Question on switching from UBB to vbulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on switching from UBB to vbulletin

Hi Folks! I am the non-tech admin of a discussion site that has been using UBB software. We seemed to be doing OK until we recently "upgraded" from UBB 5.47 to 6.04. In a bit over a month we have been disabled 3 times by our webserver host because our site was putting too much pressure on the server. It's not a bandwidth issue, but "pressure on the server". We like our webhost and need to do something. Our choices are to go back to a previous UBB version, which means that we start all over because we won't be able to convert everything backwards...or we move to a different software. That's why I'm posting here.

Questions:

Does vbulletin software put as much pressure on a server as the new UBB software?

For those familiar with UBB, is there anything we lose in terms of functions by making the switch to vbulletin (I like the fact that there is a way to see how many views there are to a post rather than just responses)?

Is there any reason NOT to do the change to vbulletin?

These may seem like foolish questions to ask on a site dedicated to vbulletin folks, but I'm assuming that honesty will reign. I'm pretty upset that the other company made an upgrade that actually has caused problems for our webhost and, as I said, the fact that we don't appear to be able to go back and save all data in the conversion back to the older version makes me feel like now is the time to contemplate a change in software. I would appreciate any responses.

Hello,

Does vbulletin software put as much pressure on a server as the new UBB software?
    The answer, most of the time, is no. However, you may want to ask your host how many concurrent mySQL connections are permited to their mySQL database; this is a major factor regarding speed. The biggest problem (with any bulletin board system in fact) is the number of concurrent users. If you've installed my Who's Online hack for UBB6, you should easily tell how many users are on your board and thus should have a rough idea.

Is there anything we lose in terms of functions by making the switch to vbulletin?
    The one major thing you lose in vBulletin is the simplicity that UBB provides. To many hard core vB users the ability to configure the nitty-gritty is an asset must but many others find that to be annoying. There's current a post in the V6 Q&A forum on this subject if you'll like to read more about that.

There is also the issue of people switching back to UBB because their hosts haven't configured PHP or mySQL correctly (recently cs.net thread here on UBBDev). Perhaps you should ask your host if any other sites on the same server you are on are running vB's and solicity opinion from them.

If you're only disatisfied with UBB because of the performance issue, you may want to wait for 6.1 (RCs, I hear, are being released to beta testers). It has some performance enhancements that may/may not enhance speed depending on you. Some people have said that the performance improvement over 6.0x is good but my own research thus far has contradictory results.

Meanwhile, if your host is turning your UBB off, you may want to disable UBB's search. I'll probably guarantee that the number one problem for hosts is the search feature. Secondly, you may want to reduce the front page to categories only. This won't force the front page to update so it'll save you some CPU time. Thirdly, make sure cache is turned ON. If it isn't turned on, that your server will surely die.

I hope this helps you out. If you have any q's, don't hesitate to ask me either here on UBBDev (http//www.ubbdev.com).

qasic
    Last edited by qasic; Wed 18 Jul '01, 3:40pm.

Comment

I currently own both software, and here are "my" opinions:

No, not at all ... although any site with a huge amount of concurrent users will put pressure on the server, no matter what forum script you are using.

For those familiar with UBB, is there anything we lose in terms of functions by making the switch to vbulletin (I like the fact that there is a way to see how many views there are to a post rather than just responses)?
      Well, if you put a "vanilla" UBB and vBulletin side-by-side, you'll find more features built-into VB that you would otherwise need to "hack" into UBB ... and yes, post views are in VB2...

Well, obviously if your server does not support MySQL and PHP, then you won't be able to use vBulletin. I can't find any reason NOT to use vBulletin, except maybe if you're too used to the UBB interface and don't want to try something new...

Here are some pluses for switching to VB2:
      1.) You can convert your UBB6 files to VB2 in just a few minutes. And it will all work well (I should know, I switched mine).
      2.) VB2 is cheaper than UBB6
      3.) VB2 is much faster than UBB6.

I still use UBB6 in one of the sites I created, because they didn't support MySQL/PHP, and because the owners of that site said they didn't want to switch to something they're not familiar with. UBB6 is a pretty good forum script, but I would be lying if I didn't say vBulletin is just better
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

qasic and Tolitz......Thanks for your replies!

qasic......The search feature has always been turned off and the Cache is turned on. Because I am not a tech kind of person, we have not added anything to the UBB software. Yes, it's easy to use, but right now we HAVE to make a switch from UBB6.xx or we risk being booted off of a good hosting service. I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm upset that UBB would do an upgrade that would be harder on servers. It puts people like me in a bad position. I did the upgrade because I thought the software would be faster, not slower!

