Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAJOR problem with Mozilla Thunderbird!! HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Apple
    replied
    sorry - double post.
    Last edited by Alex Apple; Thu 21 Jun '07, 10:18pm.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Apple
    replied
    Your mail files are inside your profile (see the Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in "mbox" format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.
    Knowing where your profile folder is stored can be useful if, for example, you want to make a backup of your personal data.
    • On Windows Vista/XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ on Windows XP/2000 or C:\users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\ on Windows Vista, and the rest should be obvious.
    • On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\
    • On Linux, the path is usually ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/
    • On Mac OS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/
    %AppData% is a shorthand for the Application Data path on Windows 2000/XP/Vista. To use it, click Start > Run... (use the search box on Vista), enter %AppData% and press Enter. You will be taken to the "real" folder, which is normally C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data on Windows XP/2000, C:\users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming on Windows Vista.
    From the Mozilla Knowledge base. Good luck! Remember to manually backup your profile folders and then manually delete them before reinstalling Thunderbird for the import from OE.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex Apple View Post
    IIRC, it's to do with the prefs.js file getting corrupted. I've had this happen a couple of times - your mail is still there, but as the prefs.js file is corrupted Thunderbird can't see them.

What I had to do in the end, after faffing about with profiles for most of a day and getting nowhere, was find a converter (IMAPSize was what I used) to convert the Thunderbird .mbox (I think) files into Outlook compatible .eml files, and import those into OE. Then, do a fresh install of Thunderbird (I'd suggest moving your existing files away somewhere as a backup before deleting them in the original folder) and reimport the mail. You'll have to set up your rules and accounts again.

As soon as you've done that, might I recommend MozBackUp? If this happens again (and it may well - I've been struck three times now in two years) you've got a one click fix once you've backed up all your settings via that handy little util.
    Okay I've downloaded and installed 'IMAPSize', and am trying to convert the files as you've said.

Thing is, I can't see ANY '.mbox' files in the Thunderbird folder or any of its sub-folders. Where should they be?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by SSSlippy View Post
    Most web hosting companies especially on shared give you WAY more space then you can ever use, you are more likely to run outta CPU before u run out of space.
    And lucky for me I am a web host I only have the server's specification as my limit

Leave a comment:

• SSSlippy
    replied
    Most web hosting companies especially on shared give you WAY more space then you can ever use, you are more likely to run outta CPU before u run out of space.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by derfy View Post
    Whoa, how much space do you have?
    Unlimited when it comes to emails .

Leave a comment:

• derfy
    replied
    Originally posted by JakeS View Post
    I always just configure the programs to leave my emails on server... this way it can download them if I need to re-install.
    Whoa, how much space do you have?

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by welo View Post
    The number one thing to do with ANY email client is move your mail store folder to another drive and back it up at least once a month. That way if you ever have to repair or wipe the app it won't take your mail down with it.
    I always just configure the programs to leave my emails on server... this way it can download them if I need to re-install.

Leave a comment:

• welo
    replied
    The number one thing to do with ANY email client is move your mail store folder to another drive and back it up at least once a month. That way if you ever have to repair or wipe the app it won't take your mail down with it.

Leave a comment:

• someuser190826
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex Apple View Post
    As soon as you've done that, might I recommend MozBackUp? If this happens again (and it may well - I've been struck three times now in two years) you've got a one click fix once you've backed up all your settings via that handy little util.
    Anything similar to MozBackUp for Mac?

Leave a comment:

• Alex Apple
    replied
    IIRC, it's to do with the prefs.js file getting corrupted. I've had this happen a couple of times - your mail is still there, but as the prefs.js file is corrupted Thunderbird can't see them.

What I had to do in the end, after faffing about with profiles for most of a day and getting nowhere, was find a converter (IMAPSize was what I used) to convert the Thunderbird .mbox (I think) files into Outlook compatible .eml files, and import those into OE. Then, do a fresh install of Thunderbird (I'd suggest moving your existing files away somewhere as a backup before deleting them in the original folder) and reimport the mail. You'll have to set up your rules and accounts again.

Last edited by Alex Apple; Mon 18 Jun '07, 12:57pm. Reason: added converter name

Leave a comment:

• Chousho
    replied
    Click start > Hit My Computer Fly over to your main drive (one windoze is installed on) fly into Program Files Find Mozilla Thunderbird right click thunderbird.exe hit create shortcut find your shortcut that you just through onto your computer right click it find target should be something like
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" then at the end of exe add "-ProfileManager" then click your shortcut.
    Yeah, I was about to post that it's "-ProfileManager".
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile

It sounds like somehow Thunderbird is using a blank (or default if you set up a different one) profile. Check out the page I linked to above.

Also, you don't have to do all of that jazz through Command. On your desktop shortcut for Thunderbird, right click, go to Properties. Select the shortcut tab, in Target it should say:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" - ProfileManager
    Edit to wherever yours is, but mine is default, so yours might be as well.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
    Hey, again thanks for the help, appreciate it. When I enter that and press ok I get the following:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

...I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what. Is there another way to check how many profiles there are if I can't get it to work this way?
    Click start > Hit My Computer Fly over to your main drive (one windoze is installed on) fly into Program Files Find Mozilla Thunderbird right click thunderbird.exe hit create shortcut find your shortcut that you just through onto your computer right click it find target should be something like
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" then at the end of exe add "-ProfileManager" then click your shortcut.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Sorry Hit That start button fly to run and hit in C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe -ProfileManager and see if their is more than one.

yeah his going to know where the command line is if he doesn't know how to enter commands aye?
    Hey, again thanks for the help, appreciate it. When I enter that and press ok I get the following:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

...I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what. Is there another way to check how many profiles there are if I can't get it to work this way?

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
    Where do I enter that command? Sorry I'm a real novice with stuff like that. Could you provide more detailed instructions?

Thanks so much!
    Sorry Hit That start button fly to run and hit in C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe -ProfileManager and see if their is more than one.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Most likely at the command line...
    yeah his going to know where the command line is if he doesn't know how to enter commands aye?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X