Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
    Any ideas?
    If know how to get to vBulletin.com, what is stoping you from going to xbox.com
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/membe...iptionplan.htm
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/?WT.svl=nav
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/features/silverage.htm

Comment

I think people moan about the price because its jsut not worth it atm with very few games. Only those real sony fans would get one right now. Although I myself dont have an xbox (my bro does though), I do have a ps1 and ps2 and I would defo get a PS3 next year or year after to keep my collection going lol.

I was thinking about buying an XBOX360 this coming fall but have really been second guessing that simply because it doesn't support Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray movies are more plentiful and varied than anything in HD-DVD. If I wanted I could spend $600 on an XBOX360 with the HD-DVD player and then another $500-600 on a Blu-Ray player or get a PS3 for both and save $500-600 dollars.

Really, except for Blu-Ray, the featuresets on both are pretty much the same. Both have a couple of games I would probably like. I am just torn because Sony's customer support as a whole just sucks so I am not too happy about giving them more money. If someone came out with a Blu-Ray addon for the XBOX360 or Wii, I would be happier.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Maybe people say ' damn you microsoft for not including the hd dvd player in the xbox 360 ', well, I think one of the reasons is, they make extra money on the side, selling it separately, and another reason is probably because MS knows damn well that the format war isn't over yet and that it might turn out to become obsolete, and then they can just introduce a bluray version of it over USB too.

I got a wheel for the xbox the other day, here's the setup

Comment

For me it is less about a format war and more about many of the movies that I want to buy are exclusively on Blu-ray discs. Add in buying a new gaming console and it really makes sense to save money by combining the two. Also the fact that there are 411 mainstream movie titles released on Blu-Ray and only 50 or so on HD DVD kind of points the consumer where the war is heading.

Still looking at the 360 but not as a movie player, just a game console. Can save a couple hundred bucks by not getting the HD DVD addon.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I don't care about movies on Blu-Ray. I'll take a regular DVD any day. I wouldn't mind having a Blu-Ray burner for my PC to backup files though.

Comment

I rather have both formats survive, as I still use Cd's / DVD to save my images and videos on both. I see them both being around for the long run, unless Paramount Pictures or Universal Studios drops out.

I thought HD DVD had 170 titles and 300 more coming out this year? but then you did say mainstream titles.. I did not see 411 titles, just 264 and new release for this year. I did not buy a DVD player until last year and it was one of those cheap $25.00 that can play all cd formats and had HDMI, component ports and some fibre optic for sound. The thing is made from cheap plastic and seems fragile. It still works after a year thou..

I am still waiting for Halo and I will buy xBox 360 after. Maybe the HD DVD player once I know if it is backwards capable.

Comment

I didn't buy my Xbox to watch movies on, although i have seen a massive amount of HD DVD's available.

And if i was to go with any HD movie platform, i'd go with HD DVD as it's more generic and readily available to anyone, as apposed to blu-ray being sony property. that's the way i see it anyway, correct me if i'm wrong.

As for the gold/silver account, i was never sure how the silver account worked. from what i could tell you can use it free on weekends with silver?

gold costs around £39.99 ($75-ish converted, but might be cheaper for americans, usually is)

Good games: Gears of war is a MUST. Dead rising is fun for a while. shadowrun if you're into online multiplayer ala halo 2. but buy it second hand it's not worth the full price for what you get. and viva pinata if you're into harvest moon type games. rainbow 6 for a good FPS. and oblivion for a great RPG.

There's probably loads more to the list, but i haven't had my 360 long enough to search for many games.

OH, and the gamerscore is a great idea for giving games replay value (i'm an addicted gamerscore farmer)

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  For me it is less about a format war and more about many of the movies that I want to buy are exclusively on Blu-ray discs. Add in buying a new gaming console and it really makes sense to save money by combining the two. Also the fact that there are 411 mainstream movie titles released on Blu-Ray and only 50 or so on HD DVD kind of points the consumer where the war is heading.

