IPB new look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    New? It looks like a new color scheme, not a new style.
    Correct. It was designed mainly to simplify the CSS skinning overall.
    Forums

Comment

Originally posted by harmor View Post
      I remember someone posted a study that said blue is the most inviting color. I forget the details so I cannot confirm what I have just said.
      I recall a study by Microsoft which said that blue was the colour that garnered the best user response, with red and yellow used to complement it.

Comment

Those new colors are really depressing to look at. They should have just stayed with blue, it was a really nice look for a default style.
        Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

Originally posted by Mayers View Post
          Those new colors are really depressing to look at. They should have just stayed with blue, it was a really nice look for a default style.
          I dunno, I always feel pretty neutral when I'm on web pages, I'm usually more concerned with the content than the colors. But besides, even if some would call it depressing, the whole point is that it's much easier to edit than was the older skin. So, you can bring back to old blue very quickly. I think that's supposed to be the appeal of the skin, not what it initially looks like.
          Forums

Comment

I've been a customer there for some time...Thinking of switching to vB in the future, not sure yet. Anyways, I have to agree with all of you - the default skin is better.

Comment

Yuck is all I can say.

Comment

Different colours, that is all.

Comment

When I was looking at buying a forum product I couldn't care less what style the forum had. I cared about the layout (in terms of ease of use), and that I could modify the style to fit my site, that was all.

I liked IPBs old default style, I quite like their new style. I like the layout a lot.

I dislike VBs default (3.x) style, and I think its layout needs improvement far more than it needs new features.

Personally speaking, I firmly believe the next true remarkable innovation in any forum product will not be yet another feature (Ajax etc.) but it will be with the layout and how the forum/threads are displayed to the user. It is far too easy for forum owners (and obviously the developers considering the focus of development for many years (the same is true with IPB) to realise that many new users of the internet/or just forums, have NFI how to use them. More features just make it harder for them to use. Ever wonder why many forums have a lot of zero post registered users ? The site content can't be blamed all the time, after all they were interested enough in the site to register. Get back to basics - we have enough damn features.

And yes I am a VB owner, and have been for many years.

(and before anyone jumps in and says "well they must be morons if they can't work out how to use vbulletin, you are plain wrong. Not everyones forum is dedicated to the young and/or computer savvy).
                  Last edited by bahbah; Fri 15 Jun '07, 5:46am.

Comment

Originally posted by bahbah View Post
                    When I was looking at buying a forum product I couldn't care less what style the forum had. I cared about the layout (in terms of ease of use), and that I could modify the style to fit my site, that was all.

I liked IPBs old default style, I quite like their new style. I like the layout a lot.

I dislike VBs default (3.x) style, and I think its layout needs improvement far more than it needs new features.

Personally speaking, I firmly believe the next true remarkable innovation in any forum product will not be yet another feature (Ajax etc.) but it will be with the layout and how the forum/threads are displayed to the user. It is far too easy for forum owners (and obviously the developers considering the focus of development for many years (the same is true with IPB) to realise that many new users of the internet/or just forums, have NFI how to use them. More features just make it harder for them to use. Ever wonder why many forums have a lot of zero post registered users ? The site content can't be blamed all the time, after all they were interested enough in the site to register. Get back to basics - we have enough damn features.

And yes I am a VB owner, and have been for many years.

(and before anyone jumps in and says "well they must be morons if they can't work out how to use vbulletin, you are plain wrong. Not everyones forum is dedicated to the young and/or computer savvy).
                    These people that don't know how to use forums will only learn by trying it. Thats how you, me and every single person learned how to use the forums. They did not by a manual and read it.

I think vbulletin is already easy to use although Ajax can be intergrated into the registration page for quick checking of errors etc .

All IPB did was change the colours, that wont help users at all, its just for the company forums to look more professional I think, the old style was not as professional looking although it was nicer IMO.

Comment

... Ever wonder why many forums have a lot of zero post registered users ? The site content can't be blamed all the time, after all they were interested enough in the site to register. Get back to basics - we have enough damn features.
                      Forum software is no longer used for the sole purpose of a bunch of people joining and yabbering on, and a lot of zero post registered users does not necessarily indicate inactivity.
                      Indeed, quality of, and access to content, high readership and a large volume of visitors can indicate success of a site, and it's the tailoring of the features and functionalities provided that enables a forum software to become far more than it's original intention.

Thanks vB
                      Mark

Comment

Looks like just the main color was tweaked
                        Sound District

Comment

Originally posted by MJM View Post
                          and a lot of zero post registered users does not necessarily indicate inactivity.
                          I was trying to imply that a lot of them get stuck once they have registered and cannot post topics because they find the interface too confusing.

Originally posted by MJM View Post
                          Indeed, quality of, and access to content, high readership and a large volume of visitors can indicate success of a site, and it's the tailoring of the features and functionalities provided that enables a forum software to become far more than it's original intention.
                          Provided people can work them ... yes.
                          Last edited by bahbah; Fri 15 Jun '07, 11:22am.

Comment

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                            These people that don't know how to use forums will only learn by trying it. Thats how you, me and every single person learned how to use the forums. They did not by a manual and read it.
                            I agree, but really why should they have to ? There are so many competing ways now to communicate with others, surely making a forum more accessible is worth the time investment.

I think vbulletin is already easy to use although Ajax can be intergrated into the registration page for quick checking of errors etc .
                            Maybe, or perhaps invest the time in making the non-javascript version easier as well, and then move on to ajax.

In my experience the registration system is ok on vbulletin. It's after that where people struggle.

Comment

Can't remember but there was a site that had a very cool tutorial that took you around pages and showed you the button to click etc (it was actually live). I think it was microsoft or yahoo..cant remember now. Probably too complex for vbulletin to include.

Comment

I'm glad vB doesn't use the colors I chose because the last thing I want is to have my site look like a software developers site.
                                Color is a pretty important aspect or signature of a site.
                                I know that when I have multiple windows open on my computer, the strip of color visible on each overlay indicates which section, even sections within my own site that I have open and which to close.
                                This is also important when an article or discussion references multiple areas within a site that requires having multiple windows open, and when compiling an article or making a post that requires having multiple windows open.

I was trying to imply that a lot of them get stuck once they have registered and cannot post topics because they find the interface too confusing.
                                True, many of our members are computer challenged.
                                We have converted a hidden forum linking to a private Help Desk which has served well to assist members having difficulties on the use of the site.

Example of another user friendly feature needed possibly in the form of an addon Receive all post per forum/User subscriptions manager

Yep, more bells and whistles can make a site confusing to some members, fortunately vB provides the ability to remove the ones not necessary to one's site. Unfortunately because they are not provided as addons nor have simple on/off switches, upgrades are becoming increasingly more laborous, to revert templates and ensure that modifications to remove extraneous clutter aren't going to break the board.

Can't remember but there was a site that had a very cool tutorial that took you around pages and showed you the button to click etc ...
                                I'd like to find out more on how to make these tutorials ... how much diskspace do they require?
                                I can't imagine vB providing this along with the software do to the fact that sites are set up differently.
                                Mark

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X