Tolitz........The issue is really one of putting less pressure on the server we're on. The number of users has been high for a while, but we did not crash the server or get disabled by our host until the upgrade to 6.04. If vbulletin can solve my problem, I'm game. The only real question is whether or not vbulletin puts less pressure on the server than UBB 6.04 if both had the same number of users on at the same time. I think that's the best way to phrase my question. And, yes, our host does have PHP and MySQL on their servers already, but apparently do not have a vbulletin forum on one of their servers so cannot help me when I ask which software would be easier on their servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Scherzer
          The only real question is whether or not vbulletin puts less pressure on the server than UBB 6.04 if both had the same number of users on at the same time. I think that's the best way to phrase my question.
          Under optimal conditions, with competent server administration and competent software/hardware management, I believe VB2 is still going to put less pressure on a server than UBB6, mostly because of its use of MySQL rather than flat files.

Of course, it goes without saying that your mileage may vary...
          OPEN TECH SUPPORT
          "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Brian,

Here's a few questions for you:

1) Who's your web host? Maybe some vBers have experiences with them that they can share.

2) How many concurrent users does your Board generally have?

3) How many new messages per day?

4) What versions of PHP and mySQL does your host run?

All things being equal, I believe that vB 2.0 will be easier on your host's server than UBB 6.0x. However this does depend on PHP and mySQL being up-to-date and configured correctly.

Qasic is right - one option is to wait for UBB 6.1 to see if that solves the problem. Also I could be wrong, but I think that Infopop may have a script available that will 'downgrade' your forums to UBB 5.4x. You might want to check into this.

Having said all this however, I don't think you'd go wrong by switching to vB. vB has many more features and is significantly faster. I'd suggest downloading and installng the vB Lite version first just to make sure it runs on your server. Good luck!
            Last edited by Steve Machol; Wed 18 Jul '01, 5:34pm.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

jake say - vbulletin is mo betta!

Comment

smachol.......I'll do my best to answer your questions and I thank you for lending your thoughts!

1. We are on Prohosting.com and have been since Feb. 2000.

2. I have no way of knowing how many concurrent users are on at any one time. We have 2200+ registered members, but I suspect that less than 500 are active.

3. I'm not sure I can state how many posts are done each day, but I can tell you how many "page views" we have. On the busiest day ever, we had 22,000 page views. 8000-12,000 is much more typical.

4. When I asked support at Prohosting about PHP and MySQL, they gave me the answer, but I didn't write them down. I remember PHP being 4.xx something and MySQL was one figure off of the vbulletin "ideal" that I read before I called the hosting service. The tech said that they tend to keep pretty current

Comment

So you average about 6 visitors a minute. You should have no problems on a shared account with that.

Comment

I concur with tubedogg. You shouldn't have any problem running vB 2.0 on a shared server. Frankly I'm surprised that UBB 6.0x was creating such a problem for you.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I suspect that the problem occurs when we have perhaps 10-40 logged on at one time. When I asked Prohosting what they thought the problem was, they seemed to be saying that the software spent too long doing whatever it does when people would be hitting at the same time. I can't complain about the server issues because we pay a ridiculously low fee per month (under $20).

Comment

Hello Brian,

One thing you may want to do now is install vBulletin Lite and have your users hammer away at it and see if prohosting.com complains about mySQL. It'll also get you a chance to familiarize yourself with PHP and mySQL without harming your actual board.

If you're in real dire straits, then by all means try vBulletin (I too, even as a dedicated UBB users would recommend it). I don't think you'll have a bad expeience with vB as people with bad experiences are in the REAL minority (I would guess < 5% of all paid vB users).

Good luck!

qasic

Comment

Frankly if a host cannot run UBB or vBulletin, then their servers aren't configured correctly or they are POS systems with not enough ram....

VenturesOnline just banned the use of UBB and YaBB on their shared servers for the fact that they used to many system resources, and many times looped and brought the server load up to 30...

And if you only have 6-12 concurrent users online then I really hate to say it, but its not a BB problem its a hosting problem, that they can't configure their own servers, or are over filling them.....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X