Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best text editor actually?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I use EmEditor because of character encoding and other neat features.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

    Comment


    • #17
      E Text Editor for Windows is promising.

      It's still in beta and it's feature set is still a work in progress. It's looking to be a clone of TextMate for Windows - the developer is working with TextMate's developer to make it work with TextMate's bundles, etc.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
        Are there any text editors out there that show a webpage display of the coding as you do it. So you can see as you code how it will look online
        I think any rich-text editor will do this, so try Dreamweaver, FrontPage or Nvu.
        Forums

        Comment


        • #19
          Another vote for TextPad
          Webmaster / Administrator
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
            I use EmEditor because of character encoding and other neat features.
            What character encoding features that this editor provide & not others?

            Originally posted by Quillz View Post
            I think any rich-text editor will do this, so try Dreamweaver, FrontPage or Nvu.
            Dreamweaver & FrontPage are more categorized as IDEs rather than rich-text editors.
            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Dream View Post
              What's the best text editor actually?
              Very subjective, it's the same as asking a mechanic what are the best tools, a lot will say Snap On others wont.

              I know that I am more productive with certain tools over others depending on the job, and that will vary from person to person.
              I wrote ImpEx.

              Blog | Me

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by BassX View Post
                E Text Editor for Windows is promising.

                It's still in beta and it's feature set is still a work in progress. It's looking to be a clone of TextMate for Windows - the developer is working with TextMate's developer to make it work with TextMate's bundles, etc.
                Nice... I've been hoping for a TextMate clone/port to Windows and/or Linux for a while. Hopefully this is it.
                Forums

                Comment


                • #23
                  The E TextEditor looks very interesting, thanks for sharing the link. I'm gonna try it out.

                  Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                  Very subjective, it's the same as asking a mechanic what are the best tools, a lot will say Snap On others wont.

                  I know that I am more productive with certain tools over others depending on the job, and that will vary from person to person.
                  Not sure what to tell you... I was looking forward for a discussion about the best text editors, not the actual best text editor, I wrote it wrong. I'm looking for something that can beat Homesite for me in features, usability etc. It would be cool if you could say what are the best tools you describe for you and for what purposes you use them.

                  Also, I'm not so sure I need a text editor that highlights EVERYTHING, but that's me. Highlighting even the $ sign in PHP seems a little too much, like EditPlus does.
                  Last edited by Dream; Thu 7th Jun '07, 12:20am.
                  Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    UltraEdit here

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      i use Notepad++
                      The first Unicode Urdu vBulletin Forum
                      http://www.urduvb.com/forum

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Dream View Post
                        It would be cool if you could say what are the best tools you describe for you and for what purposes you use them.
                        In that case I use jEdit for just about everything as I do a lot of dev where its best to have a comprehensive and easily customizable IDE, having a big list on online plugins makes that easier to manage, Textpad as a scratch pad.

                        On a minor point, having it in Java means I can run it on a server and export the display so it doesn't matter what desktop I'm on I don't loose the context of my dev environment.

                        All barning the version control is in there at the moment.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

                        Blog | Me

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          My personal preferences are:

                          Java - eclipse
                          PHP - Ultraedit
                          C# - Visual Studio
                          Lisp - emacs

                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            What are you programming with LISP for, Dean?
                            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by simsim View Post
                              What are you programming with LISP for, Dean?
                              I did a module at university this year on Software for AI. We used LISP to develop a semi-intelligent knowledge base for our coursework, and after despising the language at first, I grew to love it. It isn't ideal for all tasks, but it's great for others, as is the case with most programming languages.
                              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Yes, I know LISP is used extensively in AI-related projects. I read about it many years ago, got introduced to it's basic syntax, but never considered learning it. Was the project related to linguistics?
                                You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X