installation, hmm... It has a "vBulletin" logo that also has "vBulletin" on the tooltip text. Let's also not forget that its default meta tags also promote Jelsoft and vBulletin, with words like "jelsoft," "vbulletin," "vb," "bulletin board," etc.

Look at phpBB. Gee, it also has a default banner that says "phpBB" with "phpBB" tooltips. It seems to be you picked IPB intentionally to start another "IPB vs. vB" thread, even though you claim otherwise.
              Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                Let's also not forget that its default meta tags also promote Jelsoft and vBulletin, with words like "jelsoft," "vbulletin," "vb," "bulletin board," etc.
                Yes, but at least the option is there to change those META TAGS in a second and add your own to help promote your site with keywords, at least Jelsoft give you META TAG option.

You see IPS, as you call it. Don't even give you that option FULL STOP, ask yourself why they don't? You don't really have to have an IQ of 100 to work that one out.

Comment

Yes, but at least the option is there to change those META TAGS in a second and add your own to help promote your site with keywords, at least Jelsoft give you META TAG option.

You see IPS, as you call it. Don't even give you that option FULL STOP, ask yourself why they don't? You don't really have to have an IQ of 100 to work that one out.
                  Well, that's true, but it's not like you can't change them, it just takes a little more work. If you couldn't change them at all, then that's an entirely different manner. All I'm saying is that most of the points you brought up can also be applied to vB, phpBB, SMF and all the other popular bulletin board scripts out there. It just seems fitting to focus on IPB when on the vB boards.
                  Forums

Comment

True, I'm not saying that all other forum brands don't do the same thing, just seemed a little more extreme to remove from IPB though compared to vB. And the lack of META TAG option, well that's the bit that got me really. It just makes it look as though, they don't want you adding keywords to effect there IPB tags for SEO.

Lets face it, META TAG is still an important feature for SEO, if you don't think so. Do a search for Movies for example in Google then view the source code of the top sites that get displayed, you'll find most have meta tags, becuase they know they have there use. So for a huge board like IPB to leave that feature out makes ME PERSONALLY feel, it was done for a reason. But thats my OWN personal view.
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 30 Jun '07, 6:26pm.

Comment

Interesting how the thread started, but not has gotten into a whole argument of vBulletin vs. Invision Power [again].

If it's that much of an issue, why don't you go to their site and post a suggestion or something? While it's nice you support vBulletin on some points, still, it would be better off being brought up over there.
                      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Google stopped using meta data in indexing for decades. Although the main stream now is to rely on off page factors, some search engines, like Yahoo!, are still using meta data (along with other factors, of course) in indexing their SERPs.
                        You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Originally posted by simsim View Post
                          Google stopped using meta data in indexing for decades. Although the main stream now is to rely on off page factors, some search engines, like Yahoo!, are still using meta data in indexing their SERPs.
                          I know Google doesn't rely anymore on meta tags, but as you point out other search engines do. So they have there use I'm sure you'll agree. If they didn't you wouldn't find any sites using them in there source code when viewed in IE.

And yeah, it have kind of turned into a vB v's IPB thread. But not from my point of view though. As I wasn't comparing it to vB. Although Quillz seems to be doing that though.

Comment

I know Google doesn't rely anymore on meta tags, but as you point out other search engines do. So they have there use I'm sure you'll agree. If they didn't you wouldn't find any sites using them in there source code when viewed in IE.

And yeah, it have kind of turned into a vB v's IPB thread. But not from my point of view though. As I wasn't comparing it to vB. Although Quillz seems to be doing that though.
                            A comparison is inevitable around here, all I'm trying to set forth is my own belief that IPS isn't doing anything "evil" or "wrong," it's their product and they should be allowed to add IPS references wherever they want. And I do agree with you (not sure I brought up the point yet) that it is needlessly complex to change the meta tags within IPB. It's likely been suggested in the past, hopefully it's something that will be added to IPB v3.
                            Forums

Comment

If you mean IPB 2.3 version, aready used it and it doesn't have that option to use Meta Tags.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X