Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another reason for me not to upgrade to XP

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...kpt=zdhpnews01

Microsoft quietly announced today that they're not including support for Java in the shipping version of XP. Obnoxious. As if I wasn't already vowing not to use XP because I'll need "Uncle Bill's" permission to switch out a hard drive or add a burner or more RAM....

Comment

I agree - XP is a product being made for average Windows home users - a lot of advanced, power users like us see it like nothing more than Windows 2000 with a candy shell. Sure, it's supposed to have all the stabability and security of 2K, but us 2K users already have that! I doubt I'll use XP.
      Marc James
      Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
      Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

We just ordered Office XP (excel, publisher, word, etc) --- I'm gathering that this isn't the same XP? Or is it?

Comment

Carrie....ugh......Office XP is just as evil as Windows XP if not moreso....hope you enjoy calling Uncle Bill if you do any upgrading to your computer. < rant >Microsoft is really getting on my nerves. Much more of this and I'll be surfing full time with Opera and running Linux on my machine. If I was sure my hardware had linux drivers, I'd be learning more linux commands/how to run gui's on linux now. < /rant >

Comment

Or you could just use a Mac
            The Wiire

Comment

or just download the java files from the internet if you find that you really do need them.

Comment

I just don't see why ANYONE would need anything more than windows 98 or 2000 server. Windows me sucks crap and crashes all day long, xp offers nothing but marketing gimmicks for m$.

I LUV win2000 just the way it is and I ain't upgrading to crap unless m$ really adds something worthwhile, which has been NOTHING for the past 2 years. The last thing I need is a new os with no Java support, a new windows media player, and that's it.

Really there's nothing new in xp, nothing new that any end user would need.
                Well, there it is.
                - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

do i really have to say it? (see avatar)

Comment

Jake, the only problem with that is the prohibitive cost. Mac's are insane price wise not to mention that if I'm gonna learn a new OS, I'm not going to scrap the 2 computers I have AND pay $1000 more for the new one than another PC. A P 4 1.7 gigahertz from Dell tricked out is still $1000 less than the new G4 866.

As far as the download...yeash..yeah...I could download java support....but jeeeeeze....a new OS shouldn't take AWAY standards unless they're replacing them with new better ones. (Okay, I am dreaming here 'cause we are talking about Microsoft.)

The thing that's really giving me a chapped butt is that if I frequently upgrade/switch out computer parts, I'm gonna have to call Microsoft and get them to okay my upgrade. My first computer had so many upgrades by the time I was done with it that Uncle Billy wouldn't have recognized it at all. My current computer has already had multiple upgrades, and my other one, which we've had for 6 months has had 3 upgrades already. Considering Microsofts notorious support call times, I'd probably still be on hold for the first upgrade if I had to call for permission. Yeash.

Comment

jake say - p4 sucks, rambus sucks, g4 towers are way overpriced, iMacs are a good price, OS X v10.1 in september will roxor.

Comment

I guess the fact that Microsoft cannot legally distribute Java in any new OSes doesn't mean anything...

Sun sued Microsoft and won an injunction to prevent Microsoft from distributing Java in any new OS versions.

Personally, I don't mind I think Java is one of the worst and slowest implementations of running programs on any platform.

I have used Java based versions of Corel products, Oracle Products and many others and had no end of problems including crashing, destroyed data sectors and irrepairable harm done to PC's on multiple OSes including Linux, AIX and Windows.

If I go to a web page with Java Applets, I leave. I don't need bandwidth hogging lake applets or stock tickers when similar effects can be done in javascript with less bandwidth usage and problems.

I understand that JSP is a promising technology on the server end but haven't investigated it too much nor do I think it will impact the end user.

I don't need Java on my machine now and most likely won't need it in the future especially with better suited languages available to build cross-platform web applications. I also don't need it in my microwave, toaster or VCR.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
                          jake say - p4 sucks, rambus sucks, g4 towers are way overpriced, iMacs are a good price, OS X v10.1 in september will roxor.
                          I don't know if I could rightly purchase a machine from a company that continually says "We'll do better next year"... How many years does it take?

I am thinking about purchasing a Macintosh but it will be a used Mac using a PowerPC processor. Its only purpose would be to view websites in Macintosh Browsers. Which would be a step up from its current purpose as an Answering Machine.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I don't know why everyone hates MS XP so much - it really is going to be good!

Attached is the feature list/sales document for Windows XP Home Edition (which is not what most of us would want I think). I will do a seperate post in a sec for Professional.

[edit]
                            Okay perhaps not, it is half a meg which is too big for this board.
                            [/edit]

Comment

jake say - ms sucks.

except for win 2000.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X