Still looking at the 360 but not as a movie player, just a game console. Can save a couple hundred bucks by not getting the HD DVD addon.
                  I don't know where you got those figures from. Maybe things are vastly different in the US but amazon seems to show the real picture:

Bluray:
                  http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...rd_i=193642011

HD-DVD:

Certianly in the UK, HD-DVD is far more widespread in the major chains than blu-ray.
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
                    I thought HD DVD had 170 titles and 300 more coming out this year?
                    There are only 43 listed on the official HD DVD site. That is where I got my numbers from.

I did not see 411 titles, just 264 and new release for this year.
                    Again, the number is from the available movies on the official Blu-Ray website.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                      I don't know where you got those figures from. Maybe things are vastly different in the US but amazon seems to show the real picture:

Bluray:

HD-DVD:

Certianly in the UK, HD-DVD is far more widespread in the major chains than blu-ray.
                      Both of your links are exactly the same and lead to a HD DVD listing. And it shows a lot of duplicates. There are at least three listings for "The Matrix" with varying special features which I don't really care about. Interviews get boring after about an hour. I don't want to watch 35 hours of them.

I do understand that in Europe that HD DVD is more popular than Blu-Ray. Its the opposite in the U.S., at least on retail shelves. I go to the local retailers and they may have 10-15 HD DVD titles on the shelves and rows upon rows of Blu-Ray. Granted I haven't looked at Best Buy but I wouldn't shop there even if they were the only store in town. Since we're a big fan of Disney (Buena Vista, Disney, Touchstone, Miramax studio names) in the household, Blu-Ray makes more sense due to the exclusive contracts.

I actually don't think either format is going anywhere in the next 3-5 years so eventually a combination drive will be needed for any movie viewer. Only one company makes a combo-drive that I am aware of right now and it is $1200 for the basic model. It will come down eventually but most other manufacturers are locked into exclusive contracts to support one format or another for the moment.

My post in the thread wasn't to make this into a format war. Its to point out the one driving feature of the PS3 which is Blu-Ray compatibility. If you watch movies from Disney, 20th Century Fox, Sony, Paramount, or MGM then Blu-Ray is the way to go. The only large U.S. studio to exclusively support HD DVD is Universal with Warner Bros being one of the only ones to support both formats. If you don't plan on using the console to play movies then that shouldn't be an issue.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

It seem the list varies depending what part of the world you live in.
                        Paramount & Warner Bros support both
                        http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/
                        http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...w=nowavailable

Does anyone have HD DVD for xBox 360, cause I like to know if it can play DivX or what other formats it allows to play on that machine. I guess I can wait for the new version that is suppose to be release this year.

Comment

I was thinking about buying an XBOX360 this coming fall but have really been second guessing that simply because it doesn't support Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray movies are more plentiful and varied than anything in HD-DVD. If I wanted I could spend $600 on an XBOX360 with the HD-DVD player and then another $500-600 on a Blu-Ray player or get a PS3 for both and save $500-600 dollars.

Really, except for Blu-Ray, the featuresets on both are pretty much the same. Both have a couple of games I would probably like. I am just torn because Sony's customer support as a whole just sucks so I am not too happy about giving them more money. If someone came out with a Blu-Ray addon for the XBOX360 or Wii, I would be happier.
                          Is there actually a difference in quality from a normal dvd to a bluray / hd dvd if the TV doesnt support HD quality movies?
                          Originally posted by Floris View Post
                          Maybe people say ' damn you microsoft for not including the hd dvd player in the xbox 360 ', well, I think one of the reasons is, they make extra money on the side, selling it separately, and another reason is probably because MS knows damn well that the format war isn't over yet and that it might turn out to become obsolete, and then they can just introduce a bluray version of it over USB too.

I got a wheel for the xbox the other day, here's the setup

Is that the new wireless one?

Yeah I think normal dvds will still be around for many years to come.
                          Originally posted by harmor View Post
                          I don't care about movies on Blu-Ray. I'll take a regular DVD any day. I wouldn't mind having a Blu-Ray burner for my PC to backup files though.
                          Yeah agreed.
                          Originally posted by Bema Jinn View Post
                          I didn't buy my Xbox to watch movies on, although i have seen a massive amount of HD DVD's available.

