Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to take out screws that have lost there groove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take out screws that have lost there groove?

I am having a hell of a time removing screws that have lost there groove. Its just a circle now! Everytime I struggle the worse it gets.

Wow! Anyone else have trouble with this? How do they fix it?

Edit:
    The screws are in my phone! They are small and dangerous to force out!
    Has anyone tried something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAM-SCREW-RE.../dp/B000NBVJKG ?
    Last edited by someuser190826; Mon 4 Jun '07, 2:52pm.

If you have a Canadian Tire store outlet, you can ask them about a screwdriver that can remove a rounded out robertson screw head. I seen a commerical on this, it bites on the sides and looks like a philipes driver. Another option is to drill it out and turn in reverse slowly.

Comment

Can you wedge something underneath the screw head and kind
      of lever it up? If you can do that while carefully turning the
      screwdriver it might just work. Use a magnetized screwdriver
      if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrienne View Post
        Can you wedge something underneath the screw head and kind
        of lever it up? If you can do that while carefully turning the
        screwdriver it might just work. Use a magnetized screwdriver
        if you have one.
        Whatever you do, do NOT use a magnetized screwdriver on a mobile phone. I'm pretty sure it could damage your SIM in the same way it can damage a hard-drive.
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

A SIM can easily be removed.
          Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
          Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Nope, never had to unscrew my phone. I don't pay much for my phones (iPhone might change that) and have had no reason to open them up. Once it is simply broken. I move sim card to next phone and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
              A SIM can easily be removed.
              This is true I'm sure it could end up damaging something else in there though!
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

uhm. why don't you use a Dremel to make a new groove? I'm into RC nitro cars and in this hobby we constantly strip screws. it's not even a problem worth mentioning because it doesn't even take 5 minutes to fix the problem

Comment

For computers I end up using my hands

For that, I have no idea

You could try what Greps said.

Comment

I don't get it .. you unscrew screw using your hands? If they have those things on top to grab on I can imagine, but otherwise .. are they all lose screws in your system or something?

Comment

I've dropped loads of screws in systems, even gone inside the heatsink (On the older systems back in the day, when it had the older type of processors (P2) and the weird heatsinks(Ones you had to unscrew from the board) )before, but never lose them , depending on how tight it is tighter it is the easier it is for me to grip and twist(Flat Screws)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X