Microsoft Vista Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Vista Question

Does anyone know how you can change the limit on the number of files which can be opened simultaneously in Vista. Right now it looks like you can only open 15 files simultaneously. If you choose 16 files then the Open option disappears.

I have a 3.6 GHz P4 processor with 3 Gb of RAM and and 256 MB video card, so I don't think I'm pushing my system to the limit trying to open 20 .jpg files at a time in Photoshop where the total size of all files is less than 1 MB!

It's not an end of the world thing, but does become a little frustrating when you have something like 300 files that need opening, but you have to count out 15 at a time!

And yes... I know... get rid of Windows and that will solve my problem.

Thanks for any help if you know a way to change this limit!

Only 15 files? Is this in their explorer, or a specific program?

Comment

Its a DoS attack file limit set, though not related to a DoS attack, the size of the enclosure is limited to 15MB..
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
        Its a DoS attack file limit set, though not related to a DoS attack, the size of the enclosure is limited to 15MB..
        Isn't that what my router stops anyway? So why does Microsoft stop it too?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
          Isn't that what my router stops anyway? So why does Microsoft stop it too?
          Not everyone is behind a Router
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
            Not everyone is behind a Router
            Oh Yeah I forgot about those old 54k people.

Comment

No... not a DDos attack. This is in Windows explorer. For example, if you open a folder that has 20 .mp3 or .jpg, etc. it will only allow you to open 15 simultaneously.

Here are a few pics that can hopefully help clear up what I mean. As you can see in the first one, it shows Open and has different options if only 15 files are selected. If you select 16 files, then Open goes away.
              Attached Files

Comment

What i am saying is, the set limit uses the same registry key and limit as the DoS attack limit, and it shouldnt be raised...
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by dynamite View Post
                  No... not a DDos attack. This is in Windows explorer. For example, if you open a folder that has 20 .mp3 or .jpg, etc. it will only allow you to open 15 simultaneously.

Here are a few pics that can hopefully help clear up what I mean. As you can see in the first one, it shows Open and has different options if only 15 files are selected. If you select 16 files, then Open goes away.
                  Oh I see, I dont even see preview with 12 items.. I'm going to checkout the registry as I never leave anything as it should be

Comment

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Accessibility\ATs\windowtrackingzorder\StartExe

Joe is it that as Microsoft will not let me touch it?

Comment

I don't think that's the setting Jake

Comment

Well ok then I'll search again in a bit.. Just gotta finish up a convo with my 3 of my self (Yes I'm running 3 msn's at once) lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Accessibility\ATs\windowtrackingzorder\StartExe

Joe is it that as Microsoft will not let me touch it?
                          They are not forbidding you, they're strongly recommending against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                            They are not forbidding you, they're strongly recommending against it.
                            Indeed.. I'll find a way around it like I do with a lot of limits for stuff

I'll look in a minute.. I'm now p'eed off and listening to "love" music to carm me down..

Comment

It irritates me that they limit how many files I choose to open. If I want to drag my computer to a crawl, then that should be my option. Just put up a caution message stating "are you sure you want to open 200 files?" You shouldn't have to do a regedit or any other hack to get this to work

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X