And if i was to go with any HD movie platform, i'd go with HD DVD as it's more generic and readily available to anyone, as apposed to blu-ray being sony property. that's the way i see it anyway, correct me if i'm wrong.

As for the gold/silver account, i was never sure how the silver account worked. from what i could tell you can use it free on weekends with silver?

gold costs around £39.99 ($75-ish converted, but might be cheaper for americans, usually is)

Good games: Gears of war is a MUST. Dead rising is fun for a while. shadowrun if you're into online multiplayer ala halo 2. but buy it second hand it's not worth the full price for what you get. and viva pinata if you're into harvest moon type games. rainbow 6 for a good FPS. and oblivion for a great RPG.

There's probably loads more to the list, but i haven't had my 360 long enough to search for many games.

OH, and the gamerscore is a great idea for giving games replay value (i'm an addicted gamerscore farmer)
                          It says silver membership is free:
                          Xbox 360™ and Xbox Live® feature two levels of membership, the premium Gold service and the free—yes, free—Silver status that is available to all Xbox 360 owners (if you purchase the Core system you will need an additional memory unit or hard drive).
                          http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/features/silverage.htm
                          Both of your links are exactly the same and lead to a HD DVD listing. And it shows a lot of duplicates. There are at least three listings for "The Matrix" with varying special features which I don't really care about. Interviews get boring after about an hour. I don't want to watch 35 hours of them.

I do understand that in Europe that HD DVD is more popular than Blu-Ray. Its the opposite in the U.S., at least on retail shelves. I go to the local retailers and they may have 10-15 HD DVD titles on the shelves and rows upon rows of Blu-Ray. Granted I haven't looked at Best Buy but I wouldn't shop there even if they were the only store in town. Since we're a big fan of Disney (Buena Vista, Disney, Touchstone, Miramax studio names) in the household, Blu-Ray makes more sense due to the exclusive contracts.

I actually don't think either format is going anywhere in the next 3-5 years so eventually a combination drive will be needed for any movie viewer. Only one company makes a combo-drive that I am aware of right now and it is $1200 for the basic model. It will come down eventually but most other manufacturers are locked into exclusive contracts to support one format or another for the moment.

My post in the thread wasn't to make this into a format war. Its to point out the one driving feature of the PS3 which is Blu-Ray compatibility. If you watch movies from Disney, 20th Century Fox, Sony, Paramount, or MGM then Blu-Ray is the way to go. The only large U.S. studio to exclusively support HD DVD is Universal with Warner Bros being one of the only ones to support both formats. If you don't plan on using the console to play movies then that shouldn't be an issue.
                          I think if the PS3 had more games I would have definitely gone for a PS3 but atm there are barely any games and I can just sit here all summer waiting for new games to come out. I would rather get an xbox 360 now for the summer and get a ps3 next year when more games are out and blu ray is more popular and the ps3 price drops.

I wonder if sony will make a "slim" version of the ps3. I have a feeling the sony team make them big on purpose to make slim versions :P. It happened with ps1 and ps2 .

Thanks a lot for the feedback .

Comment

I already said it was free, i just didn't know when where or how it was free.

Cheers for the link though, even though i'm on gold it's good to see what available.

Comment

I wonder if sony will make a "slim" version of the ps3. I have a feeling the sony team make them big on purpose to make slim versions :P. It happened with ps1 and ps2 .
                              Possibly but the Playstation team has new management now. Most have left to "pursue other ideas" after the problems with the PS3 release. Going from #1 to #3 in the industry has to hurt with a new product loss.

As for movie quality, without a television upgrade probably not but HD is the way to go and prices are dropping fast. With support for traditional 4:3 television pretty much over, this will only continue.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Possibly but the Playstation team has new management now. Most have left to "pursue other ideas" after the problems with the PS3 release. Going from #1 to #3 in the industry has to hurt with a new product loss.

As for movie quality, without a television upgrade probably not but HD is the way to go and prices are dropping fast. With support for traditional 4:3 television pretty much over, this will only continue.
                                Ah ok. I doubt I will be getting a new tv soon just for watching movies. I am not that big of a home movie fan. I watch movies in the cinema when they are out instead .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X