Cgi Vs Php

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cgi Vs Php

Hi i have heard people say cgi and php are the same speed but isnt php faster and i would like to know how it is and also why is vbullen better then ubb and what are some down sides that ubb has and vbulletin doesnt cause i am trying to convince a site to switch to vbulletin.
    My FFXI Linkshell Website
    - http://www.stealthvertigo.com

I'll assume that when you say cgi that you mean perl, if perl is run with mod_perl, then yes it can be fast. But for it to work fast, it just like php, must be programmed right, which in my own opion is the main problem with UBB. Perl stock doesn't support man things such as MySql, postgres, orcale, gd, zlib, and other things, it requires Perl Modules, to include this feature, PHP on the other hand offers this functionallity. On the case of Perl Modules, thats personally my favorite feature of perl, thats its modular.

UBB is notiours with high system usage, recently 2 hosts, have banned the use of YaBB and UBB on their shared services. One of those companies is Ventures Online, which is a very good host, and to maintain their great services they have banned the use of those perl scripts....

Hopefully I have answered a majority of your questions, becuase vBulletin.com has a policy of not discussing other BB systems, which is a good idea, and much better than IP's of just deleteing the thread and pretend it isn't there.....

Comment

Perl stock doesn't support man things such as MySql, postgres, orcale, gd, zlib, and other things, it requires Perl Modules, to include this feature,
      Those modules are included with Perl...

Comment

Hmm... PHP vs. CGI...

What happens when you run PHP as a CGI module.

Oh yeah that is right, PERL is not CGI. PERL scripts are accessed through CGI but that doesn't mean they are the same thing.

CGI is an Interface that allows Webserver access other application.

Both PERL and PHP has it place.. PERL is great at manipulating files and data. It was not developed to run websites, that is just a side job it was thrust into and did well at.

PHP is designed from the ground up and is itself based on PERL. PHP 1.0 was simply a series of PERL scripts itself. However now it is compiled and has its own engine but can't ignore its roots. PHP is designed to run webpages and it excels in that.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X