Anyone interested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested

I know there are several vb sites out there but I have decided to start a un official vb resource site (hope vb dont sent the boys after me!) and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in this venture. I think I have just realised how much of a huge job I have on my hands!

Aren't there enough web sites already that do this? vbhackers. vbfans. taz. etc? besides vborg?

Comment

Yeah I know Floris, but I was bored! What can I say!

Comment

You're free to start another one!

Comment

dont spose you know where they got there skin from do you? I have seen that skin (with the black tabs) a few times but never seem to see it for d-load

Comment

vbfans made their own skin, I am sure other sides did the same.

I'd like to point out that you have to keep in mind that vBulletin is a copyright/ trademark. So if you start a community with the word vbulletin in the domain ask for permission to use it first. You can do so by contacting the business manager via a support ticket. The decision depends on the type of site, type of url, if it is competitive to Jelsoft, or if it is a non profit fan site vs a commercial site, etc. Additionally I'd like to point out that each work created by coders are their copyright by default. Make sure you have written permission from the holders of the copyright before you put their code on your site for download. And of course the usual copyright / license agreement from Jelsoft applies, so don't distribute any vBulletin files, etc. Oh, and it would be highly recommended to put in the footer on each page on your site "This is an unofficial Jelsoft site" or something like that, you can ask in the same support ticket for the details on this.

And if you wish to work together with me, feel free to query me on my site (outside of vbcom here) so we can discuss any colleague stuff (rather then competitor stuff).

I hope you find somebody, but please don't "trust" your fellow admin from the start. Don't super admin them, don't give ssh/ftp/email access, etc. And especially don't give them your customer details. Please understand we've seen various situations where a third party gets involved and walks away with the license, the database and half the ownership of a domain and data.

Best of luck, and I hope it works out well. I am looking forward seeing how you use your vB to build a new community.
            Floris
            Last edited by Floris; Mon 28 May '07, 11:49am.

Comment

The more the better Floris. That wasn't very constructive tho was it?

Comment

grrr im not much of a skin maker, do you know of any skins that have those "tabs" that are available to download?

Comment

Of the top of my head, no. Sorry. I am sure vBorg has a few template mods or perhaps somewhere on my site, where someone has written instructions for tabs.

Tabs are pretty easy though, they're just a xhtml/css menu. Using a template conditional you can determine which part of the site you're on (if you wish to divide it into sections)

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                    Aren't there enough web sites already that do this? vbhackers. vbfans. taz. etc? besides vborg?
                    vBFAQ too...

You mentioned yours so I thought I'd mention that one.
                    John

Comment

Yeah, dont forget us...

Think twice before you do it. I have seen many such forums start and fail in the last year. It seems everyone wants to ahve a vBFAQ or a vBFANS of their own, and ultimately what happens is that we could have a bunch of good people in 3-4 places instead of 30 such forums that are slow.

Better to join one of the ones that is already out there and help them.
                      Marco van Herwaarden
                      Last edited by Marco van Herwaarden; Tue 29 May '07, 12:09am. Reason: removed advertisement
                      vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                      vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
                      Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

Thanks Floris and Joey for all your words of wisdom, you have been a great help.

Comment

Originally posted by germinus View Post
                          I know there are several vb sites out there but I have decided to start a un official vb resource site (hope vb dont sent the boys after me!) and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in this venture. I think I have just realised how much of a huge job I have on my hands!
                          Seriously dude, forget the idea and choose something of interest to yourself like a Hobby site or something. There are more than enough vBulletin resource sites already out there. And I've seen loads of others who have tried to cash in the idea and fail, thinking they will be popular because it revolved around using vBulletin etc (doesn't work that way).

Most people will always come here or to vB.org. Your flogging a dead donkey if you think it will take off simply because it covers vBulletin resources. Listen to others like Floris, there giving you words of wisdom and experience of other who have tried the same thing!
                          MRGTB
                          Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 28 May '07, 4:26pm.

Comment

I have to agree with MRGTB here, not to throw cold water at you, but I think you should consider offering your help to websites that already exist. Of course I can bite my tongue and you can make a great website.

I'm wondering how you would deal with unlicensed people downloading mods and such from your website?

A great vbulletin resources website you could check out is the french one

http://www.vbulletin-ressources.com
                            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
                              I'm wondering how you would deal with unlicensed people downloading mods and such from your website?
                              I was thinking that before folks could download they would have to send me a pm on vb org so that I know they have a licence, I could then move them to a usergroup that has permission to download. That said, I have been on alot of the other vb sites and notice that there is no protection at all and people are free to download just by joining.

MRTGB

You could right in what you say, I am the kind of person that once I have an idea in my head I have to see it thru even if it is doomed from the start, if it does fail then I will move onto the next project which will be a skin site to cover skins on all formats from vb to ipb to nuke to coppermine. I am not aware of another site that does this.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X