Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, NAV 2001 does not work, gotta be 2002 - 2002 looks better

Comment

I've installed it and it works great though it did take 2 hours to complete .

One niggle I have is with the slighly cartoony graphics feel, and that the top bar of each window is a bit too deep. But then I tried switching back to the Win98 skin and didn't like it .

I guess I'll be trying various skins when they are available. (Sensible ones not the crazy ones that ship with windows)
      Motorsport Forums

Comment

well, it managed to uninstall office 2000 when I upgraded. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Now I have to dig all over the frikkin house looking for my disks...
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
          I guess I'll be trying various skins when they are available. (Sensible ones not the crazy ones that ship with windows)
          Good luck...you may be waiting for a while. /me suggests you try www.windowblinds.net - you have to buy the program ($40) but you'll find a lot more skins than MS will ever put out plus more features than are available in the standard XP skinning environment. I even got one that I'm using right now that has a WinAMP control built into the bottom of the window. It's cool. (Called Dinks, BTW, and available here, among other places - and don't bother downloading the additional color schemes - you can change the color inside WB (you need v3 beta or RC to do that)).

Comment

Funny - mine did not uninstall my office (I was running office xp before the install though - don't think it should matter). Mine took no time to install, maybe 40 minutes (then again, I am running a 1.4 GHz pro (AMD of course no pentiums for me), 1GB ram o that may help things out a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin
              well, it managed to uninstall office 2000 when I upgraded. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Now I have to dig all over the frikkin house looking for my disks...
              Whoa, your message made me check out Office 2000 because it looked like it was still there. Excel and Word are fine. But, I need the disk to reinitialize Outlook. Fortunately, I know where it is.
              FWC
              White Sox Interactive Forums

Comment

All it did was look at the CD for Office 2000. It didn't reinstall anything, thankfully.
                FWC

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeFaygo
                  Oh yeah, NAV 2001 does not work, gotta be 2002 - 2002 looks better
                  Really? I have NAV 2001 (SystemWorks 2001 which includes it, actually) and I thought there were patches for it. Did you check? I'd hate to have to pay even more to upgrade that, as well.
                  Marc James
                  Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                  Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

I bought XP the other day and so far so good. I had ME before so almost anything would have been an improvement!

Other than my web cam (it just will not work! Im hoping the company will get some drivers out soon) everything seems to work ok and it hasn’t even crashed yet! The new look does take a bit of getting used to but after a few days Win 95/98/ME doesn’t look right! Im on the works machine at the moment (Win95) and wish they would upgrade a bit!

One thing that almost put me off upgrading was the activation thing. I had heard so many horror stories about how I would have to phone the Microsoft office in the USA etc ( ). Honestly you do not have to ring Microsoft! I did it through the internet and it was finished and activated with seconds (I have a pretty quick cable modem). So im not bothered if I upgrade the machine and it wants re-activating!

Comment

Unless games require XP, is there really any reason to upgrade to it from Win2K?
                      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

I like the customizing that you can do to it, you do not have to have some many programs such as windows blinds to modify looks now. As far as games, all games will stick to the standard:

Win95/98/ME/2k/NT/XP theme they have always had - the line will just be longer than it was

Comment

I've installed it and it works great though it did take 2 hours to complete .

One niggle I have is with the slighly cartoony graphics feel, and that the top bar of each window is a bit too deep. But then I tried switching back to the Win98 skin and didn't like it .

Goto http://www.stardock.net and download Windows XP blinds shareware. It integrates with Windows XP's built in skinning system and allows you to use WindowsBlinds skins.

One thing that almost put me off upgrading was the activation thing. I had heard so many horror stories about how I would have to phone the Microsoft office in the USA etc ( ). Honestly you do not have to ring Microsoft! I did it through the internet and it was finished and activated with seconds (I have a pretty quick cable modem). So im not bothered if I upgrade the machine and it wants re-activating!
                          You can do I think 6 major upgrades per 6 months (Plugging in USB devices/PS2 devices etc doesn't count), however if you do more than that (not likely) and you do have to reactivate it, eventually you will have to call them, since after a few reactivations, it won't let you do it over the internet anymore.
                          Last edited by damicatz; Mon 5 Nov '01, 5:12pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
                            Unless games require XP, is there really any reason to upgrade to it from Win2K?
                            I have XP Pro on my home machine and 2000 Pro on my work machine. I could order a pizza and have it delivered while I wait for 2000 Pro to boot. XP boots and shuts down very fast.
                            FWC

Comment

I have had XP home, and it has only crashed once in the month and a half that we have had it. It is the best OS from ANYONE yet! It does have quite a few new features, and some really good ones at that. A lot of you are making assumptions based on rumors you have heard, most of which are not true. If you want reliable info about MS products, services, and the computer industry, read PaulThurrots www.wininformant.com, and www.winsupersite.com for product reviews and information.

I LOVE WindowsXP!

Comment

Re: Yet another reason for me not to upgrade to XP

Originally posted by Susan
                                http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...kpt=zdhpnews01

Microsoft quietly announced today that they're not including support for Java in the shipping version of XP. Obnoxious. As if I wasn't already vowing not to use XP because I'll need "Uncle Bill's" permission to switch out a hard drive or add a burner or more RAM....
                                it automatically downloads JVM from windowsupdate as soon as you go to a site that requires it, so really theres no much to worry about.
                                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X